Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MaxA's ''Mr White'' long termer

So the 997 has a new door lock mechanism (the window now drops and rises as it should), a new drivers side fan assembly, a new MAF sensor, and a service/oil change.

It still has a recurring CEL for the excess air flow through the K&Ns which is odd as this is the second set (I took the first set out for cleaning, and they didn't cause any CELs ever...). It must be the good clean Finnish air. It is also odd as 9xx say that they regularly use K&Ns in their builds and have never had a problem. I'll have to try to clean and re-use the original K&Ns and if that doesn't work, I'll simply have to go back to paper. :?:

I wanted to add a comment: I've been running this car for 35,000km, in European summer, Nordic winter and Middle East desert conditions, on the road and on a couple of tracks, since October 2015.

I've had four issues, none of which have stopped me or stranded me: a noisy idler pulley (replaced under warranty in 2016), a temporary glitch with the A/C (2018), and now a failed fan and door switch (2019). The fan can probably be traced back to stone damage from 2018 (too long on a very nasty gravel road, thanks GoogleMaps). The MAF/K&Ns are all my own doing.

That's not too bad in my book. And long may it last. 8)

Great thread Max, loving your work.

With the new MAF, if you still get the CEL after a few days driving, is it worth you getting the injector adaptations and codes checked?
With a new MAF, that would seem the next port of call to me.

ETA: Just read on another thread you've checked codes and seen too much volume through the filters

jonno_ said:
Great thread Max, loving your work.

With the new MAF, if you still get the CEL after a few days driving, is it worth you getting the injector adaptations and codes checked?
With a new MAF, that would seem the next port of call to me.

ETA: Just read on another thread you've checked codes and seen too much volume through the filters

Thanks for the comments. 9xx tell me that the fix is simply new paper air filters for my car. They said that they regularly install K&Ns without issue, so it was new to them. What I find odd is that this is the second set of filters: I bought two sets so I could quickly switch and clean the old ones at my leisure. The first two didn't give me any CELs. It can be a slightly grim job to remove all the dead insects, grit and dirt from old filters: I live on a gravel road and we get plenty of dust in the summers. The K&N on my other car produced a whole bucket of dirty black water... so I washed it again.

A little bit of love happened (as I was ordering some other stuff from SU4LM):

Attachments

• 20190718_134042_264.jpg
    20190718_134042_264.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 4,972
  • 20190708_174140_152.jpg
    20190708_174140_152.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 4,972
We were back at the track on Saturday - it was another club meet and I was only allowed on to the track for the free practise sessions after 3pm so I could drive two 20 minute sessions, but it seems that my front wheel OZ Racing centre caps decided to part ways. :evil:

It wasn't that hot, maybe 25c ambient but I suppose that's enough, along with some hard braking, for thermal expansion. And I was taking it fairly easy as I want the tyres to hold up for the rest of the season.

At least I know what to do next time....

Attachments

• 20190810_145249_121.jpg
    20190810_145249_121.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 4,849
  • 20190811_133405_795.jpg
    20190811_133405_795.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 4,849
  • img_20190810_wa0003_912.jpg
    img_20190810_wa0003_912.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 4,849
I'm going to need new summer tyres, and if they hold out to October, I'll have to source something over the winter.

I'm currently debating with myself whether I should be 'Captain Sensible' and run Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or whether I should channel Jezza, or Chris Harris, and run the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 - if it's crappy outside, I suppose I could always take the other car.

Has anyone run both?

I need to diagnose a slight knock in the right front suspension, especially over poor roads.

Hopefully it's just an anti roll bar bush or something 'simple'. I don't want to have to replace any failing dampers right now.

It's the Porsche Club Festival 2019 this weekend at Alastaro: I can't manage all three days, so this year I'll go for the Saturday, see some racing, some show cars, eat a burger, and hopefully squeeze in a few laps in the late morning (you need to be a paid up member to get any track time, but at 50eur/year and a small entry fee of 45eur, I can't see how everyone doesn't qualify). I'm taking my son and two helmets. Hopefully the rain holds off, or we get wet.

I think that I might have to wash the car again, unless there's a prize for the most unkempt ride of the Festival :?:

clucking bell, these two cost me 40eur to replace...

Attachments

• 20190811_133405_945.jpg
    20190811_133405_945.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 4,496
There isn't much to report, it's autumn and the roads are either wet or covered in leaves; not so much fun on worn tyres. I suppose there are still a few weeks before I need to fit the Nokians.

I switched tyres this morning, and not a moment too soon: the Michelins were worn down to the cords on the very inner edges of the rears and worn down to the wear markers on the inner edges of the fronts.

And of course it was -1c, but at least the car came out of a warm garage and the roads were dry.

I ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for the spring. I've only done 64,000km and I'll be on my third set of summer tyres...! :sad: :grin:

MaxA said:
I'm going to need new summer tyres, and if they hold out to October, I'll have to source something over the winter.

I'm currently debating with myself whether I should be 'Captain Sensible' and run Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or whether I should channel Jezza, or Chris (Harris), and run the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 - if it's crappy outside, I suppose I could always take the other car.

Well, as you can see, the tyres just about sort of made it to November...

I've ordered some 4S for my 4S. The Cup2s are so much more expensive ... and it's often crap outside.

At least I still have 8mm of tread on the Nokians.

Update on the filters /CEL

I nearly forgot. I swapped the K&Ns out for stock paper filters and deleted the CEL (1094 MAF). :bye: There was a bit of rough running at start up but the car seemed to go back to normal.

I still find this a bit odd as it ran just fine in Dubai on the first set of K&Ns. Maybe there's more dust and less oxygen in the desert? :dont know:

I'm not sure if I've commented on this thread already Max, but anyway the car looks great.
Those standard wheels are my favourite factory 997 wheel. The OZs look great too. 8)

Lovely. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back