Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Esso Synergy vs. Shell V Power

A chap with a 996 turbo said the same to me too!

Fortunately there's another dude with a 996 turbo (DynoMike) who's got actual evidence so I certainly won't be avoiding Esso 97 in future. Near me there's only really Momentum and VPower so I'll stick with them although I am a bit disappointed about the soot being left behind with DynoMike's testing of VPower... I thought one of its selling points was the lack of carbon build up if used. :pc:

I am ashamed ......

I am on my second Porsche and have never really paid attention to which fuel company I use :eek:

I religiously put in the higher octane stuff.

Most of the stations near me are big supermarkets, so it has tended to be a fill up at one of those including the Momentum 99 which Mike mentioned.

Am I a bad Porsche owner ?

Correct octane level is the start, so you're not bad :thumb:

If there's good reason why one is better than another or if there was a brand thought to be a bit iffy I'd take notice, but from what I understand how old the petrol is (i.e. how long in your car or in the tank at the station, hence using busy stations is thought to be a good idea) will have more affect than different brands.

On a recent road trip to the north of Scotland we put what we could find into the cars, sometimes super, sometimes not, we did have the Millers eco boost additive which may of helped, but all manner of brands, didn't notice any difference.

All that said, when somebody like DynoMike pops up with a good review of the Esso fuel it's interesting for me for location convenience, their App is handy for paying with phone at the pump, they link to nectar and there's a PCGB discounted fuel card to investigate too.

ragpicker said:
I am a bit disappointed about the soot being left behind with DynoMike's testing of VPower... I thought one of its selling points was the lack of carbon build up if used. :pc:
You can't have your cake and eat it. You have to decide where you want your carbon deposits; in the engine our out back on the tail pipes.

:D

Just to flesh the statements I've made out a little, the turbo at Anglesey was running the following spec; 0.9 bar remap, stock exhaust and a K&N panel filter. That was in 2015.

The car now runs with a Kline 200 cell cat system. there is no discernable increase in speed at Anglesey with this exhaust vs the stock when using Esso fuel. However, the car will run 117 mph all day long now on the three following fuels, Esso, Momentum99 and the Anglesey V power.

The reason for this is relatively complicated. The stock exhaust has more back pressure than the Kline which results in more burnt exhaust residue being present in the chamber on the next cycle (basically, it couldn't escape due to the relative restriction of the stock pipe). This does two things, the first is it raises the pre-firing temperature of the next firing stroke gas mixture. The second is that the resultant firing stroke will not make as much power due to charge contamination by the trapped exhaust gasses, but also, makes less heat! Working out what this does to the fuel requirement is tricky. But my turbo on the stock exhaust preferred the Esso.

Now the exhaust restriction is lessened due to the free-flowing Kline pipe, the motor is less sensitive to fuel brand burn characteristics and resultant heat release dynamics. But I stand by what I have said about the Shell varying from area to area, our local South West stuff is not good.

Diggermeister is correct. Most morern unleaded fuels leave fluffy residue in the exhausts, particularly on the tips. Take a peep about 5 inches up the pipe and you will find the burn colour.

I kind of expected this thread to degenerate a lot more than it has so far, but everyone is playing nicely so far :grin:

The Bot.

I routinely use Shell V power with all our cars and the only negative I can think of is the the new Shell Go+ scheme is not honoured by many Shell stations, to date I have 27 missing visits from my account and a zillion different excuses from every time I have paid for the fuel only to find the stations 'system' has not been updated or some other hogwash excuse.

Just last week I had cause to borrow my son-in laws Audi diesel.
As I drove it away I noticed it was super low on fuel and decidedly smoky when accelerating. I hot footed it to the nearest Shell and put half a tank of V power diesel. What a transformation :worship:
Immediately smoother tick over, slightly lower revs as well 900 down to 750 at tick over also. Most obviously it was almost smoke free when making progress. I understand the the car lives on a diet of Asda bargain diesel as a matter of course. Quite an impressive showing from the premium fuel, in my book. If diesel can be considered a 'real' fuel that is :hand:

been using Shell VPower diesel in all my diesel cars for the last 15 years, found it burns a lot cleaner than standard derv, I've never had any DPF problems since using it. It does cost me an extra £10 or so per fill, but worth it for the lack of hassle of blocked DPF, sensors etc.

The VP derv is allegedly cleaner because it's made from natural gas and not a a crude oil by product.

For petrol, usually Shell V Power, also had good results with Tesco Momentum when I can't get VP. I'd say 95/100 fills are VP.

I too always use V Power diesel in my Merc 250CDI. Costs more per tank, but does a demonstrably better mpg. You are correct, it contains GTL, which I understand is what they ran the derv Le Mans car on a while back.

"The VP derv is allegedly cleaner because it's made from natural gas and not a a crude oil by product."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2732880/Diesels-a-gas.html

not allegedly if this report in the telegraph is correct
I agree with above sentiments having replaced 3 EGR valves mind you refurbishing the injectors helped enormously.But for the turbo I might just try a bit of the Esso stuff it is on their website no bio ethanol but shell admit to the 5 %.It has often been reported to me that the Shell gas goes off over time in your tank presumably all the secret volatiles evaporating so as my turbo is infrequently used so Esso may be the answer.

Right fuel

I used to use shell Vpower in my turbo! I sold my turbo and now have an Aston dbs and found out that all fuels have bioethanol in them apart from one brand it's usually 5% but can be up to 15% the only fuel that doesn't have this in is Esso supreme and I now use that and I can feel a difference! All of you need to look what effects bioethanol can have on your engine, apart from less bang for your buck bioethanol deteriorates rubbers and seals. I must add that even though the government made esso clarify at pump the e number associated with bioethanol fuels Displayed on pumps there is no bioethanol in the premium fuel (apparently) they have to do this to comply with some laws

Re: Right fuel

Eey_ore_9 said:
I used to use shell Vpower in my turbo! I sold my turbo and now have an Aston dbs and found out that all fuels have bioethanol in them apart from one brand it's usually 5% but can be up to 15% the only fuel that doesn't have this in is Esso supreme and I now use that and I can feel a difference! All of you need to look what effects bioethanol can have on your engine, apart from less bang for your buck bioethanol deteriorates rubbers and seals. I must add that even though the government made esso clarify at pump the e number associated with bioethanol fuels Displayed on pumps there is no bioethanol in the premium fuel (apparently) they have to do this to comply with some laws

That is true!! We have an ethanol test kit at work and Esso Synergy is the only one without it. This has been verified by my contact at Esso (Exon-Mobil, makers of Mobil 1 and that isn't too shabby either!)

I was told by the same source, a senior dyno test engineer, that V Power is boosted by an aromatics additive, which does give up to 101 Ron when totally fresh, but reduces to around 96-97 Ron after only three weeks in the fuel station tank. Esso chooses a different route to boost octane, he didn't elaborate as to what additives are used (rather obviously).

This may or may not be why we find our local V Power to be very fast burning, requiring a totally different set of ignition values compared to the Esso fuel. However..... V Power tested from Cambridge was just fine and could tolerate almost the same ignition curve values as the Esso.

There is a lot going on with modern fuel.

I'm not overly fussy about fuel that goes into my 996, but I fly two different light aircraft, both of which may be run on either avgas or car petrol. In one of them my co-owners currently don't use petrol as there are serious consequences to the ethanol in it absorbing water from condensation in the tanks night after night. Anyway, whilst looking into what forecourt petrol has ethanol in it I discovered that super unleaded is not required by law to contain ethanol. Some super unleaded has it in there, plus aromatics, to raise the RON, but Esso premium fuel does not, it's pure and uncut. So that's what will be going in the planes, and handily, it's what I normally fill up with at my local garage.

Martin996RSR said:
I'm not overly fussy about fuel that goes into my 996, but I fly two different light aircraft, both of which may be run on either avgas or car petrol. In one of them my co-owners currently don't use petrol as there are serious consequences to the ethanol in it absorbing water from condensation in the tanks night after night. Anyway, whilst looking into what forecourt petrol has ethanol in it I discovered that super unleaded is not required by law to contain ethanol. Some super unleaded has it in there, plus aromatics, to raise the RON, but Esso premium fuel does not, it's pure and uncut. So that's what will be going in the planes, and handily, it's what I normally fill up with at my local garage.

This is also true. Your information about the pure and uncut tallies with ours from our source. He also indicated that some Race fuel from the US is blended in this country for use in the UK markets, using Esso fuel as the base, because it is the most stable and crucially, has no ethanol content.

Our man says that Esso are under pressure from other fuel companies to include bio ethanol in order to maintain the market status-quo. So far they have resisted, relying instead on high quality base stock and additives, which unlike many others, do not evaporate at the same rate.

Another reasonably reliable fuel, albeit with 5% ethanol, is Momentum 99. If we can't get the Esso, that is what goes in the tank, unless we are testing and setting up for Race Gas.

I really really really hope that Esso are not pressurised into this farce of including bioethanol in their product, why should we as consumers be forced into using something that might add to the wear and tear of components in our vehicles and or reduce the performance? we should have a choice. I'm assuming its all to do with eu law and carbon footprints i'v yet to look into that.
I'm sure I could reduce my carbon footprint elsewhere or even better persuade some Hollywood stars to do something about theirs that would enable me to occasionally drive my car on the best fuel available!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back