Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 21
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 36
993 : 1993-1998 2
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 25
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

996ttalot
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Caution - Stop and think about tuning Reply with quote

Guys,

Please think about who you use for tuning and make sure they can provide you with what is actually going on with your engine post tuning.

This has to be the worse example I have ever seen on a car. I ended up putting the car back to stock it was so bad.

If you look at the ignition angle on the standard map 9971turbo image below, you see a nice positive curve and when you look at retardation the values for each cylinder are 0 so no timing pulled.

Now look at the shocking image Surprised - look at the timing curve and the amount of timing pulled out. In the retardation column for each cylinder a value of 192 is 0.75degrees of timing. I sometimes see 5-6 degrees pulled when a tuner gives too much too soon. Never have I seen the level of timing pulled as on this car. It is COMPLETELY UNSAFE.

So whoever you use, ask for the real world data to show you what happens when your car is tuned on boost. This is how engines let go.

I won't name and shame as it would be unfair, but as long as you ask for proof you can make up your own mind.

Ken

Shocking map.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  502.63 KB
 Viewed:  302 Time(s)

Shocking map.jpg

Standard map 9971turbo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  428.85 KB
 Viewed:  302 Time(s)

Standard map 9971turbo.jpg

911TEL
Albert Park

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why we should all go ( and hopefully we know why ) to someone like you Ken ..
Laughing

Lock em up I say !

lock
Brompton S2L Black edition

Luddite
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, your thread title sucked me in stronger than a wormhole in space...(-:

I have for many years followed so very many contributions on a one time Morgan forum where so very many folk thought they knew better than the original designers/manufacturers of the vehicle, and while there was no doubt some did, there were others who looked at the simple appearance of the construction of the vehicle and thought they would "improve" on some aspect of it, and some did very successfully too.... But the number of folk who turned up on the forums with the now legendary overheating problems, perhaps as the result of bigger cams, higher compression piston,s bigger carbs and all the other engineering imbalances so created, stressing perhaps 50 year old engine blocks, gearbox ratios and internals never designed to handle the higher levels of power, through to brake systems similarly stressed ... and that is just the tuned "original" engines... some folk go for modern even higher power units spending thousands to squeeze then finding the sump hits every speed bump.... Sigh!

Sure it can be fun to shoot the breeze quoting cam numbers uprated compression ratio`s, improved volumetric efficiency of new must have carbs and manifolds etc.etc.etc, but many such modified vehicles are sold on given all the possible issues that the mad modifier has utilised to improve his car`s performance which ended up destroying reliability fuel economy handling not to mention safety, and much else he never ever imagined, thus also in the process destroying his ability to enjoy his car..and at great cost.. hmm..?

Such cars can be sold on with information "lost" as to the modifications and some poor soul tries to get it to run reasonably using standard settings from the manufacturer for ign timing etc etc... and thus failing to get the machine to run at all reasonably, not to mention all the other possible imbalances built in by the chap who set out to improve performance... Thus in time there comes to be quite a number of folk turning up on the interweb with overheating, engines that will not idle, and drink copious amounts of fuel, the gearbox is screaming overload with all the wrong ratios and the brakes performance is lousy, not to mention the effect on general handling, ever seen a Morgan frame and suspension....? So those old cars can then acquire a rep for being pretty poor.. Even though on occasion they have been known to show a Porsche the way round a race track...... INCOMING... ROFL.

I kinda hoped the water cooled Porsche rep was similarly created, given so many folk enjoy modifying their cars... me too at one time... but having read Les` recent contribution under the subject line "IT`S BEEN A YEAR" where he reports :-

This was the 5th Porsche engine we have had to replace out of 8 cars.
All of them were OPC serviced.
All of them were well looked after,
None of them were revved over 3K until the oil was hot,
All of them allowed to cool down,
All of them had the oil replaced every 5K with the best available at the time (millers nano was in the Boxster),
None of them were over revved (3 had tip boxes) and
ALL of them were due to "Known Issues".

It seems Porsche problems may have been engineered- in by Porsche...? Which for me as an enthusiast of the marque is disappointing,having hoped that perhaps a 1% or so failure rate often suggested, could perhaps be excusable... hmm Question

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: