Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Halfords air conditioning kit

Sy

Spa-Francorchamps
A mate was round mine tonight in his old X3 recharging his air on with a universal kit bought from Halfrauds, he gave me the kit to use after he successfully recharged his system. My air con has run out of gas after being left over winter, which I understand is pretty common when being left for a long time.

I know it could be rads or a possible leak, but when it was serviced last year it was recharged by an indi and they said the system was fine, so wanted to just recharge it.

Does anyone know where the point I plug in the kit is? I have a 997.1.

The charge point is in the front trunk. Only thing is that obviously a garage would pressurise the system to check for leaks, if you do have a leak your just leaking it straight out the system. Anyway good luck, let us know how you get on.

I completed my re-gas with the same 'STP' kit from halfords, there are videos on youtube and good instructions on the kit, I also 1st put in a luricating sealer that helps stop leaks in the future.
On my 996 the conection is on the passenger side under the front hood, you need to remove the plastic cover to the right of the battery, you will then see 2 black plastic caps on the metal pipes, im sure its the large one as they are different sizes, so you cannot really go wrong.
good luck :thumb:

sja360 said:
The charge point is in the front trunk. Only thing is that obviously a garage would pressurise the system to check for leaks, if you do have a leak your just leaking it straight out the system. Anyway good luck, let us know how you get on.

......and not just that, the system needs to be fully vac'd down before filling with gas. Those kits are only any use if you're topping up a system that's already under pressure. You also will have the wrong ratio of lubricant in and run the risk of damaging your system.

Don't bother!

Nothing wrong with the top up kits, I think some of them have a basic pressure gauge too, but if it has discharged over the winter then there must be a leak somewhere, most likely the condensers but could be anywhere!! Topping up will probably only be a temporary fix.

Some recharge kits have leak sealer and oil, I would probably avoid those.

If is just a shot of R134 to top up, then it should get you through a couple of months before you replace the condensers.

Well all I can say is when I connected the halfords 'stp' brand pressure gauge/ gas applicator, it showed no pressure, so 1st I put in a leak sealer/seal lubricant, this was from eBay and a very small bottle, it came with it's own applicator pipe including one way valve.
I then put the halfords 'stp' gas in up to the level as in the Instructions.
That was Feb 2019, it's still ice cold after 2k miles across Europe and the current heat wave so, from my experience, I can only recommend this.
If I had gone to Porsche or possibly an Indy, I'm sure they would have refused to refill and proceed to have my pants down :eek:

diverzeusy said:
Well all I can say is when I connected the halfords 'stp' brand pressure gauge/ gas applicator, it showed no pressure, so 1st I put in a leak sealer/seal lubricant, this was from eBay and a very small bottle, it came with it's own applicator pipe including one way valve.
I then put the halfords 'stp' gas in up to the level as in the Instructions.
That was Feb 2019, it's still ice cold after 2k miles across Europe and the current heat wave so, from my experience, I can only recommend this.
If I had gone to Porsche or possibly an Indy, I'm sure they would have refused to refill and proceed to have my pants down :eek:

I'll give it a try then. Sounds like I should investigate under the plastic in the frunk. Hopefully it'll hold. If not I'll go the expensive (proper) route.

Halfords do a free A/C check too. I popped down there on Saturday with an old BMW having booked it in online (I thought I'd have them check for leaks before potentially wasting money on a re-gas). I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised and the results were good. So I also bought a bottle of gas (£59.99 including £10 surcharge for the bottle) and the gauge (£19.99) just to have ready for any future needs...

:eek:

Full test and regas is only £60.

£39 down Yateley MOT centre at the moment if you are local

Done!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back