Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant loss or not... ??

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
I've noticed my coolant low a couple of times recently and I don't know if it's got a leak or just getting air out of the system.

The background is.... I have the gearbox cooler replaced recently and at the same time had new radiators put in both sides at the front. Since then I've had no obvious leaks on the garage floor when it's been hot or cold.... but I have had the tank go from max to minimum twice, once after a trip to Paris and back and another on a 200 round trip last weekend.

So any thoughts on it leaking somewhere, some impending engine catastrophe or just air in the system working it way out.

Any ideas would be appreciated

It can take some time for all the air to come out of the system, after replacing my water pump I think I was topping up for a couple of weeks.There may be another issue like water pump which sometimes only leaks when running, as in my case. I know the tendency is to think catastrophe but its unlikely.

Did you use the proper vacuum tool to purge and refill the system or the more conventional method? If vacuum, you may have a leak, if conventional probably as you surmised air still in the system. I would just check the top is tight the bleed is closed and keep an eye on it.

jl-c said:
Did you use the proper vacuum tool to purge and refill the system or the more conventional method? If vacuum, you may have a leak, if conventional probably as you surmised air still in the system. I would just check the top is tight the bleed is closed and keep an eye on it.

Thanks both.... it was done at a Porsche Indy so i'm guessing they would have used a vacuum.

Will see how it is after another 500 miles and if still not right I will let them have a look.

I would have a look at your waterpump, mine was leaking very slightly on the 987 Boxster S since I bought it, maybe 1 litre over 4 years and 5000 miles, I never noticed the leak until it finally died and then could see the signs of a leak over time when I replaced it ( 58K miles ) :thumb:

I never saw a drop of coolant on the floor in all that time because of the undertrays :thumbs:

Monitor it .. if it goes low again then you have a slow leak somewhere ... and so far i'm hedging my bet that way ... it may go low once after work has been done but twice is unusual .. three times is a fault .

Any sign of white dried coolant residue around the expansion tank cap? engine cover? struts for deck lid?

The rubber seals can go on the cap, may be worth replacing as the part is less than £20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back