Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Owner - 911-997 Carerra 4s

Raj Singh

Hi all,
thought i'd introduce myself on here.
I've recently purchased a 911 997 Carerra 4s having the itch for a while.
I've come from a BMW m3 background and currently own an e92 m3 but sold the e46 m3 to help fund the move over to a 997.

Having sold the e46, I managed to find a rather tidy C4s for sale at a dealership fairly local to me, specs as follows

2006 manual
Basalt black
50k miles
Black leather interior
Sports chrono
Sports seats
Sports exhaust
Bose sound system

First impressions are that it's a step up from the e46 m3 especial in the build quality area, having the engine in the rear is such a different drive to what i'm used to so it may take me a while to get to grips with the c4s.

Plans for the car

Detail the paintwork and interior
Apply a ceramic coating
Change the alloys for lobster claws (swap anyone) :)
Lower on coilovers or eibach springs
Oil change and filter change, (I always do an interim change on all of my cars)
Refresh the interior trims that are scratched using Bradley's soft plastic with colour match, I've used this product previously on the M3 csl seat backs and it's a 100% match to oem material.
Refresh the leather interior
Steering wheel retrim in alcantara with matching gear stick and handbrake
Remove the PCM 2.1 unit and replace with a more modern unit

Anyway, here's some pictures of the car as it stands, comments and advise welcome!

IMG-4281.jpg

IMG-4275.jpg

IMG-4276.jpg

IMG-4274.jpg

IMG-4279.jpg

IMG-4277.jpg

:welcome: to 911uk Raj

I'll be interested to hear how you feel the 997 compares to your old E46.

Looks, very nice. Congrats and enjoy the ownership of having a Porsche. I've also been lurking on here a while, but never posted. Have now :eek:

I changed the thermostat to a low temperature (LTT) one, to help with the dreaded bore scoring issues the gen 1 997s can suffer from. I also drop the oil every 12 months. I looked at this forum and others and the general consensus was that mobile1 oil is pants and other oils are better. I went for Millers (CFS 5W40 NFS) in the end

i also keep and eye on the oil consumption. Again heavy usage of the engine burning oil could be caused by scored cylinders.

I personally like modding the 997. The center console to be painted in body colour or in carbon fiber (not cheap) is very nice in my opinion. Painting the seat backs is also a nice option to modding the car, but this might not work with black on black 997

I also dumped the PCM. I went for a pioneer unit that supports Apple Car Play/Android Auto etc. Its way better than the PCM. But I've kept the PCM should I want to revert the car back to its original configuration.

Did you have a PPI completed on the car, or did you buy on condition etc?

Cheers
heuerdude

Attachments

• img_1704_688.jpg
    img_1704_688.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 3,017
T8 said:
:welcome: to 911uk Raj

I'll be interested to hear how you feel the 997 compares to your old E46.

Thanks mate

I'll update the thread with a comparison in due time, I'm still learning the c4s.

heuer_c2s said:
Looks, very nice. Congrats and enjoy the ownership of having a Porsche. I've also been lurking on here a while, but never posted. Have now :eek:

I changed the thermostat to a low temperature (LTT) one, to help with the dreaded bore scoring issues the gen 1 997s can suffer from. I also drop the oil every 12 months. I looked at this forum and others and the general consensus was that mobile1 oil is pants and other oils are better. I went for Millers (CFS 5W40 NFS) in the end

i also keep and eye on the oil consumption. Again heavy usage of the engine burning oil could be caused by scored cylinders.

I personally like modding the 997. The center console to be painted in body colour or in carbon fiber (not cheap) is very nice in my opinion. Painting the seat backs is also a nice option to modding the car, but this might not work with black on black 997

I also dumped the PCM. I went for a pioneer unit that supports Apple Car Play/Android Auto etc. Its way better than the PCM. But I've kept the PCM should I want to revert the car back to its original configuration.

Cheers
heuerdude

Thanks mate, the car is lovely but needs a good detail!

Do you have any more information on your PCM replacement set up? Which loom is required, facia, the quality of the sound and where you got it fitted from?

Thanks

Nice car.

I had a similar list of mods when I first bought mine.

All have added to the car and have enjoyed the process.

heuer_c2s said:
I also dumped the PCM. I went for a pioneer unit that supports Apple Car Play/Android Auto etc.

Which Pioneer unit is this please?

tony_i said:
heuer_c2s said:
I also dumped the PCM. I went for a pioneer unit that supports Apple Car Play/Android Auto etc.

Which Pioneer unit is this please?

Hi, its this one:

Pioneer AVH-Z9100DAB

great, unit have a look at the spec. Does apple car play via wireless or wired. Sound on my none Bose 997 sounds much better than the PCM unit.

:grin:

Happy hunting.

Raj Singh said:
heuer_c2s said:

Cheers
heuerdude

Do you have any more information on your PCM replacement set up? Which loom is required, facia, the quality of the sound and where you got it fitted from?

Thanks

No worries boss,

The loom required changes depending on whether the car has the Bose vs none Bose. As your car has the Bose a different set-up is required to potentially bypass the amp. I'm not 100% sure.

There is also a connection/loom to allow the steering wheel controls to work through the new unit. I have these controls and these work well.

The fascia is produced for most double-din units (gen 1 grey or gen 2 ). So you can go for most units Sony/Alpline/Kenwood etc

I chose the pioneer avh-z9100dab. It has great spec have a look, a feature to change the splash screen so that i can display the logo of my choice made it a no brainier. I wanted the unit to look OEM and chose the Porsche logo from the PCM unit :lol:

The sound on my 997, with no Bose sounds far better with the Pioneer than the older PCM unit did.

I had the guys at unique integrations in high Wycombe do the work on my 997. Did a great job, i'm sure they can provide advise on the install with the Bose option :wink:

Enjoy the C4s, the PSE option sounds sweet and is totally addictive i can't turn mine off, which isn't an issue until you need to start the car early in the morning. :?:

You have stealth mode :thumb:

Heuerdude

heuer_c2s said:
Raj Singh said:
heuer_c2s said:

Cheers
heuerdude

Thanks

No worries boss,

The loom required changes depending on whether the car has the Bose vs none Bose. As your car has the Bose a different set-up is required to potentially bypass the amp. I'm not 100% sure.

There is also a connection/loom to allow the steering wheel controls to work through the new unit. I have these controls and these work well.

The fascia is produced for most double-din units (gen 1 grey or gen 2 ). So you can go for most units Sony/Alpline/Kenwood etc

I chose the pioneer avh-z9100dab. It has great spec have a look, a feature to change the splash screen so that i can display the logo of my choice made it a no brainier. I wanted the unit to look OEM and chose the Porsche logo from the PCM unit :lol:

The sound on my 997, with no Bose sounds far better with the Pioneer than the older PCM unit did.

I had the guys at unique integrations in high Wycombe do the work on my 997. Did a great job, i'm sure they can provide advise on the install with the Bose option :wink:

Enjoy the C4s, the PSE option sounds sweet and is totally addictive i can't turn mine off, which isn't an issue until you need to start the car early in the morning. :?:

You have stealth mode :thumb:

Heuerdude

Thanks for the detail with the audio set up, this is something I will be doing in the next couple of weeks.

I'm the same boat with the Sports exhaust, it was retro fitted by RSJ so I don't have the button to close the valves, do you know of any work around? My neighbors will be pissed if I ever start the car up at 6am!

Thanks for the detail with the audio set up, this is something I will be doing in the next couple of weeks.

I'm the same boat with the Sports exhaust, it was retro fitted by RSJ so I don't have the button to close the valves, do you know of any work around? My neighbors will be pissed if I ever start the car up at 6am![/quote]

:what:

Ah, I think the only option, would be to add the electrics to open the valves when you have sport Chrono enabled. The electrics might be there, I've seen
posts where owners that want permanent sports exhaust with PSE, disconnect the solenoid in the engine bay to achieve our set-up. Picture attached. If you don't have this part in your car, i suspect that adding the electrics may be quite expensive if even possible.

Some other members on this forum, may have more knowledge than I do in this area :dont know:

Sorry, i thought you had PSE, linked to Sports Chrono.

:frustrated:

Attachments

• img_0003_115.jpg
    img_0003_115.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 2,554
Welcome to the forum,

Car looks great. I love the clean lines with no rear wiper.

You've also got the right seats and the right exhaust. Good spec. Will look great with ceramic coating on.

I'm sure you'll find someone willing to swap lobsters for your wheels (which incidentally are from a Gen2, so not as it left the factory).

I recommend CAT driver training, at Milbrook, they will show you how to get the most from the car. Its a great day out and money well spent as you'll reap the rewards on every spirited drive.

compared to e46 and e92

i am also very interested to hear how do you compare it to e46 and e92 as I am currently there, but looking at 997 C 2S for some time. Not sure why :)

Great looking car, congrats!

Always liked the claws on the Gen 1 :thumb:

Good set of mods planned too....

P.s. Love the E46 M3, so comparison will be interesting.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back