Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

V5c scam warning

MJ911

Morning All,

Long term lurker here just thought I'd say hi and as I have received so much helpful information from here in the past thought I'd just share something. I have owned a Boxster, 996 & 997 in the past and was about to get into a lovely black 997.1 C4 and my V5C was scammed on the car I was selling.

It's been 5 weeks and still waiting on the DVLA for my V5C to be reinstated. I wish my first post had been a happier one, I was going to write what happened but the vid below sums it up plus my story would have been an essay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdEnF5CQ_HA

So my purchase has been suspended for a while and where it's been a while since I sold a car I just wish I had seen this video before putting my car up for sale. Many of you may know this already but thought I'd FYI in case even one or two did not.

Please be aware and let others know if they are selling their car privately and if buying privately check all the VINs possible not just the easy to reach ones!

Hopefully my next post will be on a happier note!

All the best.
Matt :worship:

Cheers for the tip... these fraudsters are ingenious.

To me, the finance companies should shoulder the loss if its found that improperly verified information has been used to advance a loan.

Same with people who find out that someone has used their identity to apply for credit etc because the banks don't do their checks properly.

So someone secured a loan against your car using the document reference number to register the car in their name?

They didn't manage that but as soon as i received the notification i contacted DVLA and police and had to investigate myself (police don't investigate fraud) and found a cloned car for sale with my plate on it.

Along with the VIN and plate (normal) I didn't know that it was possible with just the doc ref number to change it. It's all online now, you don't need sellers details, issue date etc. Thats when I googled it and found that video. DVLA confirmed that doc ref is all you need and didn't sound surprised when I logged it.

HPI site says you need the doc ref to validate your search so leaves a bit of gap in the process!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back