Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP - with massive fuel leak

77szymon

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

so long story short..... I was no too busy and preparing myself on holiday as I'm off on Wednesday evening from Hull to Rotherham in my Porsche, today I discover massive oil/fuel mix on my drive way..... hey nothing to worry about!?

My hands just refuse to deal with it..... tomorrow early morning I will put this apart but perhaps some of you got same issue so worth to ask before I strip entire front... what that could be.... by the way it explains why I was smell fuel.

It is not visible on picture but leak starts from top could be leak on sending unit?

Attachments

• porsche_fuel_2_101.jpg
    porsche_fuel_2_101.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,650
  • porsche_fuel_1_545.jpg
    porsche_fuel_1_545.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 1,650
  • porsche_fuel_966.jpg
    porsche_fuel_966.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,650
  • porsche_143.jpg
    porsche_143.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 1,650
Pretty sure I read something can crack on the fuel sender / pump unit. This is located under the battery. Removal of the battery tray reveals a puddle of fuel on the top of said unit. Do some googling!

Just be careful as electrical sparks and fuel fumes dont mix well!!

The fuel sender unit is one of the things that was checked when I had my fuel smell issues (it wasn't that, but I read that the tops can split and then it leaks when the system is pressurised).

But your issue looks like a system leak as there appears to be a leak without the system being 'on' as it were. Damp areas on the car and on the road are never great to see. Not sure about the oil either - hopefully just road residue from the underside dissolved off perhaps?

Feel for you, and I hope it isn't too serious.

Goes without saying, whatever you do be careful - and I certainly wouldn't drive it with such an obvious leak.

77szymon said:
I was no too busy and preparing myself on holiday as I'm off on Wednesday evening from Hull to Rotherham in my Porsche,

Hope you get it sorted mate. Enjoy your holiday :wack:

it is look like filler pipe is leaking, can I do it without removing front suspension?

Attachments

• 2019_07_13_092427_160.jpg
    2019_07_13_092427_160.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 1,493
  • 2019_07_13_092354_185.jpg
    2019_07_13_092354_185.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 1,493
  • 2019_07_13_092318_134.jpg
    2019_07_13_092318_134.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 1,493
I think so. I removed part of my filler pipe to do the long aircon pipe. Once you remove your wheel liner you have access.

I can't understand why it would be leaking there unless the tank was so full it was halfway up the filler tube too, especially if it leaking when stood overnight?

As Alex says it's reasonably easy to get get good access to the filler tube area by removing the wheel arch liner.

I can only think its coming from a connector on the valve above and leaking down, but again without pressure I can't see that?

ok, all 3 pictures are done without liner, hard to see on pictures but aluminium filler pipe "darker colour" is covered in fuel, it is not leaking now but still smell with fuel around car but no surprise fuel still is visible on covers,

I'm leave it for now, just can't fill up to max, I think seal around filler pipe and tank is broken I can barely see some fuel on it, but then... how come fuel is on pipe in higher place then end in tank, could be fuel in pipe and pipe have some hole in it "corosion"?!

Also this must have somthing to do with it... I fill up car with 20 litres only "tank was empty" jump in car and fuel gauge was in same place as before showing empty....so I decide to fill up as normal to full and gauge restart itself showing full tank and working normal, but perhaps something get blocked?! :dont know:

I can't remove pipe from tank I need access from under car ..... and another 2 hands perhaps, so my plan is do it on holiday as I have access to proper garage.

Just for more information pipe from start is nice and clean up to hole in chassis where you can see on pictures some corrosion and dirt is around, I did blow through all brether pipes and valves without any problem so it is look like all working as should also no leak or fuel around it.

Now I'm not sure how to remove filler pipe from tank, google it and youtube it nothnig it is look like I will be first to post some info about it.

I think I know person who done it, hope he will put some info about DIY how to tear out pipe from tank :lol:

Attachments

• 162_184.jpg
    162_184.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,395
Studying your picture a bit closer and it look like the leak is within the chassis area so could actually be fuel leaking from the vent pipe or even from the top of the tank and this is the point it just happens to drip onto the filler tube.

The filler tube is easy to remove and as you do have the liner off already its even easier. You will need to remove the carbon canister (gives you more room) and all the connectors to it. Remove the valve at the top of the filler and earth connection if you also have this.

Inside the fuel flap area you will need to undo the bolt holding the fuel cap strap in place, this is also the bolt that holds the filler tube to the car.

Once everything is off and out of the way you can just twist/wiggle the filler tube out through the filler flap. Just be careful as there is a flap at the end of the filler tube (inside the tank) that stops splash back when cornering, this can sometimes get dislodged.

There are varying designs of this system over the years so there may be some slight differences to what I have said above.

As you probably already know the C4 tank doesn't show fuel unless you get a certain mount of fuel in it to register the sender.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back