Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First 911 - Early 2004 3.6 Gen 1

99pFlake said:
Very nice work! With the brake discs did you give the face of the wheel bearing a sanding to get rid of any corrosion and/or check the run-out of the disc after it was installed?

I only ask as it's often the source of "warped" discs in the future due to uneven disc wear. I speak from bitter experience having failed to do this myself on a car with discs that were over £400 each :frustrated:

Hi, I certainly cleaned off everything from the face with a wire brush and lots of brake cleaner (it was filthy, rusty and covered in old gunk), and then gave it all a light coat of copperslip. When I seated the new disc against the face I slackened off the handbrake shoes and pushed the disc home with a rubber mattet, turning it several times to ensure it was properly seated before tightening the 2 retaining screws so Im pretty sure its on as correctly as I can get it at home on the drive way... ?

I might buy a cheap dial gauge off ebay though and test it out when i get the wheels off to adjust the handbrake again :?:
Incidentally, how bloody heavy are those rear wheels? what a faff that is putting those back on (or is it just me?) Wish it was studs on therer instead of wheel bolts, or at least a locating spigot.... :nooo:

Hertsdriver said:
I might buy a cheap dial gauge off ebay though and test it out when i get the wheels off to adjust the handbrake again :?:
Incidentally, how bloody heavy are those rear wheels? what a faff that is putting those back on (or is it just me?) Wish it was studs on therer instead of wheel bolts, or at least a locating spigot.... :nooo:

I used the mounting bolt I borrowed from my Mercedes' toolkit. Screws into the topmost bolt-hole for you to hang and locate the wheel on.

There should be one in the 996 toolroll, if my car's previous owner hadn't lost/stolen it. Is there not one with the 997?

Lovely car...

not sure if anyone has mentioned it already but you can get factory cruise control retro fitted, Wrightune in Wallingford did my 996 while I popped into the town for a coffee and a stroll round - www.wrightune.co.uk

Robertb said:
Hertsdriver said:
I used the mounting bolt I borrowed from my Mercedes' toolkit. Screws into the topmost bolt-hole for you to hang and locate the wheel on.

There should be one in the 996 toolroll, if my car's previous owner hadn't lost/stolen it. Is there not one with the 997?

There isnt one on a 997 as it has no spare, so theoretically no need to remove the wheel.... :sad:

Gazc2 said:

Thank you! I am pretty sure I can probably make one of those up from a bit of Steel bar, especially now I know what it looks like, but might just buy one and be done with it! :thumb:

peterg1955 said:
Lovely car...

not sure if anyone has mentioned it already but you can get factory cruise control retro fitted, Wrightune in Wallingford did my 996 while I popped into the town for a coffee and a stroll round - www.wrightune.co.uk

Thank you, yes I was aware of the cruise and may do that at some point in the future... as is my want in life I will probably try to do it 'on the cheap' with a used stalk and then either get it coded, or try to find a unit that allows me to code it myself (in the VAG scene I used a knock off VCDS system with good effect...)

Thefinn said:
car looks lovely OP but have you heard of the APC tandem pump cover that could save you quite a few pennies in the long run as yours looks like its not too far off leaking although most look like that!

https://alternativecarparts.co.uk/shop/997-porsche/porsche-997-tandem-pump-cover-c2-c4/

Thank you!

I think it (pump cover) looks worse than it is due to my poor photography , but I am monitoring it and expect to have to do something about it sooner rather than later. I have read up on the covers and understand the previous versions were made in stainless which didn't really work out, so would love to know more about the newer alloy versions, but I believe the company no longer sell them? They are certainly out of stock on the link you provided which is a shame, so perhaps I need to find somebody that bought one but didn't fit it? :lol:

This forum is great!
Been wanting to change my steering wheel from the triangle airbag muti-function wheel to something a little less 'triangular'... and a guy on here contacted me who had changed the wheel out of his '4S' for a carbon version, only issue is he lives in Kent. But as luck would have it he was working in London today so we arranged to meet up and swap 'wheel (and airbag) for ca$h' :lol: so strapped it in to the Brompton bag and made my way home wher of course I immediately fitted it :thumb: So pleased! :thumbs:

If anyone wants a multi function wheel drop me a line :bandit:

Attachments

• 714c1ba3_7f89_491f_bc11_82b4baa58559_318.jpeg
    714c1ba3_7f89_491f_bc11_82b4baa58559_318.jpeg
    944.6 KB · Views: 3,593
  • a281bdca_2ad6_4618_a4c6_9ebf9ada4a63_181.jpeg
    a281bdca_2ad6_4618_a4c6_9ebf9ada4a63_181.jpeg
    716.8 KB · Views: 3,593
Hertsdriver said:
Id also previously cleaned up the old 'carerra' badge that id taken off and painted it gloss black with new double sided foam so that went on too which was satisfying as they are at least £50 to buy

ref the air con condensers I painted mine in Black with spray paint as the new ones stick out like a sore thumb ;-)

Got a new drive belt today (plus some jack pads 👍 from a forum member) from car parts for less (Conti), the old one had been checked and was deemed 'ok', but it hadn't been changed for a long time... got the old one off and compared the 2, it was obvious that the new one was far more pliable than the old, and once installed the new belt was a lot quieter, however I think definitely one but possibly 2 of the idlers need replacing....

Attachments

• 675f75d1_6373_432c_bdb1_619297d291cb_209.jpeg
    675f75d1_6373_432c_bdb1_619297d291cb_209.jpeg
    850.9 KB · Views: 3,911
  • 98e79475_6552_4225_8c3a_7b895e34d4c8_650.jpeg
    98e79475_6552_4225_8c3a_7b895e34d4c8_650.jpeg
    721.6 KB · Views: 3,902
The top one sounds bone dry and gritty but none of them seem great, I'd replace all three for peace of mind. Check the alternator freewheel pulley is functioning too.

Yeah I'll probably do all 3... nothings cheap :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got the back wheels off again today and adjusted the handbrake, then gave it another full clean and wax.... :thumb:

Attachments

• 25e1985e_4428_4e67_93ac_4a2c2484b093_911.jpeg
    25e1985e_4428_4e67_93ac_4a2c2484b093_911.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,777

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back