Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gmund Cars Ltd & Andrew Mearns FRAUD £1Million stolen

Pagoda1966 said:
77szymon said:
This is crazy, anyway you should all send message to MP as I did :) and inform him about criminal activity of Councillor Samantha Mearns.

https://democracy.harrogate.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=214

Already done this, particularly as Andrew Jones MP visited Gmund 1/12/18 and described Gmund as an 'amazing business". He responded personally saying he could only get involved with matters relating to his own constituents (which I'm not) and suggested I raise this as a potential breach of the Member's Code of Conduct for Councillors. I followed his advice but they're unable to pursue complaints which don't relate to Council business.

Starting to see how people get away with this type of thing.

Jonttt's petition suggestion has got me thinking .......

If they get enough complaints they can't just brush it off as not being their concern. At the end of the day they are knowingly allowing fraud in their constituency and should at least ask the local police commissioner to have someone have a look over it :wink:

Pagoda1966 said:
77szymon said:
This is crazy, anyway you should all send message to MP as I did :) and inform him about criminal activity of Councillor Samantha Mearns.

Already done this, particularly as Andrew Jones MP visited Gmund 1/12/18 and described Gmund as an 'amazing business". He responded personally saying he could only get involved with matters relating to his own constituents (which I'm not) and suggested I raise this as a potential breach of the Member's Code of Conduct for Councillors. I followed his advice but they're unable to pursue complaints which don't relate to Council business.

Mrs Samantha Mearns works in the office of Andrew Jones MP, which is why the MP will turn a blind eye to these crimes.

Wow :eek:

Definitely the more publicity the better :bandit:

911UK said:
Pagoda1966 said:
77szymon said:

Mrs Samantha Mearns works in the office of Andrew Jones MP, which is why the MP will turn a blind eye to these crimes.

:eek:

Samantha Mearns has now deleted her @sammymearns Twitter account but still has Gmund Cars listed in her Linkedin profile - so she either still proudly associates herself with Gmund Cars or is so inefficient that she hasn't changed her profile during the last seven months, since coming off the Companies House listing for Gmund Cars.

NHS Trust will not want to be associated with criminal activities, and she's not fit to act as a representative based on her husband's activities, so i'm sure they'd like to know about her connection to fraud:

https://www.hdft.nhs.uk/about/council-of-governors/meet-our-governors/cllr-samantha-mearns/

Sure Knaresborough Community Association will feel the same:

https://democracy.harrogate.gov.uk/mgCommitteeMailingList.aspx?ID=284

Petition sounds good, and sure the local press will now be interested!

Surely someone has connections in the media to pick this up. It's worth a run on Look North for sure

I am happy to sign a petition.
Who knows how to start an 'official' one?
We have had 17 forum pages of words. - time for a little action.

Pagoda1966 said:
77szymon said:

I would go back to Andrew Jones MP (Conservative) and ask him if his actions protecting Cllr Samantha Mearns (Conservative) fraudulent activities, meet the standards laid down for MP's of :

Selflessness

Integrity

Objectivity

Accountability

Openness

Honesty

Oh and of course you will be reporting him to the Parliamentary Standards Committee to verify that he has done nothing wrong.

Gmund

mikeluke said:
https://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/contact-us

Already done this plus Harrogate Informer and Yorkshire Post. Too worried about getting sued I suspect. They'll be all over it if the Police investigate and fine or imprison him. They'll even come up with a snazzy headline like 'Mearns, Meanz Fines" (or hopefully 'Mearns Meanz Time") but until then, deaf ears I'm afraid !

Tombri said:

I think it should be started on the basis of trying to persue not only an investigation into Gmund cars and Andrew Mearns, but also ensure regulations are brought in to protect people selling cars SOR. Should be done by ring fencing the asset and protecting the cash once it's sold. In the same way a tenants security deposit is protected when renting. Let's be fair a tenants deposit is peanuts in comparison to these values!

GlenB said:
Tombri said:

I think it should be started on the basis of trying to persue not only an investigation into Gmund cars and Andrew Mearns, but also ensure regulations are brought in to protect people selling cars SOR. Should be done by ring fencing the asset and protecting the cash once it's sold. In the same way a tenants security deposit is protected when renting. Let's be fair a tenants deposit is peanuts in comparison to these values!

Agreed, on it :thumbs:

GlenB said:
Tombri said:

Unfortunately ring fenced accounts holding funds on trust (ie outside the scope of company liability / assets) are harder to get than a commitment from Zingari to buy a £20k mint 993 :hand:

Banks will only give them to 'regulated" businesses eg solicitors. Accountants, and certain regulate industries eg Letting Agencies (although that has only been forced through via back door statute changes this year).

The way the Lettings agency works now with client funds is that they have to be insured against fraud / abuse. However to get that Insurance you have to be a member of a regulated body and have a trust fund client account in place with a bank. a bank won;t give you one of those unless your regulated and so it forces letting agents to become regulated by the back door.

Therefore to force cars sales to adopt a similar policy for client funds under SOR sales would force either the banks to relax their requirements for trust accounts (will never happen) or new laws forcing regulation. There is a massive cost to that to even get a regulatory body in place (paid for via subscription from its members), it takes years and a lot of commitment to get that sort of thing in place. The issue here is simply not significant enough to make that a priority as there are lots and lots of other financial transaction areas that are abused involving much much more money that will always take a priority for legislators.

So great idea in theory and would work but it will never happen unless the issue gets much bigger (I'm talking tens of millions of pounds).

The issue for me is that as with most commercial transactions there is an element of trust. It's simple for me that when that trust is abused and people are blatantly and consciously defrauded in the transaction then there simply has to be a penalty, otherwise they will just do it again and again as has happened here. That is where the b police step in, or rather should but totally fail to take any interest whatsoever as its a 'civil" not a criminal matter. That is total and utter *****, it is criminal end of. They are just being lazy and claiming lack of resource. It's a farce. I've had exactly the same happen to me twice in the last year (involving thefts from company not me personally) where we have admissions of guilt and full evidence provided to the police and they have simply not been interested.

That is the root of the issue here to me. People do wrong, break the law, break that basic trust and use it to just rip more people off, that should be punished. The police are totally failing to protect the public, that is core to their role/purpose and they are failing more and more to meet that basic role.

I think a 'in the public interest" campaign to get the police to at least investigate the crimes of Andrew and Samantha Means is what is required here. Any petition has to appeal to more than just Porsche or even general car enthusiasts, it has to go to basic principles of what is right and wrong and in that way may get the momentum needed on social media / the press to get something done about it.

There is a wider issue here based on my experience and that is what we have to appeal to joe public to help with via a petition IMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back