Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 911 for 'sporty-gt' duties?

Robertb said:
Mercedes AMG GT worth considering, available for around £60k now.

This is what came to my mind when I read the requirements too.

T8 said:
All the 911s you mention would fit your listed requirements although the 991 would suffer a little more from deprecation than the rest.

For something a bit more special I'd go for a Gen2 997 Turbo although you'd need to stretch your budget a little.

If £60k is the maximum there's plenty of 991.1C2Ss out there to choose from. Only higher mileage C4Ss are there at the moment but they're falling gradually.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

I was planning to get something next year; hopefully early next year!...

Much to go on 991's depreciating do you think?

Why the Gen2 Turbo over the Gen 1; what would be the advantages of the later model would you say?

Cheers :)

T8 said:
A 991 would be more comfortable but a Gen2 997 is still a very nice place to be.

Running costs of a 997 Turbo aren't as high as you'd think. Servicing is a little more expensive but everything else is similar. MPG isn't much different.

Sadly £60k probably won't get you a Gen2 997T.

If you're planning to use the car regularly a 50k mile 991 would be a bit high to start with but if you can get a c40k mile 991C4S for £60k go for it. :thumb:

I think I may have to try a 997 to compare with the 991 - are there any particular 997 models more comfortable than others?

Re: running costs; tax, Insurance and mpg all more costly for the Turbo, as well as the servicing you mention.

It would be used regularly, but not as a commuter/shopper!...small run-around for that....probably sub 5k/annum which will help keep the miles down.

I've seen them out there!...£62k for one with 38k on it and another for £58k with 52k miles.

spongebob squarepants said:
Wadsey welcome, first of all you're in the wrong place for anything other than a 911 and to be honest from your list it's conference v premier league.

You'll get plenty of opinions I'm sure, the 997 is a cracker but not so sure as a daily. The 991 beats it everywhere hands down, but you're on an enthusiasts site and the 997 has plenty of fans :thumb:

Obviously drive them all! (Then buy a 991) :grin: Remember especially as a daily high miles on a 911 is a big issue when you come to sell on, personally a low miler would be essential.

Ooh if you could just find another 10 k

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...rera-4s-pdk-immaculate-stand-out-spec/9744578

Thanks for your reply :thumb:

You don't consider the Vantage or an R8 in the same league?...but not enough luggage space in those anyway I reckon and the others on my list had pretty much been ruled out for the reasons stated - I probably should have left that bit out and just asked the 911 question! :lol:

It will be in regular use, but not really a 'daily' as such, not used as a commuter, probably sub 5k/annum which should help keep the miles down over time. As I mentioned, this will have to be a long term keeper as I won't have the funds to buy something like this in the future!

That does look very nice! 8)

James M-S said:
My advice is to go for 2wd. You'll get more luggage space for a start.

Traction won't be an issue due to the weight of the engine over the driven wheels.

If you are driving it lots in winter conditions, you're better off with 2wd+winter tyres than 4wd+summer tyres.

Just my two Penneth.

Happy shopping :)

Much difference in luggage space between the 2wd and 4wd?

I read reviews and seen videos (Evo) that preferred the C4S ove the C2S which had influenced my thinking!

Mad Mark911 said:
Welcome to the madhouse! I'm with Mr Squarepants! I've had an M4 Comp Pack, and sold my V6TT RS5 to buy a 991 C2S only 3 months ago. Buy the 991, because coming out of the 640d - you'll find the 997 too old, particularly when it comes to it's technology.

The RS5 is absolutely a super GT and massively quick off the line (think 3.5 seconds to 60)- but it's boringly efficient when compared to the 991 and it just doesn't interact with you in the same way. The feel of any 911 is superb, but the 991 demands fewer compromises than anything earlier.

The M4 is amazing on a dry road in warm weather. When you're in the mood. Hugely fast (because the 444bhp is actually more like 480bhp) and with almost zero understeer in the dry, it's lunatic fast. But put it on a cold, wet road and it's torque spikes mean that the rear wheels are constantly trying to spin up and it wants to oversteer everywhere. Then an Astra diesel will be faster.

Do let us know what you choose! :thumb:

Pretty much what I was thinking actually, especially the M4 traction - had similar issues with my Alpina as stated above. I had similar thoughts on Audis before we bought the 640 too!

The other (non 911) cars on my list had pretty much been ruled out in favour of the 911 - I think I should have left them off my post and just asked the 911 question! :grin:

Robertb said:

Thanks; one I'd considered, but I reckon that long bonnet Vs the 911 would make driving/placing the car more awkward.

askgeez said:
on my 3rd 997, and would probably be recommending the 997 GTS coupe. It really is a fantastic car, and worthy of the hype. They are all over eight years old now, and low mileage ones are still over £60k.

However, having had a 991.2 as a courtesy car last summer, I would say that it would probably suit your purposes better at that price point. The new tech is nice , and you can still get the gen 1 3.8 normally aspirated ...the 3.0 litre hasn't got as much character , but is very torquey and quick. Ride quality is excellent in a 991, really civilised.... if you've had a 997, you might miss the steering feel and 997 feels more 'go kart like' than the 991

alexanders prestige have a really nice 991.1 coupe, low miles with the very desirable aerokit. £60k exactly

As Terry says the 991 will suffer a bit more depreciation yet...i can't believe you can get a leggy one in very low £40s now :eek:

@robertb
good call....
my mate sold his Merc AMG GTS last week for mid £60s. Just 17k miles on it, every desirable option, fast, sound incredible, literally F1 technology, but a really big car, and most definitely a GT. Its a mercedes, and therefore reliable enough as a daily, but its an autobahn stormer, not a b road car , which is where a 911 excels. Not a lot of luggage room in them.

Might be an idea for me to try at some point a GTS Vs a 991 one back to back if possible.

Your thought on the size of the Merc mirror mine and would rule it out - trips down Cornwall lanes when on hol are less stressful in a smaller car!

wadsy said:
Wadsey welcome, first of all you're in the wrong place for anything other than a 911 and to be honest from your list it's conference v premier league.

You'll get plenty of opinions I'm sure, the 997 is a cracker but not so sure as a daily. The 991 beats it everywhere hands down, but you're on an enthusiasts site and the 997 has plenty of fans :thumb:

Obviously drive them all! (Then buy a 991) :grin: Remember especially as a daily high miles on a 911 is a big issue when you come to sell on, personally a low miler would be essential.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...rera-4s-pdk-immaculate-stand-out-spec/9744578

You don't consider the Vantage or an R8 in the same league?...but not enough luggage space in those anyway I reckon and the others on my list had pretty much been ruled out for the reasons stated - I probably should have left that bit out and just asked the 911 question! :lol:

It will be in regular use, but not really a 'daily' as such, not used as a commuter, probably sub 5k/annum which should help keep the miles down over time. As I mentioned, this will have to be a long term keeper as I won't have the funds to buy something like this in the future!

A vantage? S*** engineering v Germany's finest! I dont get Astons but that's just me lol. The Audi? Boring! So you have boring v always in the garage being repaired v a 911!

Re the debate on 991 v 997 they are both brilliant, there's no doubt. But IMHO and many other converts the 997 only wins on steering feel, on everything else a 991 smashes the opposition. If sound interests you the 997.2 and 991.2 just dont have it. The 991.1 Carrera is the best sounding water cooled 911 (save for a GT3).

Unsure on the debate on the 991 price drops, ive had mine close to twelve months, if i went to buy again id pay, err the same price! Plenty of cheap high milers, but that's the same for the 997.

991 2 v 4? Personally there's a big big premium for a 4, do you really need one? I went through exactly your dilemma and in the end went 991.1 C2S with the X51 power-pack (430 bhp) basically a 991.1 GTS in disguise for 20 k less.

Last one road tax! Paying the 315 annually for the 991 almost makes you feel guilty :grin:

Mr Sponge speaks a lot of sense :eek:

wadsy said:

A vantage? S*** engineering v Germany's finest! I dont get Astons but that's just me lol. The Audi? Boring! So you have boring v always in the garage being repaired v a 911!

Re the debate on 991 v 997 they are both brilliant, there's no doubt. But IMHO and many other converts the 997 only wins on steering feel, on everything else a 991 smashes the opposition. If sound interests you the 997.2 and 991.2 just dont have it. The 991.1 Carrera is the best sounding water cooled 911 (save for a GT3).

Unsure on the debate on the 991 price drops, ive had mine close to twelve months, if i went to buy again id pay, err the same price! Plenty of cheap high milers, but that's the same for the 997.

991 2 v 4? Personally there's a big big premium for a 4, do you really need one? I went through exactly your dilemma and in the end went 991.1 C2S with the X51 power-pack (430 bhp) basically a 991.1 GTS in disguise for 20 k less.

Last one road tax! Paying the 315 annually for the 991 almost makes you feel guilty :grin:

Good reply mate; thanks for that :thumb:

For me, comfort is very important (poor health) so I reckon the 991 may well be the best option.

Really not sure on the 2 Vs 4 debate though :dont know:

re: tax, yep, agree with that, when most 'rivals' are £570, the difference pays most of the Insurance cost! :grin:

Cheers

Here's my Herman versus a C4S. In the wet its a no contest and Herman gets battered :grin: But Herman doesnt go out in the wet with me, so actually he wins, as in the dry hes 15k cheaper.... :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08t5Yw38Uos

Here's my Herman versus a C4S. In the wet its a no contest and Herman gets battered :grin: But Herman doesnt go out in the wet with me, so actually he wins, as in the dry hes 15k cheaper.... :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08t5Yw38Uos

That's one of the videos I'd seen that was swaying me towards the C4S ...and mine would need to go out in the wet! :thumb:

wadsy said:
Robertb said:

Thanks; one I'd considered, but I reckon that long bonnet Vs the 911 would make driving/placing the car more awkward.

I've actually been lucky enough to drive a GTR on a AMG open day around the Twisties etc. They are very predictable and pointy and I found shrink around you

I'd say the width of the AMG GT models would be the biggest factor on small roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back