Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What happened to Jethro''s 911?

Griffter

I used to read evo but I'd don't any more. I don't use Twitter.

But I was reading an (actual paper) magazine the other day and there was a passing reference to Jethro's Bovingdon's 911 making 'funny engine noises" (then it said something about his Renault Clio).

I googled a bit but couldn't find anything after May 2018, since when he seems to have stopped writing/tweeting/blogging about the car.

I always used to turn to his 'our cars" column first when I read evo and I think it's fair to say he had a hand in influencing the generally favourable reconsideration of the 996.

Does he still have it?
Does he still write about it?

I think Porsche are building him a 3.4 X51 spec!!!!!! Dread to think how much it would cost us to have that done :D. Dream spec though!!!!

iOlly said:
I think Porsche are building him a 3.4 X51 spec!!!!!! Dread to think how much it would cost us to have that done :D. Dream spec though!!!!

I'll be amazed if they can put together a 3.4 x51 for a 996, the dual scavenge pumps are NLA and the last version they produced was fit for a boxster / cayman, not a 911.

MC

It's gone a bit quiet and taking forever, I guess we'll see in due course :D. He wanted X51 and to keep 3.4 because he likes the way they drive and deliver their torque but wanted it more reliable on track (think this is rebuild no.3 for the car).

I didn't think/realise OPC's where in to building customer engines to bespoke specs - I thought they just fit replacement engines.

He'd be much better off going to Autofarm/Hartech for a bespoke job that meets his desires.

Must be getting a good deal through Porsche Swindon.

It is an interesting comment, particularly given that the x51 produces more torque than the non-x51 and generates the peak power at lower rpm.

Power: 300 PS @ 6,800 rpm
Torque: 258 lbft @ 4,600 rpm
Rev limit: 7,300 rpm

3.4 X51
Power: 320 PS @ 6,600 rpm (corresponding to 252 lbft)
Torque: 266 lbft @ 4,750-5,500 rpm
Rev limit: 7,400 rpm

So probably not massively dissimilar to what you would expect from an increase in capacity.....

Irrespective of who is doing the work, unless they have some secret stock of NLA parts they will be up against it.

MC

My 3.7 X51-ish build produced cira 289 ft/lbs at 4900. - Hopefully a little more when it breaks in.

Unless they have a crate X51 engine available, as already mentioned, I know for a fact that the X51 scavenge pumps are non-existent, unless you want one that runs backwards, and this item is vital to provide more track oiling reliability.

crash7 said:
My 3.7 X51-ish build produced cira 289 ft/lbs at 4900. - Hopefully a little more when it breaks in.

Unless they have a crate X51 engine available, as already mentioned, I know for a fact that the X51 scavenge pumps are non-existent, unless you want one that runs backwards, and this item is vital to provide more track oiling reliability.

Exactly that. Unless of course somebody were to come up with a good alternative option for the pump :?:

MC

If anything a 3.7 will provide slightly more and at slightly higher RPM.

My 3.7 dynoed at 330 bhp at 6742RPM and 300 lbft at 4993 RPM on Hartech's dyno with no internal mods other than the enlargement.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back