Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MotoGP starts this weekend :)

DucatiRob said:
There really is no comparison with F1, the racing is first class, fairing to fairing stuff almost every lap, how these guys do it is beyond me and I've done my fair share of track days!

The trust and respect riders have for each other is the reason they exchange paintwork I know only one guy who would punt people off in MotoGP/WSB and he became an outcast.

This fairing bashing is part of the the rush these guys get with each other on track knowing that nobody wants to hurt the other and will avoid an off at all costs. They would rather let another rider lean on them than risk a crash or injury to another

Doohan was the master at in your face tight racing and that code of conduct prevails today in MotoGP.......thankfully, as it beats the hell out of watching F1👌

Don't know if anyone watched the race at Mugello a week or so ago; one of the best MotoGp's i've seen in a long time.

What a great race and lots of barging and bashing around, and all at over 100mph.

Makes F1 look like a picnic

Roll on this weekend

Cracking race. Big boys going elbow to elbow. The last time I saw that kind of racing was Rosberg vs Hamilton in Abu Dhabi from memory. Well it was one of the Arab night races anyway.
The junior bike races are even more argy bargy.

Osh said:
Don't know if anyone watched the race at Mugello a week or so ago; one of the best MotoGp's i've seen in a long time.

I did and I have to agree.

Despite the action usually taking place on track I normally find myself fast forwarding Moto GP races where as I watch every lap of the more processional F1.

I watched all of the Mugello race.

I agree Osh, what a gem of a race. Proper racing at 220 mph in places, elbows out, down and any which way, superb.

Marquez at 65 degrees of lean too.... :eek:

Mugello was a good one yes.
The right man won too. Petrucci worked hard that race and it was a good two fingers up to the doubters in the press saying he's lost his factory ride for next year. Whether he has or not he showed them on race day.

Move of the race was squeezing back through at turn one. Without that I doubt he'd have got the win.

Anyway his first GP win at his home track. Really nice.

Apart from Mugello though and the odd move at Lemans, it's been a bit of a snooze fest this year. I know it's easy to be critical but every year during the winter, the build up seems mega exciting. You think 'Oh he's moving up from Moto2, such and such is moving to that team" etc etc.
Then the season gets underway and it's never as good as the hype.

Having said all that we are generally seeing a larger group of bikes at the front for longer which is always good, but usually Marc still rides away with it.

I'm hoping Dovi becomes a bit more threatening like last season.
What about Lorenzo though eh? Was always going to happen though jumping on a bike designed for Marc and Marc being priority. I hope he can sort it though as he is good and a big miss at the front.

I think Rossi should try and go back to Ducati for one final contract. Worth a go. Italian on Italian bike.

I'm off to his restaurant in Tavullia in a couple of months and will be visiting the Marco Simoncelli museum along the road. Can't wait. 8)

That's a fair appraisal, Marky. It has become a bit like the 800 era in some races, the bikes are just too closely matched overall (give or take), so riders have to ride very precisely to get the best from their package.

BSB rules have given that series a good shot in the arm. I realise taking TC off the GP bikes is really akin to playing Russian roulette, but, the true cream would rise to the top. My basis for this comment is this; Quarteraro has jumped straight on a gp bike and gone stunningly quick, just like his French compatriot a few years back at Tech3. This just shouldn't be possible without a lot of time on the grands prix bike, but it is.

Remove some of the tech, watch the real masters ride with feel alone, then we will see some racing. Smoking tyre slides again anyone? The current bikes only see full power in sixth gear, the power is cropped a little in fifth, a lot in fourth and barely 40-50% in first.

Discuss!

Yes Mike, I agree with all that. Take the nanny systems off and see what's what, or rather who's who.
They'll never do it though, because as much as viewers see it as making things boring, it is actually still flipping dangerous out there. They managed for long enough before TC, but that's because it hadn't been invented yet. :grin:

I'd like to see it reduced though, just some sort of basic system if there has to be something.

Going back to Mugello, there was a point in the race where Rossi and Lorenzo were 16th and 17th or thereabouts. I said to the wife 'How the mighty have fallen, remember the battles they used to have when they were both at Yamaha." :grin:

Fair enough Rossi got taken off wide, but he was way down anyway and that's exactly what happens when you put yourself in amongst the slower riders.
He then had a clear track and set the fastest lap of the race. Next lap he fell off all on his own. :frustrated: :grin: Nightmare.

It's frustrating that they can't improve the engines during the season. The Yamaha's are screwed now until next year. Although having said that they couldn't sort them out over the whole of last winter so could they even improve them anyway?
Vinales finds his groove as the fuel load comes down but by then it's too late. He must be so frustrated.
Anyway roll on the next one. I just want to see a battle up front. I'm not fussed who it is. I like that we are seeing some other names up there sometimes. Rins is doing a cracking job this year on the Suzuki. :D

Marky911 said:
Mugello was a good one yes.
The right man won too. Petrucci worked hard that race and it was a good two fingers up to the doubters in the press saying he's lost his factory ride for next year. Whether he has or not he showed them on race day.

Move of the race was squeezing back through at turn one. Without that I doubt he'd have got the win.

Anyway his first GP win at his home track. Really nice.

Apart from Mugello though and the odd move at Lemans, it's been a bit of a snooze fest this year. I know it's easy to be critical but every year during the winter, the build up seems mega exciting. You think 'Oh he's moving up from Moto2, such and such is moving to that team" etc etc.
Then the season gets underway and it's never as good as the hype.

Having said all that we are generally seeing a larger group of bikes at the front for longer which is always good, but usually Marc still rides away with it.

I'm hoping Dovi becomes a bit more threatening like last season.
What about Lorenzo though eh? Was always going to happen though jumping on a bike designed for Marc and Marc being priority. I hope he can sort it though as he is good and a big miss at the front.

I think Rossi should try and go back to Ducati for one final contract. Worth a go. Italian on Italian bike.

I'm off to his restaurant in Tavullia in a couple of months and will be visiting the Marco Simoncelli museum along the road. Can't wait. 8)

Nice one Mark and fully agree with everything you said; love watching Lorenzo on his day but can't understand where his head is at right now. I know Marquez is very good but I can't stand the little sod. Huge fan of Valentino (jealous you are going to his restaurant) and 58Sic was one of my favourites - still wear his t-shirt int he gym regularly.

Rossi - back on a Duc'; wow - what a wonderful idea..... :bandit:

Osh
(p.s. - looking forward to Spa, wonderful circuit for bikes)

DynoMike said:
That's a fair appraisal, Marky. It has become a bit like the 800 era in some races, the bikes are just too closely matched overall (give or take), so riders have to ride very precisely to get the best from their package.

BSB rules have given that series a good shot in the arm. I realise taking TC off the GP bikes is really akin to playing Russian roulette, but, the true cream would rise to the top. My basis for this comment is this; Quarteraro has jumped straight on a gp bike and gone stunningly quick, just like his French compatriot a few years back at Tech3. This just shouldn't be possible without a lot of time on the grands prix bike, but it is.

Remove some of the tech, watch the real masters ride with feel alone, then we will see some racing. Smoking tyre slides again anyone? The current bikes only see full power in sixth gear, the power is cropped a little in fifth, a lot in fourth and barely 40-50% in first.

Discuss!

Agreed Mike but as Mark says its never going to happen. I suppose that's 'progress'

Gotta say i'd watch MotoGP over F1 any day. Like the fact that people like Rins are getting the Suzuki in to the top 5 or 6 regularly and all the new guys coming through.

As Mark says - bring on the next one; Catalunya this weekend! :grin:

Osh

Osh said:
(p.s. - looking forward to Spa, wonderful circuit for bikes)

I wonder if it will ever happen :?:

Can't believe it's 41 years ago that I went to my first international GP race there, 1978 - the last year the full 14km circuit was used. The year before Sheene set a new lap record with a 135 mph average lap speed !! It's still the fastest bike lap ever.

When you see the bikes they were on compared with 2019 stuff ....... :eek:

T8 I bet it has been good to watch through all the different era's and rivalries.
What has been your favourite then?

I had Sheene and Randy Mamola posters on my wall as a kid but I then didn't watch until my 20's again when I got back into bikes.
This was just as Rossi appeared so all I've known is the Rossi era. I'm an unashamed fan of his, even though it seems the cool thing these days is to dislike him. I'm a fan of most other riders too though. They're all the cream of the crop.

Hi Osh, I'm with you on Marquez, although he's something else on a bike and I do like his energy etc. He dicked about with a championship that was no longer his in 2015 though, so I'll never have the respect for him that I did.
It's in the past though and the sport is definitely better with him in it. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
T8 I bet it has been good to watch through all the different era's and rivalries.

What has been your favourite then?

Sadly I didn't watch a lot of the big names from the mid-80s to the mid-2000s as work and family commitments took over my life.

I was a massive bike and bike racing fan from 1976 to 1984 and followed Barry Sheene all over the UK and to several European GPs. His retirement coincided with me losing interest in bikes so I missed all the big names and rivalries throughout the next 25 years.

I didn't get into Moto GPs until my son started following it when Rossi, Stoner and Lorenzo were going at it in 2009 but it's only been a TV thing for me.

Similar to me then T8. I've basically witnessed the whole Rossi era and I'm very glad I have.

What about this weekend then eh? 4 of the front runners skittled in one go.
Who knows what an epic battle that might have been.
I actually felt a bit sorry for Lorenzo. That'll mess with his head.
Mind you he does the sad puppy face very well, then the next time he wins he does all that Lorenzo land bollocks so I won't feel too sorry for him. :grin:

Good rides by the rest. The battle for 2nd was ace with Rins trying everything.
Obviously Quartararo is going to be pretty special as time goes on.
Good ole Cal Crashlots was on top form as usual.

Roll on the next one. :D

Marky911 said:
Similar to me then T8. I've basically witnessed the whole Rossi era and I'm very glad I have.

What about this weekend then eh? 4 of the front runners skittled in one go.
Who knows what an epic battle that might have been.
I actually felt a bit sorry for Lorenzo. That'll mess with his head.
Mind you he does the sad puppy face very well, then the next time he wins he does all that Lorenzo land bollocks so I won't feel too sorry for him. :grin:

Good rides by the rest. The battle for 2nd was ace with Rins trying everything.
Obviously Quartararo is going to be pretty special as time goes on.
Good ole Cal Crashlots was on top form as usual.

Roll on the next one. :D

2 laps in and it was race ruined. With the qualifying results it looked like it was going to be a cracking race. And whilst Marquez is without doubt a bit special, he doesn't half get the rub of the green! Only he could be that close to a major incident and get away with it!

Real shame for the championship too. Needs another DNF from Marquez to even things up and that doesn't happen very often.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back