Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

service according to time and miles or in car display?

wilpert

Indianapolis
my 981 s, although 4 years old this week, has under 9k miles, the small service was carried out 2 years ago.
I asked Porsche East London if i should be having the 4 year/40k service and they said look on the vehicle service display information, which I did.
It says service due 03/20.
i called them up and they said the computer considers driving style mileage etc and advises accordingly, so it could change but no need to service now unless you particularly want to.

As this is the best part of £1,000-00 service should I wait or should i get it done now?

FWIW the car is likely to be sold before the service due date, so I would have to demonstrate this to the new buyer or reflect in the price.

well it will need a brake fluid change every 2 years

but to your point to sell the car on, any buyer wouldn't then want to shell out for its 4 year service, at least make sure it's done within 6 months of when it had it 4th year in light of the low mileage

Personally I would wait until either the car said you need it, or you find a buyer, then offer the service. If you service it now and don't sell for what ever reason for serval months then you may find a buyer who wonts an up to date service or someone who is not concerned.

When i reset a service interval on one of these it's a timer .. the next service will be in two years time from the date i set it .

To me the date was last reset on the 03/2018 .. if that's the date you had the last service then its correct .. if not then theres something that is a bit wrong .

Not uncommon with low mileage cars to see 4 days till service and 11000 miles to go .. its due in 4 days ... its time OR milage .

Just in case ...... there's more than one service interval on the display when you check , scroll down for the others ... im wondering if you only saw the Minor service and not the date for the Major which will be 4 years from PDI date .

Its like this:

Attachments

• img_0273_395.jpg
    img_0273_395.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,395
  • img_0273_114.jpg
    img_0273_114.jpg
opps double post.

Attachments

• img_0273_395.jpg
    img_0273_395.jpg
  • img_0273_133.jpg
    img_0273_133.jpg
this:

Attachments

• img_0274_476.jpg
    img_0274_476.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,392
and this:

Attachments

• img_0275_152.jpg
    img_0275_152.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,390
I called the delareship, they spoke with the service guys, who seemd pretty clued up and they said deffo no need for any service work until 03/20, so basically, we are talking about 2 yrs and 9 months bewteen services here.

I'm tempted to get an oil and brake fluid change as an interim thing, so it keeps the stamps in the book up but maybe thats just giving money away for no good reason.

As stated previously, the mileage is a bit under 9k and I do mainly singular long runs in the car, i.e. I do not make loads of short journeys, more like one longer run every week or two.

Personally I would put it in and have brake fluid and an oil change and have the book stamped accordingly.

That way it looks it has had what it needed and had not simply been neglected.

There's something wrong if the car will be 2 years 9 months from service to service .. its 2 years .

Part of the service schedule bellow .. it clearly states 2 years ... either there's a fault with the dashboard or the service date was incorrect when it was entered as i'm guessing it wasn't last serviced in 03 / 18 .

Up To you if you service it or sell it as is .. i'm just pointing out its two years between services and not nearly three :)

Attachments

• service_1_199.jpg
    service_1_199.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 2,337
Agreed Wilpert, there is something wrong there.

Mine was due a 4 year last october despite only doing 15,000 miles ie bob on 2 years from the first/interim service.

It would defo affect resale unless you got lucky and found a buyer who was not too clued up. When I looked I instantly dismissed any car without 2 year services, I was never even interested in the reasons why.

but the fact is the car is telling you wrong and so there must be something wrong :?:

nb for info some manufacturers go 3 year brake changes now but Porsche are still 2 no matter what mileage as it air contamination over time not mileage ;-)

It does suck, my 993 does <500 miles a year but I still have to get a tankerful of oil changed every year for the service book :roll:

The odd thing is, Porsche East London checked and double checked ans still said no need to service until the date stated.

I think I will book n for an oil and brake fluid service at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back