Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 air conditioning pipes

Stu3004

Evening.

My air con hasn't been working too well and following a re-gas attempt a leak has been found. It's the pipe that runs from the engine bay down behind the rear wheel (the thicker of the two). The leak doesn't seem accessible so a repair in situ isn't looking likely.

I have read a few posts on here and some suggest engine out job depending on the pipe - is that the case? Seems OTT for an aircon pipe but to be fair there ain't much room in that engine bay!

If so what would be the ball park for this £ wise, have already braced myself!

Otherwise so far so good with the car 3months in, will post an update shortly.

Cheers
Stu.

depends on the damage

Both my 911's had air con issues when I bought them it is a fairly common issue both had a front rad go/gone and the first had a rear leak as well.

Did you see the damage?
Is it a joint gone bad, corrosion, crush damage or a pin hole?

I ask because my first one had what looked like minor crush damage and a pinhole you could see the yellow fluid staining.
This was where the pipes ran under the car to the rear wheel arch and then up inside.

As a temporary fix I used the two part metal putty then wound some quality outdoors tape that I had in the shed around it.

Maybe it was because it was a pinhole in a small dent but it worked.
It was only a temp fix because the weather was hot and I had other things I needed to direct cash at at the time.

However, because it was working fine I forgot about it and a year later it was still holding and no sweating or yellow staining around the area.
Aircon worked fine and no obvious drop in performance.

Whilst I do not advocate such a bodge job as mine there are a number of fixes dependant on type of pipe damage and of course where you take it.

A garage my be able to make a piece and weld it in without engine drop or possibly repair a pinhole in situ.

An independent Porsche garage wanted to drop my first cars engine to replace a 'corroded brake pipe' that difficult to access for £800+. My other local garage had a look, said it wasn't that bad, cleaned the surface rust off is situ with a flexible attachment and a small piece of emery paper and then treated the pipe. I was a little concerned but said if it did not last 15 years they would change it for free! Cost was £30.

Above is just to illustrate there can be a work around.
Engine drop now is quite a bit more I think.

Hope you get it sorted and enjoy the car.

Regards
Glen

My a/c had a small pin hole in the pipe that runs along the side and is hidden by a block which the pipes sit in , so it was hidden ,water and corrosion gets in between the block and pipe .....***** to find but repairable

i'm pretty sure this is an engine out job to replace .. the pipe is a fixed shape and i don't believe there is enough room to manoeuvre it out .

let's put it this way .. i found instructions for every other a/c pipe replacement other than this one !

A/c pipes and they tend to corrode inside of the clamp brackets .. a small black spot when you dig at it is actually a pin prick hole .. a slow gas leak basically ...
A misting of oil and it's definitely a leak .

Dropping the engine by a few inches .. pipes connected will not work imho .. its an 8 hr job to drop and refit an engine .

Engine out and it soon descends into what else is worth changing whilst im at it .. these things do tend to spiral upwards .

The pipe is knackered (technical jargon) as it's in two pieces now so will start planning to schedule the full job and as you say demort it will spiral but may as well tick off a few known items (coolant pipes, rear oil seal(?) and any other bits that crop up).

Went in with eyes open these cars cost money but not as much as depreciation on something newer - classic man maths....

Just drive faster with the window open for now and go all Wimbledon with some sweat bands (no pics will be posted don't worry). :D

:hijack:

On a slightly different note, how much air con gas do they hold, and are they on r134a, as at some point I'm going to re-gas mine?

mine has never worked; i assumed it was the condensers. I think i'll get it on a ramp and carry out a thorough look before I re-gas it

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back