Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 76
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 7
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 4
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugello was a good one yes.
The right man won too. Petrucci worked hard that race and it was a good two fingers up to the doubters in the press saying he’s lost his factory ride for next year. Whether he has or not he showed them on race day.

Move of the race was squeezing back through at turn one. Without that I doubt he’d have got the win.

Anyway his first GP win at his home track. Really nice.

Apart from Mugello though and the odd move at Lemans, it’s been a bit of a snooze fest this year. I know it’s easy to be critical but every year during the winter, the build up seems mega exciting. You think “Oh he’s moving up from Moto2, such and such is moving to that team” etc etc.
Then the season gets underway and it’s never as good as the hype.

Having said all that we are generally seeing a larger group of bikes at the front for longer which is always good, but usually Marc still rides away with it.

I’m hoping Dovi becomes a bit more threatening like last season.
What about Lorenzo though eh? Was always going to happen though jumping on a bike designed for Marc and Marc being priority. I hope he can sort it though as he is good and a big miss at the front.

I think Rossi should try and go back to Ducati for one final contract. Worth a go. Italian on Italian bike.

I’m off to his restaurant in Tavullia in a couple of months and will be visiting the Marco Simoncelli museum along the road. Can’t wait. Cool

DynoMike
Albert Park

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fair appraisal, Marky. It has become a bit like the 800 era in some races, the bikes are just too closely matched overall (give or take), so riders have to ride very precisely to get the best from their package.

BSB rules have given that series a good shot in the arm. I realise taking TC off the GP bikes is really akin to playing Russian roulette, but, the true cream would rise to the top. My basis for this comment is this; Quarteraro has jumped straight on a gp bike and gone stunningly quick, just like his French compatriot a few years back at Tech3. This just shouldn't be possible without a lot of time on the grands prix bike, but it is.

Remove some of the tech, watch the real masters ride with feel alone, then we will see some racing. Smoking tyre slides again anyone? The current bikes only see full power in sixth gear, the power is cropped a little in fifth, a lot in fourth and barely 40-50% in first.

Discuss!

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mike, I agree with all that. Take the nanny systems off and see what’s what, or rather who’s who.
They’ll never do it though, because as much as viewers see it as making things boring, it is actually still flipping dangerous out there. They managed for long enough before TC, but that’s because it hadn’t been invented yet. Grin

I’d like to see it reduced though, just some sort of basic system if there has to be something.

Going back to Mugello, there was a point in the race where Rossi and Lorenzo were 16th and 17th or thereabouts. I said to the wife “How the mighty have fallen, remember the battles they used to have when they were both at Yamaha.” Grin

Fair enough Rossi got taken off wide, but he was way down anyway and that’s exactly what happens when you put yourself in amongst the slower riders.
He then had a clear track and set the fastest lap of the race. Next lap he fell off all on his own. frustrated Grin Nightmare.

It’s frustrating that they can’t improve the engines during the season. The Yamaha’s are screwed now until next year. Although having said that they couldn’t sort them out over the whole of last winter so could they even improve them anyway?
Vinales finds his groove as the fuel load comes down but by then it’s too late. He must be so frustrated.
Anyway roll on the next one. I just want to see a battle up front. I’m not fussed who it is. I like that we are seeing some other names up there sometimes. Rins is doing a cracking job this year on the Suzuki. Very Happy

Osh
Sepang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
Mugello was a good one yes.
The right man won too. Petrucci worked hard that race and it was a good two fingers up to the doubters in the press saying he’s lost his factory ride for next year. Whether he has or not he showed them on race day.

Move of the race was squeezing back through at turn one. Without that I doubt he’d have got the win.

Anyway his first GP win at his home track. Really nice.

Apart from Mugello though and the odd move at Lemans, it’s been a bit of a snooze fest this year. I know it’s easy to be critical but every year during the winter, the build up seems mega exciting. You think “Oh he’s moving up from Moto2, such and such is moving to that team” etc etc.
Then the season gets underway and it’s never as good as the hype.

Having said all that we are generally seeing a larger group of bikes at the front for longer which is always good, but usually Marc still rides away with it.

I’m hoping Dovi becomes a bit more threatening like last season.
What about Lorenzo though eh? Was always going to happen though jumping on a bike designed for Marc and Marc being priority. I hope he can sort it though as he is good and a big miss at the front.

I think Rossi should try and go back to Ducati for one final contract. Worth a go. Italian on Italian bike.

I’m off to his restaurant in Tavullia in a couple of months and will be visiting the Marco Simoncelli museum along the road. Can’t wait. Cool

Nice one Mark and fully agree with everything you said; love watching Lorenzo on his day but can't understand where his head is at right now. I know Marquez is very good but I can't stand the little sod. Huge fan of Valentino (jealous you are going to his restaurant) and 58Sic was one of my favourites - still wear his t-shirt int he gym regularly.

Rossi - back on a Duc'; wow - what a wonderful idea..... Bandit

Osh
(p.s. - looking forward to Spa, wonderful circuit for bikes)

Osh
Sepang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DynoMike wrote:
That's a fair appraisal, Marky. It has become a bit like the 800 era in some races, the bikes are just too closely matched overall (give or take), so riders have to ride very precisely to get the best from their package.

BSB rules have given that series a good shot in the arm. I realise taking TC off the GP bikes is really akin to playing Russian roulette, but, the true cream would rise to the top. My basis for this comment is this; Quarteraro has jumped straight on a gp bike and gone stunningly quick, just like his French compatriot a few years back at Tech3. This just shouldn't be possible without a lot of time on the grands prix bike, but it is.

Remove some of the tech, watch the real masters ride with feel alone, then we will see some racing. Smoking tyre slides again anyone? The current bikes only see full power in sixth gear, the power is cropped a little in fifth, a lot in fourth and barely 40-50% in first.

Discuss!

Agreed Mike but as Mark says its never going to happen. I suppose that's 'progress'

Gotta say i'd watch MotoGP over F1 any day. Like the fact that people like Rins are getting the Suzuki in to the top 5 or 6 regularly and all the new guys coming through.

As Mark says - bring on the next one; Catalunya this weekend! Grin

Osh

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osh wrote:

(p.s. - looking forward to Spa, wonderful circuit for bikes)

I wonder if it will ever happen Question

Can't believe it's 41 years ago that I went to my first international GP race there, 1978 - the last year the full 14km circuit was used. The year before Sheene set a new lap record with a 135 mph average lap speed !! It's still the fastest bike lap ever.

When you see the bikes they were on compared with 2019 stuff ....... Surprised
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8 I bet it has been good to watch through all the different era’s and rivalries.
What has been your favourite then?

I had Sheene and Randy Mamola posters on my wall as a kid but I then didn’t watch until my 20’s again when I got back into bikes.
This was just as Rossi appeared so all I’ve known is the Rossi era. I’m an unashamed fan of his, even though it seems the cool thing these days is to dislike him. I’m a fan of most other riders too though. They’re all the cream of the crop.

Hi Osh, I’m with you on Marquez, although he’s something else on a bike and I do like his energy etc. He dicked about with a championship that was no longer his in 2015 though, so I’ll never have the respect for him that I did.
It’s in the past though and the sport is definitely better with him in it. Thumb

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:

T8 I bet it has been good to watch through all the different era’s and rivalries.

What has been your favourite then?

Sadly I didn't watch a lot of the big names from the mid-80s to the mid-2000s as work and family commitments took over my life.

I was a massive bike and bike racing fan from 1976 to 1984 and followed Barry Sheene all over the UK and to several European GPs. His retirement coincided with me losing interest in bikes so I missed all the big names and rivalries throughout the next 25 years.

I didn't get into Moto GPs until my son started following it when Rossi, Stoner and Lorenzo were going at it in 2009 but it's only been a TV thing for me.
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to me then T8. I’ve basically witnessed the whole Rossi era and I’m very glad I have.

What about this weekend then eh? 4 of the front runners skittled in one go.
Who knows what an epic battle that might have been.
I actually felt a bit sorry for Lorenzo. That’ll mess with his head.
Mind you he does the sad puppy face very well, then the next time he wins he does all that Lorenzo land bollocks so I won’t feel too sorry for him. Grin

Good rides by the rest. The battle for 2nd was ace with Rins trying everything.
Obviously Quartararo is going to be pretty special as time goes on.
Good ole Cal Crashlots was on top form as usual.

Roll on the next one. Very Happy

jpsh120
Imola

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
Similar to me then T8. I’ve basically witnessed the whole Rossi era and I’m very glad I have.

What about this weekend then eh? 4 of the front runners skittled in one go.
Who knows what an epic battle that might have been.
I actually felt a bit sorry for Lorenzo. That’ll mess with his head.
Mind you he does the sad puppy face very well, then the next time he wins he does all that Lorenzo land bollocks so I won’t feel too sorry for him. Grin

Good rides by the rest. The battle for 2nd was ace with Rins trying everything.
Obviously Quartararo is going to be pretty special as time goes on.
Good ole Cal Crashlots was on top form as usual.

Roll on the next one. Very Happy

2 laps in and it was race ruined. With the qualifying results it looked like it was going to be a cracking race. And whilst Marquez is without doubt a bit special, he doesn't half get the rub of the green! Only he could be that close to a major incident and get away with it!

Real shame for the championship too. Needs another DNF from Marquez to even things up and that doesn't happen very often.

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that’s exactly it.
When the cameras cut to the fallers sitting in their garages looking totally fed up it was the realisation that their season was pretty much done for rather than just the race.
I wouldn’t rule out Marc maybe falling off once more somewhere but he won’t give away two DNFs. What’s his lead now, 37 points or something?
Anything could happen as they say, but that’s a big lead.

Anyway I’ll just leave this here. Stolen from another site. Grin

Kryton
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floor That is so funny

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
Yep that’s exactly it.
When the cameras cut to the fallers sitting in their garages looking totally fed up it was the realisation that their season was pretty much done for rather than just the race.
I wouldn’t rule out Marc maybe falling off once more somewhere but he won’t give away two DNFs. What’s his lead now, 37 points or something?
Anything could happen as they say, but that’s a big lead.

Anyway I’ll just leave this here. Stolen from another site. Grin

That’s funny, but Cal and Jack’s “commentary” was funnier still.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r-FI2ruabO0

Cal on Jack: “and this is why you’re known as Terry T-bone Steak ...” Grin

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grin

Yeah they have a laugh those two. Cal just spoils himself a bit sometimes. Grumpy *****. Apparently a great lad and well respected in the paddock though.

I was at Silverstone that year. Soaking wet.
Cal came back out on his spare bike and fell off that too. Grin
He did all he could that day though. Thumb

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
Grin

Yeah they have a laugh those two. Cal just spoils himself a bit sometimes. Grumpy *****. Apparently a great lad and well respected in the paddock though.

I was at Silverstone that year. Soaking wet.
Cal came back out on his spare bike and fell off that too. Grin
He did all he could that day though. Thumb

The boy's a trier, can't fault him for that. Glad to hear him backing up Lorenzo after Wingales had a pop ...

If Lorenzo can get that Honda to his liking, they'll be sparks in the Honda camp, and if last weekend was anything to go by, Lorenzo's starting to push (and not just the front end ...) Grin

Have to say I've always been a massive Jorge fan, having read his book, he had a pretty sh*t childhood.
His ability to dig deep and find the necessary willpower and fortitude to learn new bikes, when all those all around him are doubting him, is pretty incredible.

No doubt he AND Ducati are full of regrets at an opportunity lost (though I have to blame Ducati for not making the most of what was/is a multiple World Champion)

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed your post Henry.

Yes I’ve heard about Lorenzo’s crappy childhood. I must get around to reading his book. I do like him and I’m looking forward to the days when he’s back at the front. I’ve no doubt they’ll come again.
He does spoil himself though from time to time. Usually it’s just when I’m starting to like him again. Grin
Skittling the others last week was a total accident though. Let’s hope he has a better weekend this weekend. Apparently he’s confident he can carry on with the pace from last race.

Cal is a trier and as the old saying goes “You can teach a fast rider how to stay on, but you can’t teach a slow rider to be fast”, so I’d rather be like Cal than be slow.
Having said that there’s another old saying that says “To finish first, first you have to finish”. Grin

Anyway chaps, Assen this weekend. Always a cracker!
It will mark the 2 year anniversary of Rossi’s last win in Moto GP. Surprised

I’m hoping Marc doesn’t win but as long as there’s a decent battle, then whatever.
Rins has a new chassis for the Suzuki. Others have been testing various parts. Yams have been trying out the handlebar mounted rear brake in both lever and thumb push types.

Anyway I hope it’s a good one. A wet one always causes some upsets. Thumb

Osh
Sepang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good race last weekend.

Quatararo (sp) was exceptional on a bike that, perhaps, should have been black flagged for being dangerous. He rode it like he stole it....

Germany next which is big crash site with that major down right-hand bend with lousy camber

Norfolk & Idea
Albert Park

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osh wrote:
Another good race last weekend.

Quatararo (sp) was exceptional on a bike that, perhaps, should have been black flagged for being dangerous. He rode it like he stole it....

Germany next which is big crash site with that major down right-hand bend with lousy camber

Hmm, fair point regarding the black flag. It did look a bit unstable at times. Not what you want with a 300hp race bike.

Quatararo certainly looks a threat to Marquez. Let's see how the rest of the season pans out. I doff my cap to anyone who can take it to the exeptional Marquez.
2019 Vito119 CDI Sport- Household Star!
2018 Ducati Panigale V4S (Track)

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: