Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Top Gear: Series 27 - Episode 1: Sun 16 Jun 8pm

Well - I know that the reviews are decent but it all fell rather flat for me. The jokes didn't provide much to laugh at and there is only so far you can take northern accent gags. It'll need subtitles in the US so one does wonder how well it will sell for the beeb's overseas arm too? I've seen people claiming that the trio have chemistry but personally I only saw it between the non-car guys (and it was frequently more irritating than engaging) - much as I used to like his YouTube stuff I still find Harris to be the kind of presenter who does not do his best work playing with others. And Flintoff and McGuinness playing table football - what exactly TF was that all about?

Now to clarify - it isn't terrible and certainly not the worst iteration that we have had, but one is left wondering whether the plaudits have more to do with how bad the last few years have been than a basis for genuine praise? The scenery was great and the cars entertaining but the presenters weren't. Good move to drop the guest celebrity slot, but did they have a choice with nobody on the team capable of conducting an interview?

So not the end of the world, but it really isn't all that IMHO.

Disco said:
Well - I know that the reviews are decent but it all fell rather flat for me. The jokes didn't provide much to laugh at and there is only so far you can take northern accent gags. It'll need subtitles in the US so one does wonder how well it will sell for the beeb's overseas arm too? I've seen people claiming that the trio have chemistry but personally I only saw it between the non-car guys (and it was frequently more irritating than engaging) - much as I used to like his YouTube stuff I still find Harris to be the kind of presenter who does not do his best work playing with others. And Flintoff and McGuinness playing table football - what exactly TF was that all about?

Now to clarify - it isn't terrible and certainly not the worst iteration that we have had, but one is left wondering whether the plaudits have more to do with how bad the last few years have been than a basis for genuine praise? The scenery was great and the cars entertaining but the presenters weren't. Good move to drop the guest celebrity slot, but did they have a choice with nobody on the team capable of conducting an interview?

So not the end of the world, but it really isn't all that IMHO.

Yep, pretty much how I saw it too. Tired format.
Chris Harris needs to up his game in front of the auto cue if wants to look a little less awkward, but his best work remains with his in-car delivery. Here he is peerless IMO, self scripted, relaxed and easy of address.

.....and the other 2 give us Northern Bints a bad name.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back