Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 non-PASM front springs question

James M-S

Barcelona
I have a feeling I have cracked one of my front springs as I'm getting a clunk noise when on full lock (but not when car is on the jack).

What is the OE part for my non-PASM carrera? Who makes it and where is best source?

The search function just brings up threads discussing lowering, which I'm not fussed about.

I know bilstein do the dampers but can't find anything on their site for springs :?

Thanks in advance

Put the wheels on a full lock , jacked up if possible .. feel along the base of the coil spring .. if its a flat end and up against the shock ridge then its not broken.

you are looking for a jagged edge to the bottom of the spring and it not reaching the ridge on the shock for it to be broken .

Do this both sides please before ordering new springs .. always best to diagnose first :)

Thanks gents,

DeMort, would the bottom of the spring still feel rough even if the break is in the middle?

I found the part number (according to porscheshop), 997.343.531.40.504 front springs non-PASM for all 997 c2 & c2S coupe for future ref.

£210 from porscheshop

EDIT the above number doesn't match those given in the parts catalogue above (p172)

It really is a great link - thanks again :thumbs:

Hertsdriver said:
You have to remove the dots and replace with spaces as that's how the numbers are formatted in the parts catalogue pdfs, so 997.343.531.40.504 becomes 997 343 531 40 504

Thanks, I had realised that, but the digits are different.

I need to go and check the coloured dots on the springs to make sure I get the correct ones, as there are several listed for the coupe. (different spring rates I guess)

James M-S said:
What is the OE part for my non-PASM carrera?
James M-S said:
EDIT the above number doesn't match those given in the parts catalogue above (p172)

Hiya,

Since you have a standard 997.2 Carrera, you would have downloaded the 2009-2012 version of the 997 UK catalog.

On p173, the p/n listed for a front set of springs on a I029 C2 Coupe is "997 343 531 46 504"

I say I029 because if you look up the V-Pages section, you'll see that 'I029' is the standard chassis (p19), which is what I believe you have.

Here's an example of a vendor with that p/n (I live in the US):

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-coil-spring-99734353146504/

James M-S said:
I found the part number (according to porscheshop), 997.343.531.40.504 front springs non-PASM for all 997 c2 & c2S coupe for future ref

According to Sunset Porsche, that part is for the 997.1 generation cars.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-coil-spring-99734353140504

Just make 100% sure you downloaded the right version of the 997 UK catalog (2009-2012), and not the one for the earlier generation cars (2005-2008).

Karl.

Thanks Karl :cheers:

There are several listed for I029, with different colour ratings, which I assume is spring stiffness (could be length I suppose).

There are coloured dots on the springs themselves, which correspond. Mine are red red green.

James M-S said:
Thanks gents,

DeMort, would the bottom of the spring still feel rough even if the break is in the middle?

I found the part number (according to porscheshop), 997.343.531.40.504 front springs non-PASM for all 997 c2 & c2S coupe for future ref.

£210 from porscheshop

It really is a great link - thanks again :thumbs:

When you jack up a car with a broken spring or indeed put it on a ramp then the broken part often falls out ..

the broken part will have a sharp edge on it and not reach the stop .. it feels wrong basically and too short ..

All i can say is jack it up and run your fingers around the base of the coil spring .

this is one of those things thats far easier to show you than to explain .. sigh .

You may well have this issue .. but as usual im concerned it might be something else so always prefer proving something first rather than just ordering parts .

Thanks, I agree with proving it before spending. (Certainly for a £200 part).

I'll be checking tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stinkyspanner
Back