Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strut Brace Recommendations

Fulla

Hi All - Car is of to Centre of Gravity in August and I am thinking of getting them to install a strut brace.
Lot's of options I am sure but I would be interested to hear the forums opinions of which one I should go for.
The car won't be driven on track so consensus might be to save my ££ and spend elsewhere like a remap, which is the next on the list after the CofG visit.

A few thoughts here.

Still happy with my RUF for what it's worth.

Having done all three (CG, remap, strut) I can tell you that by a million miles CG and remap have more impact than a strut brace.

The CG refresh was a night/day change for my car. Remap (Wayne Schofield) was great. Frankly I doubt anyone can really tell if there's a brace in place or not, unless they track it.

Tobesetc said:
Having done all three (CG, remap, strut) I can tell you that by a million miles CG and remap have more impact than a strut brace.

The CG refresh was a night/day change for my car. Remap (Wayne Schofield) was great. Frankly I doubt anyone can really tell if there's a brace in place or not, unless they track it.

Hi T - Had CofG work their magic on the car about 7 years ago so it is in need of a new visit and I'll be back there on the 8th August.
Think you have answered what was in the back of my mind which is I won't notice the strut brace and should use the £ towards a visit to Wayne.

Strut brace

nickjonesn4 said:
I have this one. Nicely made, inexpensive, light, has made a difference

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsc...-brace-fits-turbo-s-c4s-rs-gt2-1989-1998.html[/url]

Looks like the one I have on my Coupe.

Can't say I've noticed any real difference but I do like the appearance it gives the frunk!

Unless you have a Cab, Targa or track the car probably will not make a great deal of difference. If you can get one for not much money then do so would be my advice otherwise spend your dosh more wisely.

Might be worth asking at CoG what their opinion is?

I have a Steve Wong one copy of the factory one I believe.
https://www.911chips.com/C2strut.htm
Any Mcpherson strut car will benefit but only if you are sensitive enough will you notice a difference.

Attachments

• modified_top_mounts_1_192.jpg
    modified_top_mounts_1_192.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 5,237
Endoman said:
I have a Steve Wong one copy of the factory one I believe.
https://www.911chips.com/C2strut.htm
Any Mcpherson strut car will benefit but only if you are sensitive enough will you notice a difference.

Quite right! I fitted mine after I had the Ohlins fitted and I think it was the inherent stiffness of their design (oversized and internal top mounts) that exposed the weakness in the front of the car. The brace has made a massive difference to turn in at high speed. Its fine margins of course but you will note that all the rs spec cars have strut braces :bandit:

It's also an easy DIY job.

Do that and the remap :grin:

I bought my strut brace from Gert at Carnewal.

It makes a difference to the initial turn in, removing the delay between turning the wheel and then waiting for the front to react.

So....ended up booking in to Wayne to work his mapping magic.
The only downside is that it is north of Manchester and I live in London...still at least the drive home will provide me with plenty of time to feel the difference!

Hi

I looked into the whole strut brace thing a while back. I decided that the RUF typed looked like the most effective, and the ones with the rose joints least so because of the inherent flex.

I ended up fitting this to my 993. As an aside not all 964 braces will fit 993's. This one was for a 964 and originally had 4 mounting holes. I had to cut it down to fit my 993.

It's very solid, does the job and fits under the carpet.

Berni

Attachments

• p3280005_746.jpg
    p3280005_746.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 4,015
  • p3280006_160.jpg
    p3280006_160.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 4,015

Attachments

• 47854332892_47bc7c6377_z_212.jpg
    47854332892_47bc7c6377_z_212.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 3,903
  • 47854332852_4a75832095_z_206.jpg
    47854332852_4a75832095_z_206.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 3,903
  • 40939853843_af9a326dd6_z_767.jpg
    40939853843_af9a326dd6_z_767.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 3,903
Hi

That is a very similar idea to mine from a construction point of view, but looks so much nicer!

Berni

berni29 said:
..but looks so much nicer!
Yeah, but for the price, it should have come with a Free Weekend Away For Two.. :grin:

Strut Brace

One has just appeared on eBay starting at £60. Apparently, it's titanium.

eBay item number: 183970308460

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back