Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My first 911 (C2 gen1)

Sunny day drive out playing dodge the tourist. Pleased with how the 17s look, they go well with the minor drop of the H&R springs. I was worried there would be too much arch gap and/or tyre.

hcxEBqT.jpg

Nice to drive without my knee banging or resting against the centre console. Ran out of time to pair my phone with the stereo, this was a mad < 1 hour window of opportunity to go for a drive. Something I wouldn't have done if I didn't have the 911 as a fun car.

gTnquhj.jpg

Climate control screen definitely needs to be re-done and cleaned better. The metal cage can also probably be made to fit a little better. Lesson learned. Few other tweaks to go and it still needs a clean, clay, polish, seal and wax.

Hoping to drive out tonight for our local Cornish Porsche Owner's meet :D.

iOlly said:

What a great picture. :thumbs:

Your car looks fantastic with those wheels and from that angle. :thumb:

Thanks, it was a fun blast :D. I'm scouting for locations all the time now. Very sad :D. Kicking myself for clipping the branch on the left and wishing I had a better camera. Work keeps promising a new iPhone XS but it's always next quarter :D. Quite tempted to return to DSLRs but since the improvement in iPhone cameras, (current phone a 6PS), my last one just gathered dust.

My first Cornish Porsche Club Meet

EBWpwEg.jpg

Other than track days with friends, I've not been to a car meet for a long time (or had a car I wanted to go meets in!). Possibly since my T4 van days. Si & Jem (RK Engineering) and I decide to attend the Cornish GT4 Club, sorry, Cornwall Porsche Facebook Group meet at the Royal Oak, Perranwell. Ok, if it quacks like a duck it's geeky.

V0S2pep.jpg

Monday's forecast of 99% rain suggested not having fixed the leak and planning on attending wasn't the best idea. Therefore, I 'bravely' kept my status as 'maybe' until Si committed us that afternoon. We planned to meet up, drive over, catch up and then drive back to take some pics. With a bit of car swapping in between. Driving over was fun and a good warm-up for swapping cars later. Si suggested he'd struggled to keep up in a few places, and mine might even be quicker (a later test proved this wasn't the case :D).

IvFJzRe.jpg

A good mix of cars attended and it was nice to chat cars and meet up. Tried persuading a few of them to come to a TD soonish, and possibly karting for a next meet. Generously offered a GT4 drive but feared it would prove ruinous, and could literally prove ruinous in a worst case. As an added bonus the rain never came and as the sun started to set we headed off!

iQ483AW.jpg

Si' Seal grey Gen 2 C2, manual, 18s, stock suspension
Jem's Basalt black Gen 2 C4, Tip, 18s, stock suspension
My Arctic silver Gen 1 C2, manual, 17s, MO30 with H&R rear anti-roll bar
I've driven Si's and was keen to drive Jem's C4.

The first thing we all agreed on is the ride on the 17s is better. All three like to move around but it was agreed mine handled the best, cornered the flattest and was the most fun on the road. Result! The combo of M030 dampers, H&R springs and H&R rear anti-roll bar with Michelin PS4s on 17s seem to suit the 996 vs. Jem's on older Conti Sport Contact 6s and Si's on newish Michelin Pilot Sport 2s. No car seemed to offer dramatically more grip, grip seemed pretty consistent across the three. I suspect on a track the difference and benefits of 18s would become more apparent.

The C4 also didn't make much difference. It was as keen to break traction. Apart from briskly pulling out of one junction, I'd not of been aware of the front wheels driving at all. Where mine likes to break traction and slide a little, the road surface is awful, Jem's started to slide but had an extra bit of front end bite that dragged it more forward and resulted in less of a slide.

IMtKJOj.jpg

Si and Jem had a Gen 1 vs. Gen 2 rolling drag race. Downhill they were evenly matched, uphill the lowly 3.4 revealed its lack of torque and couldn't quite keep up. Jem's Tip C4 was marginally slower again, but there wasn't much in it.

Tiptronic is better than I thought but the longer ratios and odd shift logic detract a little, manual all the way for a 996. PDK it is not! A ZF 6 or 8 speed, it is also not. I'd peg it slightly worse than the SMG e46 m3s I've driven. In manual mode at least SMG does what you say, eventually. Tip seems quite happy to ignore all of my requests. I quickly gave up and let it do its own thing.

s2ssETL.jpg

Moody cliff shot to highlight awful headlights. Litronics are worth it, Jem thought my headlight switch was broken. Tempting to push all three off, the M96 isn't the most relaxing ownership prospect.

94wcI4n.jpg

Again, usual disclaimer, not a motoring journalist etc etc etc. Just my 2p waffle. Thanks for reading :D.

For those that can't be asked to sit through 36 mins of two blokes chatting...

Sniff bought it after his daughter was born, using the excuse of it has 4 seats, now or never, and he'd always wanted a 911. He drove a 996 in '98 and wanted one before and after. He had semi-approval from his wife (who now loves it after driving it herself, mine tolerates it and hasn't driven it yet :D). Takes his son in it with no car seat, but not his daughter as her car seat is too big. Come to this conclusion myself, I can't fit anything in without significantly cutting safety :(. It's surprisingly practical but he wouldn't use it for a long trip away with the family. It's part of his diverse fleet: iPace, 911, and Defender 90.

They both like how 911s are normal but special at the same time. Johnny wants one too. They laugh about values, especially 993 and 964 prices.

It's the first vid of theirs I've watched. The 911 caught my eye and Richard Porter has talked about it on the Smoking Tyre Podcast and Collecting Cars with Chris Harris. I was curious to hear and see more about it. Can't agree with the PDK choice, especially as the iPace is an auto. Can agree with the 997.2, if I could have stretched to that I would!

To quote mini-me "bit sad".

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...-911-996-carrera-----------------1998/9824113

Pleased to have owned a 911 and I've had some epic drives in it. Hoping to add Exmoor and/or a Welsh visit over the next couple of weeks. However, having a complete rethink re-cars.

The poor Clio hasn't moved, I spend more time worrying about the M96 than I do driving the 911, and my Nurburgring addiction is back in full force. That combined with the dog-hating it, not wanting to take mini-me in it, and conflicting interests on my car funds have led to this point.

If it doesn't sell I'll stick to my original plans of Anglsey in November, use it all year round and see what 2020 brings.

No intention of leaving the forum. It's an ace place and I will be back in a 911 or keeping this one if it doesn't sell. Just need a break from car stresses, to focus on more important things, and to have a little more time and space to enjoy it more next time.

All feedback and thoughts appreciated, especially on the advert.

Shame, enjoyed reading your thread. Your experiences with the 17" wheels has hit me looking for a set!

Sounds like you haven't gelled with it properly yet, took me a couple of months before I finally 'got it'. As a result can't imagine selling for a long long time.

IMO - you've invested time and effort getting it how you like. Sort the rusty sills and enjoy it for years to come.

Thanks, I've enjoyed writing it and will stick around for sure. I doubt people will be that interested in the fleet shuffle: no Porsche content and swapping 2xBMWs for a VAG Suv).

It's possible it doesn't sell, in which case I'll revert to Plan A and crack on. Interesting times at the mo!

Advert live on here too: http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=9182

Hoping to sort some more pics this afternoon.

Had a few offers around 8k, thanks to some selling on eBay at this price. Come to the conclusion I can win, win it with man maths...

First pref is it goes for near asking price, but rather than take a low ball I'll keep it until next year and just plan some more trips to get some more value out of it. And, delay our fleet reshuffle until then. Which, given the potential downsides of Brexit/impending instability, might be a better time to buy a newish Tiguan anyway...

Ignore the low offers, I think you get the price you're asking for all day long....

:sad: Ad v2 is live - https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...-911-996-carrera-----------------1998/9824113

Feedback appreciated, probably gone too far the other way now :D

Pretty stressful week in work, running a crucial workshop with some senior stakeholders. I've used the evenings to clean the car and unwind a little. The fact this is the only clean car of the four we own is further proof I don't have time for 4 cars at the mo. Cars need to take a bit of a backseat while I focus more on work and my career. It's a given my Mini-me comes before it all :D. Can't actually remember life before mini-me, what did I do with my time?? Possibly had 4 clean cars :D.

Car's are still my main passion/selfish hobby and I want to use the Clio more! I just need a bit more balance.

It's crying out for your seats and engine, keep the cab for cruising. I can deliver it too, least I could do given it's your old stereo 😀.

Am I helping?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back