Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ignition Fault. I can pull the key out!!

Newbe

Montreal
Hi All

I was hoping someone has had this before and can advise?

I can pull the key out when the car is running 🤔

I'm looking at buying a new ignition switch? Looks easy to swap out?

Not sure if it needs programming or if I can use the same key?

Any ideas?

997 C4s

Yup you shouldn't be able to do that !!

It's just a lock with a series of switches in it .. it needs no coding and will accept any key you insert .. but the car wont start unless its the right key ... Transponder signal and not the key is what allows the car to start .

It's just about possible to replace without removing the lower panel .. i prefer to though .. i'm old and don't like agro :)

I had to do mine. Was exactly the same issue and as Demort says its straightforward. I did it without removing the lower panel but accepted that I was going to have to do some contortions to swap it out. Took about 20 minutes and job done

I purchased the new switch and fitted yesterday.

I made a bit of a meal of it, probably took me an hour🤪

All done though and working as it should now, thanks for all your feedback 👍

There's nothing wrong with taking longer to do a job , especially if it's the first time you have done this .. i take longer on ANY job i do for the first time .

It's always best to be thorough and do a good job instead of rushing things i feel .

The inside of this lock actually has a small electrical winding which moves the locking pin holding the key in .. its this bit that fails .

job done , car fixed :thumb:

Thanks

Onto the next problem.

Bent track rod arm👍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back