Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Idler / Tensioner bearing replacement

P0tential said:
Those are some cheap-o no-brand bearings, so generally I try to avoid them despite the low cost.

How are yours holding up?

If they last 25% of the time of the £18 ones they're still worth it, imo.

NotoriousREV said:
P0tential said:
Those are some cheap-o no-brand bearings, so generally I try to avoid them despite the low cost.

How are yours holding up?

If they last 25% of the time of the £18 ones they're still worth it, imo.

not if in the process of failure it takes out the alternator/power steering pump.... I also dont like the idea of a belt getting tangled around a crank pulley so for the same of a few quid extra (and it really is only a few quid), its probably worth speccing a 'decent' bearing if only for piece of mind :?:

Can anyone confirm if these bearings from bearingbasement are suitable for a '98?
Thanks!

Fit 3 new bearings last June. One just failed this morning. :nooo:

Hi Alex,

Which specific bearings did you fit that have now failed? Just replaced mine with SKF Explorer bearings so this update caught my attention :eek:

Any collateral damage or has it just gone noisy?

It was a FAG. Just bobbed down my local bearing place and they had an SKF one so bought that and just fit it now. The one that failed was on the tensioner pulley. I started the car this morning and it was whining. Thought it was either the power steering pump or alternator as I'd replaced the pulley bearings. Quick listen when I got to work with a home made stethoscope out some silicone tube and realised it was the tensioner pulley. Quick spin round the block to reset the lights enabled by the MAF disconnected and all seems ok now :)

Bearing was virtually seized solid and had munched both cages. :nooo:

Zub-911 said:
F
Just a case of pressing out the old and pressing in the new..
Freezing the bearing and heating the pulley may help.

So can you knock the old bearings out with a drift and press the new ones in using the socket and vice method at room temperature, or do you need to employ heat/freeze method to get the new bearings into the pulley?

All putting the bearing in the freezer does is attract moisture inside the bearing when you take it out.........ready to make it go rusty.

Very poor for any bearing to fail so completely and so quickly... especially as a branded (FAG) item and assuming it to be the correct spec. Nothing noteworthy when it was installed I assume, no errant hammer blows or accidental slips into the inner race? A defective item from manufacture probably.

I note that the SKF and FAG bearings I've removed have been France and Germany stamped, but the replacements have been stamped Bulgaria. Shouldn't have any bearing (pardon the pun) on quality but definitely some changes over the years where these things are made.

I'll be keeping a listen out for mine on top of all the other worrying noises lol :floor:

Alex said:
All putting the bearing in the freezer does is attract moisture inside the bearing when you take it out.........ready to make it go rusty.

I've never actually had cause to do this hence the question, but if I did I'd drop them into a sealed plastic bag first, rather than dropping them into the ice cream... ;)

The temperature of them when you remove them from the bag will still attract water, just like a condenser. That water will be on every surface including the races, cages and ball bearings. And because of the plastic seal it'll not come out that easy.

Alex said:
It was a FAG. Just bobbed down my local bearing place and they had an SKF one so bought that and just fit it now. The one that failed was on the tensioner pulley. I started the car this morning and it was whining. Thought it was either the power steering pump or alternator as I'd replaced the pulley bearings. Quick listen when I got to work with a home made stethoscope out some silicone tube and realised it was the tensioner pulley. Quick spin round the block to reset the lights enabled by the MAF disconnected and all seems ok now :)

Bearing was virtually seized solid and had munched both cages. :nooo:

This happened again to me on holiday doing 80mph on the A8 near Cannes. Pulley totally came off. Car had to be recovered and was locked in a compound. Totally threw a spanner in the works right before I was due home. Never doing this again!!!!!

:nooo:

I'll try and document it in a thread over the coming days.

I replaced the bearings in my pulleys 2 years ago. I only have about 5000km on them at the moment, but no issues. Sorry to see that yours failed, Alex, but if installed correctly it seems very unlikely that it was due to replacing a bearing. The original bearings in mine were FAG and AIRC I replaced them with SKF due to availability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back