Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Zenith Blue C4 993 - now mine :-)

I don't believe setting 0 for fan speed is automatic. I've never experienced it doing anything other than blowing at ultra low speed when in that position.

If the temperature setting works OK at its extremes but not well in the intermediate range, it's possible that the thermistor (temperature sensor) needs looking at. It's located in the CCU. Tore B may have a fix for this.

ollster said:
I wasn't aware 0 on the ccu was a variable speed function, can anyone else confirm this as i thought I knew most things about my car after 10 years but would be nice to find something new :lol:

9xxnick said:
I don't believe setting 0 for fan speed is automatic. I've never experienced it doing anything other than blowing at ultra low speed when in that position.

If the temperature setting works OK at its extremes but not well in the intermediate range, it's possible that the thermistor (temperature sensor) needs looking at. It's located in the CCU. Tore B may have a fix for this.

I went from the "note" from the 993 essential companion - extract attached - though I don't think in my case that is what is happening. Initially it operates and car gets warm quickly but then thermometer begins to miss-read.

Elsewhere I've read both fluff-blockages and a failing fan within the CCU can cause it to read internal control-unit temperature rather than accurately measure the car interior - though the site didn't say if that was a mini fan within the unit or the mixer one behind the unit can hear in the background if I turn on the ignition without starting the car. To diagnose mentioned hooking up diagnostic to read the absolute temp from OBD but I've tried my DCAN+K cable and the rennlist app to no avail.

Attachments

• img_20190506_194054_203.jpg
    img_20190506_194054_203.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 3,279
I'd read that to mean that although setting 0 is always for minimal fan speed, the actual speed the fan runs at is dependent on the temperature of the resistor pack which controls the fan speed on the various available settings.

This resistor pack sits in the airflow of the ventilation system and it would make sense for it to receive additional cooling (higher fan speed) if it's getting hot.

I wouldn't interpret it to mean that the system works like a fully automatic climate control system where fan speed as well as air temperature is controlled automatically to provide the chosen interior temperature.

I believe the CCU fan is integral with the unit. Fluff on the thermistor could potentially cause it to mis-read but there could be other issues at work too.

tyinsky said:
Nice. Hope it brings many hours of happiness. Does it live on the street?

Garaged...was only allowed if I could make the sums with with garage/gated covered rental. Less to do with security and more because people can't park and the bin men are brural Actually with £270 pa to add to the multi car policy is not too bad, . So with a bit of man maths I made it work

Re: petrol

stichill99 said:
A quarter tank of petrol you say, I would have been happy with that,when mine was delivered I took it out and 1 mile down the road the fuel light came on! 3 miles down the road the brake pad wear indicator light came on!

To be fair they're going to make this bit good for me. I can't fault the Comms. Time will tell on the car... Going into Torque for a once over and a couple of things I want doing in a couple of weeks

quick update after post purchase inspection

Hi

Car's been with Sid at Porsche Torque this week. Apparently it's a "good one".

Needed
OSR wishbone (bushes worn - I was expecting this as NSR was done a couple of years ago at Centre Gravity, but not this one)

Front ARB links (slight play, apparently a few years left in them with sub 5000 miles a year - but I figures why miss out on the benefit now?)

Power steering hose had some weeping - replaced.

Slight oil weep between crankcase and head ( I think that's what he said) - advised very minor and not to worry until something else determines engine needs to come out. Probably won't even notice the oil. Rest of the usual gaskets/culprits are dry.

That's it - apart from a temperamental dash backlight and temperamental drivers door light switch- I'd spotted both but forgotten to ask to get them done until I went to pickup the car. I was relieved that Sid managed to find a spare switch in his box of tricks in the loft and had a thoroughly good natter while he dealt with those last few things.

Happy bunny ! Only slight downer is that next door is a wood-working shop and I think my car had been parked under the extractor - so had lots of lovely sawdust. No harm done and an excuse to give the car a quick rinse when I got home. :)

Chris

p.s. Anyone know a Burnt Orange 911 GT3 RS ("?Dr Zeus?"). Crossing the blackwall tunnel. Nice car!

G64 21-20 vs G64 21-20

p.s. definitely notice the longer range gearbox in this one compared to the cross-over with the Varioram+pre-Varioram gearbox. 2nd in this is well over 65 and almost too leggy and 6th feels almost like a 6.5 ratio. - But fine for the road and mpg isn't too bad and the engine doesn't seem to mind it - which I guess is the point. Can't help thinking though if the car was designed-for the shorter ratios - The Arena at WC had the shorter ratios so hope whoever has that knows what they've got !

Creak resolved (?)

Hi

Just another brief update... The creak around the windscreen was bothering me (I'd already peeled back the seals to check for corrosion before buying and previous owner had some corrective work done by JZM I think before they'd bought it)

I asked Paul @Glasstec out to remove and refit the screen. He confirmed the previous treatment had been done to a good standard back to metal but the screen both being non-OE and being poorly fitted too high and without any backfill to the sealant probably to blame for the noise. Because no backfill there was a little surface rust which he was able to take care of with his bag-of-tricks but generally felt the car was in better nick than many. To be honest this was the probably the last job that I was fearing what might be found under the inner seals - to say is a relief is an understatement.

Another understatement would be to say Paul found the reinstall frustrating.
He found the non-Porsche (Pillkington) screen challenging due to lower quality screen-frame and was non-plussed to find that the previous fitter had wiped excess screen adhesive onto the radio antenna wire - adding time to the removal of the screen. Finally he seemed disappointed that the previous fitter had apparently used chainlube or waxoil in an attempt to apparently quieten the screen and took him an age to degrease and clean up the mess !
:frustrated:

But he got the job done and in non-ideal lighting in the car-garage due to the rain yesterday - I mentioned to him that I cannot imagine a high-street fitter ever being allowed the time even if they wanted to take the care that he provided on the job.

Initial impressions are favourable - :thumb: I can now hear the more normal creaks of the leather etc where before they were drowned out by the screen. I'll update after a more thorough drive but certainly no creak when turning into my road which has a speed-bump right on the entrance so certain to apply torsional forces.

But this morning I've been tinkering with the car :-

Fitted some new car mat retainers (one had broken toggle clip), also one of the L-shaped boot carpet snap-clips. (had broken - wasn't before but I guess the original 23+ year old plastic was brittle).

Also given it a good wash and polish - the first of the year and my ownership and always a good way to get to know the warts, if any, on a car. I think this car has weathered extremely well. I guess the freshen-up of paint around the rear wheel arches and door panel that a previous owner had done helps - and even on close inspection and knowing where some previous work was done I cannot see anything that doesn't exactly like original paint over the entire car - There are a couple of touch-in chips that I think I could've done a better-job of.
I can also witness perhaps a half-inch only of what I believe is some paint/clearcoat having sunk a into presumably a deeper scratch just forward of the NS door mirror. Only visible when you're at the polishing-off level of attention and it's just forward of the door mirror and looks like it fades out as if it were heading under the mirror so I wouldn't bet against this being the tail-end of some oik's handiwork with a key on the car at some point.
:judge:

I would guess there was a longer scratch and the body-shop didn't pay as much attention forward of the mirror as they might (though the receipts include new seals for the door-furniture) so was a proper-job.
If that was the cause of the new paint then the rest of the door and NSR wing etc is faultless and I can be happy to chalk that down as one of likely the stories on the car.

Chris

Pictures

Photos of screenprep and after a good polish

Attachments

• img_20190607_153207_203.jpg
    img_20190607_153207_203.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,662
  • img_20190608_154448cropped_182.jpg
    img_20190608_154448cropped_182.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,662
  • sketch101232859~2_171.jpg
    sketch101232859~2_171.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 2,412
Singing Porsche

By the way. Do your cars sing to you? Mine does every few minutes from the centre of the dash.... Softly... Doh, Ray, Meeee, pauses, Meeee, Ray, doh. And then quiet for a few minutes. Only when stationary or moving slowly

Curious

Re: Singing Porsche

crypticc said:
By the way. Do your cars sing to you? Mine does every few minutes from the centre of the dash.... Softly... Doh, Ray, Meeee, pauses, Meeee, Ray, doh. And then quiet for a few minutes. Only when stationary or moving slowly
Sounds like the C4's high-pressure brake booster pump just doing it's stuff...

Re: Singing Porsche

Chris993C2 said:
crypticc said:
Sounds like the C4's high-pressure brake booster pump just doing it's stuff...

Okay. Was thinking along the same lines.. Googling a bit I hope never fails because looks like they're hard to come by.

Thanks for providing an update Chris. Car is looking great, hard to imagine a sports car of that age can be in such good condition, it`s a minter :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back