Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sport Chrono on manual?

Richtw

Ok so after a selling my 997.2 C4S and then a short dabble with a 991.2 GTS (now sold as I just did not get on with it, too big, too comfortable, just a competent everyday car really) I am back in the market for another 997 :)

What is the situation with manual cars and Sport Chrono? I have seen a good manual but does not have Sport Chrono - could this be specced on a manual or just PDK?

Thank you....

I'd say the car just isn't sporty enough without the throttle response 'Sport Chrono' provides. You can put a 'Sprint Booster' aftermarket part to achieve a similar throttle response on non Sport Chrono cars.

Yes, you could have sport chrono on a manual car.

My 2p worth....I had it and wasn't keen. The throttle is much more sensitive with it on and for me OTT for road use.

I know a lot of people love it though, so you would need to try one and make your own mind up.

The brochure extract below shows the difference between normal and sports mode (throttle), it's sometihng like 20% less travel for the same effect.

668991d1349282512-997s-with-without-sport-chrono-package-10-3-2012-12-31-37-pm.jpg

Richtw said:
Ok so after a selling my 997.2 C4S and then a short dabble with a 991.2 GTS (now sold as I just did not get on with it, too big, too comfortable, just a competent everyday car really)

Just as I suspected..

My manual has chrono, , I like it and it does sharpen things up on the car, it can as others have said be retro fitted with the button but not with the clock which is no loss as the clock is just a useless gimmick , So if you have found the right car but no chrono just factor in the £800/£1000 to have it fitted , as mentioned also I had a sprint booster on my gen1 and that has a similar effect it fools the car into thinking your driving more aggressively than you are although IMO the sprint booster is much more noticeable on tip cars as it stops the tip box from learning and adopting a lazy style when normal driving around town. :thumb:

C4S manual with chrono. First thing I do before setting off is to select sport mode and PASM off. Noticeable difference in response. Car feels lethargic without it.

I have a manual 4s with chrono, if I am on open roads I do like it on all the time as the car feels much more responsive but in traffic or around town I find it a little jumpy when you try for a light press of the pedal, so turn it off. If you do get a chrono car though you will also end up wanting a dsc module so you can switch the PASM on, off, sports otherwise you can not have the chrono on without sports pasm on or vice versa.

jpsh120 said:
Yes, you could have sport chrono on a manual car.

My 2p worth....I had it and wasn't keen. The throttle is much more sensitive with it on and for me OTT for road use.

I know a lot of people love it though, so you would need to try one and make your own mind up.

The brochure extract below shows the difference between normal and sports mode (throttle), it's sometihng like 20% less travel for the same effect.

668991d1349282512-997s-with-without-sport-chrono-package-10-3-2012-12-31-37-pm.jpg

Same here. I never use mine - I just find it a bit jerky. Not much wrong with then standard throttle response in my mind. Each to their.
That said, I really like the wart which other don't!

My C2S manual has Chrono, and the first thing I do every time i start it is press the sport button on, shortly followed by putting the suspension back on the softer setting. Makes the car feel so much more responsive, also it turns on the pse :D

You can't really turn PASM off, it's always on.

Magic919 said:
You can't really turn PASM off, it's always on.

True, it's PASM 'normal' or 'sport'.

I've got a .2 manual with Chrono and PASM. I don't use the sport mode much, i actually forget i have it sometimes, but it works better on B roads than around town and another definite benefit is blipping the throttle/heel toe is easier at higher engine speeds.
Mine has the PSE too but it doesn't turn on when i press the sport button, maybe that's a .1 thing?

Yes, 997.2 doesn't switch on PSE with Sport mode.

I don't have a manual and Sport mode doesn't always suit the PDK. I like the throttle response and it's a good way to stop the car heading for 7th quite so quickly. It's great for the Autobahn when you get a chance to nail it.

Another .2 difference is that RWD Carrera coupes received brake pre-fill.

Sports mode disables that on the .2 cars.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back