Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

Noticed on the job tag it reads 3.6-3.9, presume that's bore reqs and throw of crank shaft limits capacity to 3.7?

With the stock engines the bore for the 3.4 and the 3.6 is 96mm (the 3.8 is 99mm IIRC).

On our engines we are running a 100mm bore.

The 3.4 crank has a stroke of 78mm and the 3.6 has a stroke of 82.8mm, with the 3.4 crank in the larger bore turning into a 3.7 (which is what I'm doing) and the 3.6 crank in the larger bore becoming a 3.9 (which Mister Corn is building).

(The 3.8 runs the 3.6/82.8mm stroke crank).

That one in the photo was a 3.6l block. Here are the three blocks. Two 3.4 to 3.7l concersions and one 3.6 to 3.9l.

MC

That's kind of what I thought, will it be necessary to mod the combustion chambers to suit the increase in bore size?
Or are the piston heads hollowed ?

Great project look forward to how they perform and your satisfaction with it all.
Presume you guys have a back ground in engine design/ modding?

I've modified one car engine prior to this- but the dirty/easy way, starting with a turbocharged engine and then upgrading the various parts.

Although with that said we did port the head- but that was as 'old-school proper engineering" as we got.

The Porsche engines are very much the purist route to response/revs/power- higher lift cams with longer duration, larger valves, extensive head work, larger displacement, increased compression etc etc.

As such the detail is beyond me- which is why we include a true expert with decades of experience designing and building race winning competition engines in our group of conspirators.

Also, I have to say Baz of Hartech has been incredible- without his input and insight it would have been extremely difficult to have got to this point.

To be very clear- this is not a Hartech project, if all three engines explode on the Dyno it's 100% down to us, but Baz, Grant and so on deserve huge credit for the help that they have given and if everything does go as planned it will be in large part due to them.

Dammit said:
Also, I have to say Baz of Hartech has been incredible- without his input and insight it would have been extremely difficult to have got to this point.

To be very clear- this is not a Hartech project, if all three engines explode on the Dyno it's 100% down to us, but Baz, Grant and so on deserve huge credit for the help that they have given and if everything does go as planned it will be in large part due to them.

As you say fantastic of Baz et al to provide support and guidance and the benefit of his experience. Makes me think of my apprentice days!!

It's almost holiday time, which means it's roof-rack time.

48482993111_5b9e6502c7_b.jpg

Just:

48483002776_f69d4b5b02_b.jpg

Where to?

I'm always deeply impressed whenever I get the roof rack out, the very chassis of the car was designed to accept the rack, and the rack itself is a beautiful piece of engineering. One of Porsche's engineers clearly wanted to be able to take something with them in their new car - who knows if it was a pair of skis, a canoe or a bike, but I thank them for their work.

Can you put the roof down with the roof rack on?
I don't know why but I think that would be so cool!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back