Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Check Engine Visit Workshop

MattyR

Hoping one of you knowledgeable chaps can proffer some advice.

Whilst running low on fuel on the way to the station the other morning (running on fumes i.e. 1 mile in the tank), the check engine visit workshop light (orange engine motif) lit-up along with the warning message on the message barnacle. It didn't flash and stay on; rather it simply appeared and stayed on.

Now I had read that this can happen when the fuel cap is loose. I was on my way to fill up anyway and, after I'd added some of Shell's finest and driven half a mile down the road, no light.

Was this simply a case of my lacklustre efforts to keep an eye on the fuel gauge or should I get it checked. Car is running fine with no loss of power or stage pops, whistles of bangs!

If it was me I would assume you had run fuel too low.

I had a similar warning recently and thoroughly advocate buying a cheap OBD code reader. £20 and will aid diagnosis as that message can come on for all sorts of things.

£20 also cheaper than paying a garage to do the same on their durametric.

I've got a code reader to tell me what's up. As it stands, I know that I've got excess air flow through the K&N filters ...

James M-S said:
If it was me I would assume you had run fuel too low.
:yeah:

You have a gen 2 young man .. high pressure fuel pump , pressure sensor and it aint gonna like being starved of fuel !!

Gen 1 and it won't know the difference .. gen 2 will due to the sensor .

if you get the chance see if there are any fault codes .. there might be or maybe not but .. IMHO running it that low on fuel caused the issue .

i'll just say .. thats a little low to leave it and perhaps set 10 miles as the min to fill up :)

Many thanks for the replies lads. DeMort, as ever great to have your knowledge in spades on this forum!

Unfortunately the light is now back with a sensor failure on the coolant gauge to boot!

I did have a waning light come on for a failure with the coolant gauge a few days ago but this went away. Can I assume the return of the coolant gauge warning has now triggered the engine light?..

I presume coolant level is OK? What was water temp when gauge was working?

I would be buying a code reader this weekend (or borrowing)

James M-S said:
I presume coolant level is OK? What was water temp when gauge was working?

I would be buying a code reader this weekend (or borrowing)

Cheers James. Coolant level is healthy with no loss (I was obviously worried about the coolant pipes). Water temp was half way but occasionally wobbles so I am assuming a bad sensor. Car was fabulous, as always, driving about yesterday.

Unfortunately prior commitments mean I am busy this weekend but it's booked in with OPC Tonbridge Monday morn.

i feel its a separate issue from running low on fuel but the only way to tell would be from a fault code read out ..

At a guess i'll go with a temp sender fault .

Thanks deMort. I feel hopeful it's just a sensor issue and nothing serious :thumbs:

So, car back from OPC Tonbridge today and it seems to be the temperature sender which was at fault. I'm taking the car for a long run tomorrow so we'll see as OPC didn't manage to replicate the fault. The (the dash light) disappeared (but there was a message on the computer memory).

I do have to say that Tonbridge are one of the best OPC,s out there and i highly recommend them ( should you have to use an OPC and not an indy ).

We deal with them daily .

It's one of the garages i wouldn't mind working for .. other than the fact it's a long way and i burnt my OPC bridges by coming here and commenting :floor: .. no OPC would touch me these days due to my posts .

c'est la vie .. thats life .

Temp sender was the most obvious fault from the description and its sorted :thumb:

Cheers Iain, appreciate your input on this issue.

You've said it before about Tonbridge OPC and I have had fantastic experiences since purchasing my 997.2 last year and using them for the servicing and a few minor repairs. Their location is massively handy for me tbh.

Oddly their prices are comparable to the local independents- a touch more but in some cases cheaper on certain stuff. Plus it works for me as with their courtesy car and OPC stamp. Others go indy and I can see the benefit there too. I used to use Precision for my old 993!

MattyR said:
Others go indy and I can see the benefit there too. I used to use Precision for my old 993!

Well don't forget we do the newer cars as well !

If you ever get a fault .. electrical or running then please bear us in mind .. i do like the odd challenge now and then :D

deMort said:
MattyR said:
Others go indy and I can see the benefit there too. I used to use Precision for my old 993!

Well don't forget we do the newer cars as well !

If you ever get a fault .. electrical or running then please bear us in mind .. i do like the odd challenge now and then :D

How long have you been at Precision then? For some bizarre reason I thought you were down in Brighton! :bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back