Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine rebuild - second time...

Are there any thoughts about the condition of the other non failed head?

The reason I'm mentioning it is that if the problem has been caused by an overheat wouldn't the other head have been subject to it too, similarly if it was caused by a manufacturing error, for example the interference fit of the seats were incorrect when the head was made isn't there a very good chance the other head was from the same batch?

What's happened so far is bad enough ,it would be almost unimaginable to get it back together with a new head then have the other original head drop a seat!

Mac

RH head seems fine. There isn't any other evidence to suggest an overheat on LH, hence suspicion of manufacture issue.

I doubt the heads rolled off the production line together and found their way on to the same engine, so I can only go with what is in front of me. Could the other head drop a seat - potentially yes - but it will have been rigorously and thoroughly inspected before it goes back together and that is as much as anyone can do.

infrasilver said:
Ghianightmare said:
T

Am I the first owner to have a 996 with 2 rebuilds for the same reason? Might I be eligible for a prize. :?: like a free head :D

Yes, you get a third failure for free.

Although I am sure there are a few that have had a couple of IMS bearing failures in the same engine, especially when they have "upgraded" to an aftermarket type solution

:hand:

So I'm going to convert to a 3.9...

What's the point in spending a heap of money only to get what you had previously, when you can just ask the bank for a little more and get something different?

We're here for a good time, not a long time... :D

Clutch, flywheel, brake pipes, will be done at the same time.

Brilliant! I like your style!

And totally agree with looking at these kind of issues as an opportunity.

Ghianightmare said:

What's the point in spending a heap of money only to get what you had previously, when you can just ask the bank for a little more and get something different?

That's the spirit, top stuff :thumbs:

Ghianightmare said:

You sir are an inspiration! :thumb:

It will be superb, good choice :thumb:

MC

I like your style mate , if your keeping it , why not !!😁

Very sorry to hear your story, OP - but like your approach to fixing it!

What does one of Hartech's "bullet proof" 3.9's kick out in terms of output?
I imagine substantially more power than the standard 3.4 but is it as "revvy"? Of course I'm guessing the low end / mid range torque will be vastly improved!

There is a short write up on our oversized engines on our web site www.hartech.org that has some graphs showing differences in output.

But there is a lot more to follow soon in comprehensive reports on the whole subject.

I hope you guys realise that any increase in Torque at one particular rev point will be the same % increase in BHP at those revs (since revs are the only variable).

Bearing that in mind - in most cases our oversized engines increase maximum torque by around 15% (and therefore BHP by 15% at the same revs) but increase maximum BHP at peak revs by about 10% (because the torque is always lower at peak revs with there being less time to fill and evacuate the cylinders).

The 3.4 to 3.7 is often better than that and so is the 3.4 Cayman S to 3.9.

The new report (available soon) explains why it is the rear wheel torque graph against speed (shown in the above short write up) that shows how extra mid range torque increases acceleration much more than power at peak revs - but if this controversial subject is confusing you will have to wait until the full report is available where I try and explain it (it takes a lot of work and pages of writing and graphs etc to do so).

Perhaps it would help to notice the revs you usually accelerate from and what revs you usually change up a gear at during normal or fast driving to understand the benefits.

Just because there is even more torque in the mid range does not reduce the addition power you also get higher in the rev band and this is much better (and makes for a much nicer car to drive) and faster than trying to increase the revs and peak BHP of a standard sized engine.

I hope this doesn't unearth the usual arguments as I am too busy to respond in detail on here when I have dome so in great detail in the forthcoming report.

Baz

Ghianightmare , I do like your thinking and as we have discussed on here many times, fortunately due to the low depreciation of these cars it make the man maths work well on a car you intend to keep a while , the Hartech 3.9 will make you grin ,it will be as bullet proof as its possible to be , it will ad value and will cost less than you would lose in depreciation if you had brought a BMW or Merc instead of the 911.
Tell the wife I have a tent you can borrow for the Lake District :grin: :grin:

Its quite easy to get from Manchester Airport to Hartech in Bolton, I know as I picked my car up from them a couple of months ago after its rebuild sadly they are not ready yet and haven't finished development with the 4ltr 997.2 conversion otherwise I would have had that 100% .

Its good to read that water-cooled owners are starting to be as calm and accepting about rebuilding the engine as the Air-cooled guys have been for a long time , its part of the Porsche journey and as I said only costs the same as the depreciation you would suffer on pretty much any other car owned for 4 years or so . :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Baz - good explanation- you seem to know your stuff! :thumb:

Hi Phil - thanks for the offer of the tent! I'll keep you posted. I have been looking at the train options - change once and then a 600m walk apparently.

With regard to accepting the rebuild - I did my due diligence prior to purchase. There isn't anyone that could have predicted a second valve seat failure, so it is just bad luck. I can't blame myself or anyone.

I've done a lot of work on the car and with the engine and additional bits being done, it will be very close to a zero mile car from a mechanical perspective, so as bulletproof as I can make it like you said. It's a huge chunk of change from one financial perspective, but as you say, it is stable from a depreciation perspective. The wife's BMW has cost us €20,000 in 3 years and I doubt i'll Lose that much during my ownership.

Regards

Padraig

Car nearly ready. Dyno complete and its having a final shakedown. Flights booked. Picking up the car on Tuesday the 30th as i cant get over any sooner.

Going to do a trip back through Wales and stay in Aberystwyth that night and get a ferry back to Dublin on the 31st. I have a route i did a few years ago (albeit in my then TR6 chasing 2 Boxsters) that i will now do backwards!

Cant wait!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back