Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Exhaust mufflers.

Mike_993

Monza
My 993 is having some work done using some saved up parts (discs, pads, caliper refresh, wishbones, engine mounts etc) and I had a good opportunity to view it on a ramp. The exhausts are original and really showing their age.

In my re-search for a replacement I could keep it original or go RSR, Dansk, motor-sound or Topgear Exhausts. Not sure if you can buy the motorsound exhausts now.

A bit louder but not boomy and shiny!! would be good but not essential. Any recommendations appreciated with cost in mind as well.
Mike

Send them to Gert for RSR conversion. I found Dansk a bit droney. Don't be too fussed about shiney unless you just want a show car. Use oem straps not Dansk or JP they are rubbish and use stainless bolts for the straps and unions. never heard Top-Gear.
I currently use Fabspeed mufflers they are well made but perhaps a bit loud.
I have used RSRs, std, Dansk sport, and self modified (too quiet but I'm not opening them up again.) Motor sound are only slightly louder (slightly bigger internal bypass pipe.)
The Fabspeed are free flowing a bit like a turbo one internally.
It's important to retain the internal baffle which creats a resonance chamber remove it and you get the irritating drone.
Decats are way too loud as are fabspeed supercups. The replacement cat that Gert does seems a good idea.
X-pipes ( pulse scavenging) change the torque characterists of the engine the cross pipes seem to be better for top end power (ie. separate banks)

Attachments

• fabspeed_xpipes_583.jpg
    fabspeed_xpipes_583.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 8,987
Thank you for your advice which is much appreciated, Seems most routes seem to lead to RSR,s but my exhausts have some dings and a seam has some exhaust filler so not sure if good enough for modification. I will photograph them and see what Gert says. Trying to avoid buying new although new from Porsche not a bad price.

Apologies for the thread hijack, hope the OP is ok with it as it seems a good thread to ask on. I will probably need to replace my exhaust system over the next year or so. Not wanting to do anything but replace the standard system what are the recommendations and likely costs?

Albionmuz said:
Apologies for the thread hijack, hope the OP is ok with it as it seems a good thread to ask on. I will probably need to replace my exhaust system over the next year or so. Not wanting to do anything but replace the standard system what are the recommendations and likely costs?

Hijack away, no worries as it is all relevant.
Mike

My previously modified boxes are also coming to the end of their useful life.

I'm planning to go for a new set of RSRs next but I'm tempted to do it sooner rather than later just in case the pound takes another hammering in the autumn.
:?:

madge said:
My previously modified boxes are also coming to the end of their useful life.

I'm planning to go for a new set of RSRs next but I'm tempted to do it sooner rather than later just in case the pound takes another hammering in the autumn.
:?:

Good thinking and anything could happen!! 1150 euros plus vat inc delivery is the cost having checked today.
Another Hampshire 993!

My exhaust is standard and I will be taking it off as soon as I found a replacement.

I want something with no cats

Give Haywood and Scott in Basildon a call.

They may well be able to rescue your current boxes and install a bypass to give it a fruitier sound.

They recently repaired some rust damage on my rear boxes.

I think most original boxes are now ready for a refresh, sent pics of mine to Gert and they were well past saving so new it was.

Question is do you go down the modified cat route, I didn't but it's something I may consider in the future.

Trev

Worth noting Gert doesn't do RSR by exchange anymore , so you have to go there for the work as I did a month or so back. I had 200 cell sport cats, RSRs. Motorsound airbox and big ovals fitted... simply superb.

Well worth the trip

I decided to refresh my boxes in the end. The exit pipes where pretty corroded, I had the mufflers blasted which showed up some pin holes in those pipes, other wise good. I have made some bypass pipe between the inlet and outlet pipe with vacuum operated values, allows quiet and louder at will. Had all that welded up, pin holes sorted, and a dent in one of the mufflers fixed. I have then had the boxes and tailpipes painted with a ceramic coating called Cerakote. The project kind of snowballed and cost the best part of 6-700 quid in the end including the new dansk tailpipes, plus my labour is all the frigging around. Would I do it again, not sure, if I was doing it again I think I would get some Fister mufflers.

If you want to see any pics of mine have a look on my Instagram, loads on there including the valve install.

Fister Level 3's on my previous S and again on my C2 with Ceramic Coat. No drone and sound superb... All IMO of course. :thumb:

Lots of videos on youtube showing the sound deifferences between Level 1, 2 & 3, plus with standard cats, sports cats, cat delete etc.

C.

I have the SCART boxes and 100 cell cats. Sounds incredible and very nicely made indeed.

I also have the Gert RSR boxes

Sound amazing and my only regret is not doing it sooner

He sent me a pair, I put them on the car and then he bought my old ones back - this was a few months ago though

Good luck

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back