Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car will not start, but is cranking over??

Cheers Chris. Fingers-crossed the car should be at OPC Brooklands by 1pm.

MarkGolf said:
Interested to know what your problem is, that was me googling and hanging around btw. :bye:

Thanks for your efforts Mark. I'll keep you posted.

s9ety said:
Nicholassss said:
He use Porsche specific tool or hand scanner?

He has a Snapon Diagnostics reader, which has had the Porsche Software uploaded to it. He was definitely connected and inside the ECU as my girlfriend was standing next to the windscreen, he noticed this and sprayed her with the washer jets :worship:

In all seriousness we we had options to read all over the car and different places. He was opening the bootlid, bonnet etc with it. So I'm sure it would have picked up some codes if they were showing. Come to think of it, there was an instrument cluster fail code, from when I was installing my headunit a weeks back. Which we cleared, so yes it must have been working.

I connected to my 911 turbo with my friends garage snapon diagnostic system. While it did connect fine and could operate things like you describe, it did NOT provide the proper P codes that a Porsche PIWIS scanner will provide, or what I ended up buying, Durametric.

The codes I got from it were very generic (and some were innacurate) and when I bought Durametric I then got precise codes which took me straight to the problem . So it would be worth getting someone with Piwis or durametric to scan it if your still stuck. His Snapon is the latest kit with monthly updates and all the bells and whistles

** just seen that post was 5 years old :grin: but its valid for anyone in the same position. Generic code readers are no use for proper diagnostics IMO

T8 said:
I hoped that there would be a conclusion to this thread as it might have helped me in making a phone call tomorrow morning. :frustrated:

My car is in a pub car park 60 miles from home after suffering exactly the same issues as the OP.

:sad:

ohh dear. Hope you get it sorted it speedily T8

I had a very similar situation with my 993 and it turned out to be the fuel pump. I managed to get a replacement with the correct bosch part number - half the price of the Porsche part

OK here's a dart.....

Clutch switch ? A £20 part and a 15 min fix ??

T8 said:
Fingers-crossed the car should be at OPC Brooklands by 1pm.

It's there.

Apparently it started and was limped 4 car lengths through the narrow car-park gate to the recovery truck by which time it stank of petrol.

Im sorry young man .. not good news but hopefully not too expensive ... Warranty i expect .

i have a couple of ideas but no point going at it in detail as its at the garage and they will soon be able to tell you what's wrong .

T8 sorry to read of your non start issue last night, sorry to be worse than useless relative to digitally controlled Porsches...hope the hit is none too hard.. :x

Iain always keen to learn via reading your "thoughts." :thumb:

I collected the car from OPC Brooklands today and it appears to be fixed.

They interrogated the OBC and discovered a fault code relating to the Coolant Temperature Sensor. A new one was fitted (under warranty) and all seems well.

I hadn't mentioned it previously but when leaving for 'The Fairmile' last Wednesday I did get a red flashing message, just for a few seconds, showing the coolant symbol and a monitor failure warning. It went out very quickly and no red ! was left in the dash. The gauges worked ok so I didn't think anything of it. I stopped en route and the car started ok. It was only after being parked for 3+ hours that the problem occurred.

I really hope that the issue is over but have a nagging doubt. I stopped twice on the way home and left the car for a while before re-starting it. It's been sitting on my drive for 2.5 hours. In another hour I will have recreated the scenario of last week.

Fingers-crossed.

T8 said:
..... In another hour I will have recreated the scenario of last week.

Fingers-crossed.

Started no problem. I'll do another 'dummy run' tomorrow before setting off for Silverstone on Sunday.

Everything seems back to normal. :dance:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back