Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The 911 and the S2000

Griffter

Hockenheim
So a couple of months ago I had a good offer on my 996.1 C4 from a reader on the forum who'd had the runaround from some creative vendors and spent money on one too many PPIs. A deal was done and we were both happy. I liked the car and had enjoyed it, had enjoyed getting it in excellent condition (from a very good starting point) but always felt it was worth more than I was comfortable with and it was time for a change.

So between my son (10) and I we set out to buy a cheaper replacement for us both to use for day trips and car shows. Fast forward through the long list/short list and it was obvious from the start where we were going to end up. The Honda S2000 is 'classic" enough to appeal to me, has close enough associations with the 'JDM scene" with its ridiculous tasteless modifications for him, and is relatively uncomplicated and yet safe, comfortable and reliable enough for both of us to use. Many modifications will be promised but very few will be forthcoming...

Anyway having done my research and bought a car and spent a few weeks in the garage going over it I thought the list of points to be aware of might amuse you:

There are pre and post facelift models, each with their own appeal. Early cars have a prized cable throttle (early but actually into the facelift run).

S2000s rust, particularly at the back of the sills behind some plastic trim.

The radiator and condenser are exposed at the front of the car and benefit from mesh grill being installed.

Suspension bolts seize and need cutting out at vast expense. A suspension rebuild transforms the car. Centre Gravity are the go to people.

The hard brake pipe over the rear subframe is prone to rust.

More in common with the 996 than I ever knew!

Anyway despite this new chapter I still find myself checking 911uk daily and I'm sure I will for some time. It's a great forum with great people, some of whom I met at a Wilts meet last year and many of whom have helped directly or indirectly over the last 4 years. Thanks, and I expect to continue lurking (and probably occasionally posting) for some time to come. After all if I come across a nice cheap cable throttle pre facelift car with a suspension rebuild...

I've moved this from the 996 sub-forum and look forward to hearing more of your comparisons between the two cars.

Don't be a stranger. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back