Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2006 Carrera 4S crap brakes

Practical Goat

We've had a Porsche 997 in over the last few weeks which originally came in for a faulty roof - we traced this back to a water filled module under the seat for the rear electrics but have been unable to code it with our diagnostic gear. The customer has now given us job no.2 which is to sort a really rubbish brake pedal (over-servo assisted and spongy). It nearly goes to the floor and barely holds the car when in drive.

The brakes have been bled (pumped via brake pedal).

Is there a known issue? Special way to bleed these?

Thanks.

If you have got air in the ABS circuit you need to run the ABS pump bleed process. This can be done with Durametric but probably easier to use an indy unless you intend to buy a Durametric anyway.
https://www.hickleys.com/pdf/durametric_matrix.pdf

Unless there is a leak or work has previously been done on the brakes then air in the brakes would seem to be a bit unusual .

From your previous post i thought this was a hard pedal with almost no servo assistance so this is somewhat different to what i posted on that thread .

We use a pressure bleeder but the old fashioned way will work just as well although the poor person continually depressing the brake pedal might not feel like it lol .

Spongy brakes .. possibly air in the system .. so has the car had any work that would indicate that or are there any leaks ... if an abs unit has been replaced then you DO need a tester to operate it to bleed the system .

A brake flexi pipe ballooning .

A master cyl fault .

Try clamping each caliper in turn to see if a single caliper makes any difference .

Can't think of anything obvious regards to the servo .. if water ingress then i would expect more of a hard pedal to be honest .

The servo vacuum is generated via a tandem pump o/s/r but i'm struggling to see an over vacuum causing any kind of issue at all .

Fault code read out and if you can a drive link test of the abs system .. never seen an abs unit fail like this though .. water under the seat won't have any impact on an abs as that's under the bonnet .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back