Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Remote fob and memory seats issue - SORTED

Harvster

Silverstone
Ok, so this issue is now sorted but I thought it may be helpful to future forum users.

The issue started when I first purchased my 996 4S. It came with two keys of which one fob worked and the other didn't. The non-working fob lit up when you pressed the unlock button but did not remotely unlock the car. You had to manually unlock the car with the key and get it in to the ignition within 10 seconds before the alarm went off. The key then started the car fine but I wasn't content with this. After trying some of the suggestions on here and the web (several different efforts to wake the key up, re-pair it, clean it etc.) I took it to my local indy who said this was a common fault and it needs a new fob, £140ish.

This was then ordered and paired to the car and worked fine...EXCEPT the seat memory started playing up. I unlock the car and the seat moves all the way forward and the mirrors move down. Once the key is in the ignition, the car knows which seat position and by holding the key symbol or position 1/2, the seat and mirrors return to the memory position. This was becoming annoying as I couldn't get in with the seat forward so it was a case of unlocking, putting the key in to the ignition and then holding the memory button.

Why was the key remembering another position when it was remotely unlocked?? Well a trip back to the indy for them to tell me it is most likely 'operator error', a few hours later to be told it is actually something within the coding which they need to have a further look at, can I bring it back.

A little help from deMort who got it spot on. He soon told me that when the key had been originally set up, the indy had paired the remote to the car but failed to program the transponder to the same position (there are 4 possible positions, 4 keys)

So back to the indy and they solve the problem, after ordering the pairing sheet back from OPC apparently, they managed to 'line' the paired keys and transponders up correctly but claimed that this was more down to the previously faulty key being retained.

Happily, the car is now unlocked and the seat stays where it is or moves to its memory position if for some reason it is not in it. Hopefully this helps people if they have the same issue in the future.

Of course, a big thanks to deMort! :clap:

Basically when you code a key onto these with memory seats then it has to be on the same position ..

we have 1-4 for key codes .. memory seats and they MUST be both coded on the same position .. ie pos 3 for both ... transponder and remote need to be on the same number .

This is an old fault which every garage should know by now but can catch all of us out .

it's a glitch in the software which only affects memory seats .

non memory seats and you can code it where ever you like .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back