Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My '99 C4 bastard

You're gonna fit in well round here mate :thumbs:

Alex said:
You're gonna fit in well round here mate :thumbs:
:mrgreen:

Interesting engine swap V.V thanks for all the great pics.

As you may have read on this forum it seems there are intentions to make use of noise sensitive roadside cameras to catch vehicles exceeding whatever decibels the system decides as breaching applicable regulation.

I know little of TUV regs, though from a poor memory I seem to think that they can apply relative to any modification from the original equipment used in the design and construction of any motor vehicle...? That possibly being the case it would seem that your non original silencers having been TUV approved, will create no risk of issues should the roadside sound seeking systems become part of the EU`s monitoring of the masses.. :?:

The sound camera thing is a UK initiative - it's not an EU thing.

It's also a non-issue, I suspect - the article that the BBC published said that these would be for (essentially) very loud motorcycles in built up areas.

Areas, not to put too fine a point on it, where I'm in third gear with a very small throttle opening, so even in a car that scored 105 dB at Brands Hatch, I'm making hardly any noise.

= if you get caught by one of these sound-penalty-cameras then you deserve it, and you'd need to be in the UK for it to happen to you.

TàœV regulations are actually stricter than Norwegian regulations, so basically you can get away with most aftermarket parts as long as they are branded "TàœV approved" or carry a specific TàœV certificate.

Sounds like the UK government is going all in to make life hard for petrolheads? :cop: :roll:

The upside is most modern sat navs will tell you the camera is there (Waze even inform you where portable ones are if other drives have notified them).

Long time, no post...

I've managed to do a few things with the car this summer, despite not being able to drive it much more than 200ish miles. I've had the frunk resprayed along with the aero kit components. Mounting was fairly straight forward. I found the hardest part was to remove the original factory double sided tape from the side skirts. I probably spent somewhere between 3 and 4 hours just to make sure I got every little bit of it before applying the new tape. Some new, decent automotive tape (3M or similar) seemed almost impossible to source from a local store, so I ended up getting some from the body shop that sprayed the aero kit parts. I am very happy with the look of the car. I also added the lip for a little personal touch.

A few days ago, the ABS started to interfere for no apparent reason. I'm suspecting a sensor on it's way out. I had the ABS reluctor rings cleaned last spring, but I'm still going to check them.

Attachments

• 20191019_185622_213.jpg
    20191019_185622_213.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 3,421
  • 20191019_185604_719.jpg
    20191019_185604_719.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 3,419
  • 20191019_185613_191.jpg
    20191019_185613_191.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 3,417
The rings can split and cause havoc.

Alex said:
The rings can split and cause havoc.
I am aware, that's why I still hold them as suspects :)
Unfortunately, I will probably not be able to do anything with it right now. We're in the middle of refurbishing our kitchen and bathroom, so I'll have a hard time arguing for some time off to tinker with the car :wack: Besides, it's hibernation time, so it will have to wait until spring. I suppose the easiest way will be to partially pull the drive shafts in order to get a good, clear view of the reluctor rings?

Symptoms are: ABS interfering, regardless of speed (needs to be confirmed). No lights flashing. Sometimes, you can tap the brake pedal lightly without the ABS kicking in.

I've they've split you can easily see it without removing anything.

Thanks, I'll try to have a look before the weekend.

I inspected and cleaned the ABS reluctor rings on both sides of the front axle today, but nothing changed. For various reasons, I'm beginning to suspect the left front speed sensor. Will have to sort it out later, as the car is being stored for the winter this friday.

It's a doddle to test them if you have a multi-meter. Don't even have to remove the wheel if you can reach round and disconnect it.

Looking good! Mk1 aerokit is a very pretty car. Need new wheels though :grin: :wink:

Here's my old car visiting your homeland:
img_2118_50e_172.jpg

4x4 my favourite! wish I got a 996 C4 over my 997S..

A centre console delete would suit great IMHO, and would delete car phone kit at the same time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back