Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT beeping noise

can i just confirm you have a tester connected , it talks to the park assist control unit and there aren't any fault codes ?

are you able to check the coding of this control unit at all ?

The video beep didn't sound like a PA in operation to be honest , im wondering if there is a fault with it .. also it should only work when in reverse ( your reverse lights do work don't they ? )

just a stupid idea .. put masking tape over the rear sensors and see if anything alters .

last question .. you don't have sensors fitted at the front do you as that would be an aftermarket kit .

Hi demort, I tried using durametric and it tells me I have no fault codes stored, nothing specific about the park assist module so I fear it might not be advanced enough to query it directly.

No parking sensors in the front bumper no.

I just went out to the car, popped it in reverse with the ignition on and there were no reverse lights. I'm assuming even with the ignition on the reverse lights should come on? As a check I put the side lights on and they came on.

Is this indicating the reverse switch?

Aghhh this gets interesting .. the PA needs to know its in reverse before the PA will work .. im wondering .. is there a fault with the reverse switch and the car thinks its in reverse all the time ..

To not have the lights work makes me think the bulbs have blown if this is actually the fault ... worth replacing one just to see if its on when in neutral .

Either way they should work ... not an mot failure i think but the rules change so often i can't be sure .

Im sure there will be an actual value in PA or maybe Tip that will say if reverse is indeed actuated to prove this .

Basically look through any values you can to see if anything reports the position of the reverse light switch .

We may .. just may be onto something here .

Now that is interesting. I'll stick some bulbs in / check the bulbs in it and see what happens with those.

I'm now wondering if it's exactly as you say and the previous owner took out the bulbs. If this is the case and it's down to the reverse switch is it straight forward enough to change?

if you can get under the car then yes .. but we are still at the diagnosis stage .. diagnose then replace parts ..

A bulb is cheap as is connecting a tester and seeing if you can find a value for reverse lights on or off is first.

Right, checked this out tonight, there were no bulbs in the reverse light section of the tail lights. I used a multi meter to check the bulb holders and even with the car only in neutral they were getting 12v.

So I think deMorts diagnosis of the car constantly thinking it's in reverse is bang on the money. I guess the next question is why?

Is there anything aside from the reverse switch that could be causing this or is it likely to be that?

if the car is a manual then just replace the reverse switch .. if its a tip then i need to check which component actuates the lights as there is a multi function switch and the lever itself .. i'm unsure atm which controls it .

My concern .. why would someone remove the bulbs and not just have the problem fixed if it was simple as it seems to be :dont know:

makes me think there might be more to this story but as always we work through it and we have a lead now .. something to do with the car thinking its in reverse all the time :D

It is indeed a manual. I'll get a new switch and I'll test the old one to see if it's closed permanently. We will get there! Appreciate the help deMort!

I swapped in my new reverse light switch tonight and while I have t had a chance to properly test it I did test the old switch and it was showing a complete circuit no matter if the plumber was up or down so seems fair that it was the culprit.

I'll post up for sure once the cars back on the ground but looks like you nailed it deMort, thanks again for your help

That does indeed seem to be the fault .. but i'm still struggling with why someone would remove the bulbs rather than replace the switch .. they are not that expensive :dont know:

I can also say .. i've not seen this fault in nearly 16 years working on Porsches !

Well done for preserving though .. job well done :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back