Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tell me I shouldn't do it... Cat D 997.1

Failing on emissions isn't common on a well looked after car unless the Lambda Oxygen sensor is 'goosed', a replacement would sort that issue out so not a lot to worry about there.

It looks a nice car and TBH the engine alone is worth a fair wedge of cash!

I'm just in the process of putting right an accident damaged car and I've specifically asked the body shop to take pictures all the way through to show what's been done.

I wouldn't touch it at even £10k.

It is a 350BHP car, 0-60 in 4.5 seconds - if you have a death wish, go for it!

New engine, new gearbox, who knows what else. The seller is clearly desperate to sell, telling a story about points on his license.

I have never done a PPI on any car, you just have to use some common sense.

I wouldn't be scared of a cat d car, but I would want to know the extent of the damage, also the advertised price is way too much imho, so you do need a decent discount from that.
If I was you, proceed with caution, but don't totally dismiss it.

I've also fitted a new genuine Porsche badge (very expensive), and replaced the key with the newer style genuine Porsche key (also at great cost!)

not owned the car very Long, and i always wanted a 911 - but i received a very large speeding ticket in the first few weeks which has made me worry for my license and ruined my joy in the car

He just wants rid - a speeding ticket would not provoke most people into selling

Clearly he is willing to part ex for absolutely anything that actually works!

I am guessing he has lost a lot of sleep over his impending repair bills.

It is a Cat D, lived in France, Germany, who knows where else, has had a new engine (which most likely has been done all wrong) and new gearbox.

He is moaning about the cost of a badge, a key and a speeding ticket - I am guessing those are the least of his problems.

Go figure.

Poker2009 said:
Clearly he is willing to part ex for absolutely anything that actually works!

I am guessing he has lost a lot of sleep over his impending repair bills.

It is a Cat D, lived in France, Germany, who knows where else, has had a new engine (which most likely has been done all wrong) and new gearbox.

He is moaning about the cost of a badge, a key and a speeding ticket - I am guessing those are the least of his problems.

Go figure.

I have to admit that this mirrors my thoughts exactly, to me, not enough info and too much of a risk.

Don't walk away OP...run

Like has been said he seems to be desperate to get rid with taking any car he can via PX

I'd recommend you know Hartec's phone number because it'll be a big bill if it's bore scored

Echo what others have said

No way without full PPI from reputable garage.

Would only not agree to that if hiding something and using a cover story as excuse.

If the PPI and engine check comes back ok then at the right price why not.

Does seem toooo keen to get rid I mean sell the car.

Tread carefully
Regards
Glen

OP were you actually looking to get into a 997 or even a Porsche after the sale of your Alfa? If not then i think you might be getting talked into this one, personally i would sell your car and buy the car you want, it might take a little longer but if you don't get the right car you will be looking for it in a few months anyway.

If it is a Porsche you want then i would say there are better deals out there with the current market, also who on the forum would buy this car off OP if he was to sell :?:

You have also suggested that the deal must be done tomorrow which to me sounds a bit suspect, if the car was genuine and he really wants your Alfa then a few days or weeks to get the deal done right wouldn't matter to either party.

The choice is yours and you have met the guy, we are all speculating without the face to face you have had, we all could be wrong and you could do well out of it.

Good Luck

Poker2009 said:

New engine, new gearbox, who knows what else. The seller is clearly desperate to sell, telling a story about points on his license.

It's great that people think like this as it leaves some bargains out there.
A Porsche can become a cat D for relatively minor damage. It will not be structural damage as a cat D (because that would be Cat C) and if repaired correctly could be an excellent buy at a discount.
. A non Cat D could have more filler in it than a Cat D, it was just repaired without going through Insurance. I have owned several cat Ds and had no trouble at all with them related to that factor. It does however take an experienced buyer to spot any potential issues, or a good PPI.

But this one sounds suspect... if he is willing to px anything, that is a bad sign...

darkhorse said:
Poker2009 said:

A Porsche can become a cat D for relatively minor damage. It will not be structural damage as a cat D (because that would be Cat C) and if repaired correctly could be an excellent buy at a discount.
. A non Cat D could have more filler in it than a Cat D, it was just repaired without going through Insurance. I have owned several cat Ds and had no trouble at all with them related to that factor. It does however take an experienced buyer to spot any potential issues, or a good PPI.

But this one sounds suspect... if he is willing to px anything, that is a bad sign...

If my car goes to Cat C or Cat D, you are welcome to it.

Actually structural damage is a CAT S, I know I've just bought one and it's currently in the bodyshop being repaired. The damage was actually minimal, a dent in the sill and some panel damage but Porsche will not repair they will only replace so hence with a 5 or 6k repair bill the car was written off.

These cars are a bargain and if you have documented damage pictures and repair bills they can be bought and run for very little money.

As this particular car has had what appears to be a lot of damage and hence a lot of replacement parts it should be thoroughly checked out, firstly to make sure there were proper OEM parts used and secondly that the repair was done properly. If the seller is reticent to do this then head home.

Why is a full PPI off the table? That would set the alarm bells going....

There is nothing wrong with a Cat D car, as long as it has been repaired properly, but seems we don't know if it has?

Who supplied or rebuilt the engine? Another worry unless its a good engine builder.

A Cat D car should be 30% to 35% lower in price than the same car which isn't. So, here I would say £18k to £20k for an 88k mile car with a rebuilt engine, maybe £22 depending on spec, so it should be in the £15k region.

For me, run a mile, unless you can have a full PPI!

easternjets said:
Actually structural damage is a CAT S, I know I've just bought one and it's currently in the bodyshop being repaired. The damage was actually minimal, a dent in the sill and some panel damage but Porsche will not repair they will only replace so hence with a 5 or 6k repair bill the car was written off.

These cars are a bargain and if you have documented damage pictures and repair bills they can be bought and run for very little money.

As this particular car has had what appears to be a lot of damage and hence a lot of replacement parts it should be thoroughly checked out, firstly to make sure there were proper OEM parts used and secondly that the repair was done properly. If the seller is reticent to do this then head home.

Precisely, Porsche wont repair hence a lot get written off, ah yes, my bad, showing my age there, Cat S and Cat N are the new C and D I believe.

Poker2009 said:
darkhorse said:
Poker2009 said:

If my car goes to Cat C or Cat D, you are welcome to it.

Cat S and N it is now to be technically correct it seems :grin:
Perfect, if its cheap I'm there :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back