Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First 911 - Early 2004 3.6 Gen 1

Cannop said:
The top one sounds bone dry and gritty but none of them seem great, I'd replace all three for peace of mind. Check the alternator freewheel pulley is functioning too.

Alternator pulley seems to be good :thumb:

Did some investigation on cost to replace the 3 the Idler/tensioners: 99710211700, 99710211800, & 99710211900
OEM from OPC: £190.18 (with 10% PCGB discount)
Hamberg Design911: £162.19 (with 5% 911uk discount)

But further investigation and I found this excellent thread in the 996 section giving the specs for the bearings:
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=116879&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

So having identified that mine are the type with the metal housings that should mean I can extract the old bearings I ordered all 3 SKF branded bearings to replace the noisy ones:
https://www.bearingbasement.com/p/b...kf-bearing-double-row-angular-contact-sealed/

Cost: £66.46 inc VAT and delivery :thumbs:

Once they arrive I will post up a how to on pushing the old ones out of the pulleys and pushing the new ones in, which will no doubt be a body with sockets and a vice as I dont have a press :floor:

If anyone here needs it I have a 10% discount voucher code for the above bearing site for the next 30 days, pm me if you want it :thumb:

Took the 911 camping with the kiddies as the second car because obviously my wife couldn't fit everything she felt she needed into just one car..... :frustrated: and am now going to buy some roof bars to make the 911 a bit more practical in weekend situations :p

Have also bought a second hand Alpine carplay head unit from a chap on here (thanks DieselDave!) and got a chance to fit it yesterday ('working from home on the kids sports day.... dont judge me :lol:).
My car is non Bose so I once again used the excellent search function and followed the advice/guide by matsmith749:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=111204

Sound is much improved over the PCM and I've also gained a new cubby hole as have removed the NAV and CD changer units from the frunk, so a place to stash the oil topup bottle :thumb:

Now on the lookout for a cheap compatible reversing camera..... :floor:

Attachments

• img_6424_139.jpg
    img_6424_139.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 3,587
Very nice and a great thread.
You might also want to get the aircon buttons refurbished.
There is a service advertised on eBay, based in wales.

Thanks! Yep they are on the list.... (does it ever end? :lol: )

So my bearings turned up today, so I whipped the air filter housing and set about removing the top pulley, first hurdle how to undo the torx head bolt? Bodged it with a tight fitting socket (sorry...) think it was 9/16? Anyway it turns out I have the type of pulley that you can't remove the bearings on, do the new bearings will go back, luckily they offer a full refund :thumb:

Anyway while the pulley was off I pulled the seals and inspected the bearing, could not feel any noticeable wear, but it was dry as fook, so I cleaned it through, and pushed new high melting point grease into both sides and popped the seals back on, it's now not noisy at all, although I don't expect that will last so I'll probavly order a new set up

Nice little job crossed off the list, cleaning up my rusty looking nuts.... :oops:

1 can of silver smoothrite, some masking tape and a bit of a wirebrushing for a big improvement :thumb:

Attachments

• img_6690_117.jpg
    img_6690_117.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 3,469
  • img_6689_195.jpg
    img_6689_195.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 3,469
  • img_6688_176.jpg
    img_6688_176.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 3,457
  • img_6691_204.jpg
    img_6691_204.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 3,457
Got home to find another package waiting for me: 3 idlers from Rockautos.com

Plan is to replace the noisy idlers and the tensioner, ive bought 3 basic units and will reuse the shims/washers/bolts from the units that come off. Waiting for the set of female torx sockets to arrive and then will fit at the weekend.

Man maths says I saved another £100 over OPC prices after all costs paid out, the voice inside my head wants to start a file to document the saving that can be made if you avoid the 'porsche tax'... :thumb:

Attachments

• snip_133.jpg
    snip_133.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3,303
  • img_6756_139.jpg
    img_6756_139.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 2,541
PASM and Sport

Similarly to you my must-haves are the adaptive dampers (PASM) and the sport-chrono. I realise it narrows down the cars a lot and I am wondering how useful would be the sport-shrono?! Can you not change the throttle response to a sharper lever without it at all? Are those different maps it activates so different?

Re: PASM and Sport

yavor said:
Similarly to you my must-haves are the adaptive dampers (PASM) and the sport-chrono. I realise it narrows down the cars a lot and I am wondering how useful would be the sport-shrono?! Can you not change the throttle response to a sharper lever without it at all? Are those different maps it activates so different?

My car has PASM but not chrono, my understanding is that the responsiveness part of sports chrono can be retrofitted, but not the clock/binnacle, although there is a school of thought that all this does is alter the 'curve' of the throttle response, and that the same result can be had by burying the throttle... :?: I would have thought it more beneficial on a tiptronic than on a manual...

Cheers. Yes, this how I am imagining it as well. It could possibly show some character on a track.

The female torx socket set arrived yesterday (amazon cheapo special) so I got a free hour last night so decided to tackle the idlers...

Easy enough getting them off, but ran into a slight hitch. The OEM idlers have large diameter 'washers' which cover the bearings front and rear which cant be used with the Dayco units (as they hit the housing), as the also sit between the bolt head and housing they are also spacers, so I had to hunt around for a few washers in my parts bins to make sure that the idlers were spaced out from the block the same as the OEM items. Not a big deal to me as I had some lying around (they need to be a 15mm ID which I think is M14?), but if anyone else is considering using those parts its worth bearing (no pun intended) that it mind... :thumb:

I put loctite on the tensioner thread, but non on the other 2 bolts. I googled around a bit for the torque wrench settings and used the following, would be grateful if anybody could point out if these are drastically wrong!

Lower Idle bearing: 17ftlb / 23nm
Upper Idle bearing: 34ftlb / 46nm
Upper Tensioner: 48ftlb / 65nm

Ran the car and it is noticably quieter! Will keep an eye on it all and probably re-tension next week once the car has some miles on it.

Attachments

• img_6762_162.jpg
    img_6762_162.jpg
    796.6 KB · Views: 3,200
Part of the reason I bought a 911 was to prove to my wife that it was a 'reasonably' practical car... well it ticks the box of having back seats (for young kids like my 5 & 9 years old maybe...), but I've been eying up roof racks and boxes for a while in an effort to give a further option... so look away now if you are offended by this notion, as I've got a rack sorted :lol: :lol: :lol:

Research on this excellent forum led me to 2 options:
1. The official Porsche 'Roof transport system'
2. A combination of Thule parts...

Option 1 certainly appeals in as much as they look aesthetically very pleasing, but rarely come up for sale, are at least double the cost of option2, and also suffer from having the same size 'feet' front and back, giving any box that's strapped to the top a bit of an uphill stance...

So I went for option 2, and got a great deal in the for sale section here.
The kit is a combination of short 'feet' for the front, and slightly longer 'feet' at the back, to try and level out the curve of the roof and provide a level base for any box to sit on. For anyone considering this the parts are:

2 x Thule 753 feet
2 x Thule 751 XT feet
1 x Thule 3100 fitting fit (specifically for the 996/997)

Traditionally this combo is paired with a set of 118cm wide bars (either square or aero style), but in all the pictures I looked through the bars seemed too big and hung several inches over the edge of the feet. This is even more pronounced on the rear where the design of the roof means the distance between the feet is much narrower than it is at the front. So I put the feet into the roof, had a measure and decide to try a pair of Thule bars 10cm shorter than the 118cm variety that most people use, and although I couldn't find a reasonably (read cheap) set of the rather tasty black painted version Thule aero bars that are sold, I found a decent suitably cheap set of silver ones that I will spray in basalt to match the car on eBay (£30).

Bars arrived today so it was time to see if my calculations worked... and I think it's spot on! with maybe a bit to cut down each side on the rear, although that might look weird....???

Now to keep an eye out for a decent used Thule 'Dynamic M' roof box, which is identical to the Porsche branded dealer option box (it's a rebranded Thule box) as I think that style and shape will work best with a 911 if that's possible..... :floor:

:thumb:

Attachments

• f1456ab7_e8fa_43a6_a13a_4e6d94b21c24_187.jpeg
    f1456ab7_e8fa_43a6_a13a_4e6d94b21c24_187.jpeg
    838.4 KB · Views: 3,088
  • 04d72a90_d92f_4eef_a361_74891ceb145c_102.jpeg
    04d72a90_d92f_4eef_a361_74891ceb145c_102.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,088
  • 49aeb1d7_939c_40f5_bd95_da97f8c89887_818.jpeg
    49aeb1d7_939c_40f5_bd95_da97f8c89887_818.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3,087
  • f4b1bf35_515d_4de2_8f37_c0c306fac97c_137.jpeg
    f4b1bf35_515d_4de2_8f37_c0c306fac97c_137.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,088
Hertsdriver said:
Option 1 certainly appeals in as much as they look aesthetically very pleasing, but rarely come up for sale, are at least double the cost of option2, and also suffer from having the same size 'feet' front and back, giving any box that's strapped to the top a bit of an uphill stance...

Looking good! :thumb: I find they're a very useful accessory to have.

However, the official Porsche roof bars don't have the same size feet, they are different lengths to level out any load.

You're correct, they don't come up for sale very often but I was lucky enough to buy mine a few weeks before you bought yours from this very forum :)

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=134008

They do cost a bit more though I'll give you that!

Ah right thank you for that, sorry I got the foot size wrong :oops:
They doo look better than the Thule ones for sure, do you have a pic of them fitted? There's another set for sale at the same price as yours were, and whilst I am tempted it's another £150 more than the Thule version :eek:
I'm not sure I'm vain enough to pay the extra (or I'm just too tight :lol: )

I haven't but I'll take a snap next time they're fitted :thumb:

Managed to find a set of the black aero bars locally from Facebook which will improve things a bit aesthetically, well as much as you can for a roof rack :lol:

Got a reversing camera in the post yesterday, will connect this up to the alpine unit when I get back from holiday
:thumb:

Also centre console is removed, was originally going to paint body coloured, but think I will do it gloss black and the radio surrounds/AC controls etc to match. Have ordered a short shift kit from china which I will also fit (when it arrives) now that the console is out and being prepped.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back