Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone ever opened up a 996/986 era fried egg?

Looking at modding said assemblies to have a projector lens and HID instead of the nasty reflectors.

Anyone had any experience of this? I know some people whack them in the oven? How are they stuck together?

Once tried to open an assembly on mkIV Golf when some git tried to pinch an HID bulb from my R32, didn't go well. Tried a heat gun too, things weren't pretty.

cant remember the guys username for the life of me now
but i know there is a guy with a thread in the 996 section that has opened up his lights and custom made some LED's and put them in in the pattern of the more modern 911's
so he would be the man to ask

if it jogs anyone else's memory of the guys username i remember he had a silver aero kitted 996.1 that had the 996.2 rear aero spoiler and had black stone guards fitted

Many thanks, Gents. Funnily enough the link I saw from the States where the guy made his own Carrera GT projectors was linked in this very thread.

Have messaged the OP, he didn't mention how he opened up the assembly sadly.

Look at what the American chap with the red 986 achieved!

Attachments

• 1c69075c_cb81_49d3_a1e6_b9e32f23a592_196.png
    1c69075c_cb81_49d3_a1e6_b9e32f23a592_196.png
    950.5 KB · Views: 7,991
Still here. :bye:

I have taken an HD light apart from the rear to fix a loose reflector, the guts come out ok, but I didn't take out the main reflector - it may well come out. You have to be careful about taking out the adjuster but it's pretty straightforward.

I've seen on line articles about Hella producing an HID projector that looks like it would be a direct replacement for the projector in the face lift lights. The projector just screw in so I'm thinking about having a go....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back