Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

F1 Canadian GP

peterzoom said:
No doubt in my view that Seb made a mistake under pressure.

Lewis clearly had to back off as Seb rejoined the track.
So in my opinion, Lewis would have gone through and Seb would have had to chase him down if he wanted the position back, you know... like actually racing.

However Seb chose to open out the steering, kept his right foot in and left Lewis to make allowances for the red cars new trajectory. Seb knew Lewis was all over him just before his off and had every reason to know where Lewis was most likely to be on track. However he chose to act as if he were completely on his own with no regard for his competitor. Seb could and should have rejoined with more consideration for others, he made a mistake, there are consequences and if he doesn't recognise that, then that is precisely why the stewards had to step in.

Yep, the stewards would have had the telemetry and if Seb kept his foot down rather than lifting it would explain why he struggled to control the car. If he'd lifted he could have kept to the left hand side of the track. There was plenty of room for two cars. I suggest he kept his foot down to ensure Hamilton couldn't get past, hence the penalty.

I gather accelerating with the rear wheels on grass is generally a no no

Edit..or not

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/reason-vettel-punished-canada/4461461/

Makes a change for Ferrari to receive a penalty to the benefit of their closest rivals, it's generally always been Ferrari that have got away with bad behaviour. The incident in Baku being a glaring example of what not to do and I still feel SV should have been hauled over the coals for that one.

Watched the Hunt Lauda documentary the other night and the tricks that Ferrari played to get Hunt disqualified from winning the British GP were laughable but they got away with it.

easternjets said:
Makes a change for Ferrari to receive a penalty to the benefit of their closest rivals, it's generally always been Ferrari that have got away with bad behaviour. The incident in Baku being a glaring example of what not to do and I still feel SV should have been hauled over the coals for that one.

Watched the Hunt Lauda documentary the other night and the tricks that Ferrari played to get Hunt disqualified from winning the British GP were laughable but they got away with it.

Should 100% been black flagged for Baku and sent on an anger management course :D

He only got a 10 sec penalty during the race and afterwards he apologised so he got no further action taken against him, incredible. So the 5 sec penalty Vettle got in Canada was pretty lenient.

As for the race incident the wording I've read is that 'it's a technical infringement of the rules to leave the track and then return immediately to the racing line' that's what Vettel did and he received the penalty.

Slow mo analysis is all very well but it does change the story verses what is happening in real time

still the wrong decision, it's a racing incident

Vettel had the car under control with Hamilton still to his right, then Vettel continued to steer to the right and squeeze Hamilton and force him to brake :judge:

The penalty still spoiled the race though, there should have been a penalty on the next race grid IMHO :grin:

kurlykris said:
Vettel had the car under control with Hamilton still to his right, then Vettel continued to steer to the right and squeeze Hamilton and force him to brake :judge:

The penalty still spoiled the race though, there should have been a penalty on the next race grid IMHO :grin:

I disagree, what happens in a race, stays in the race. Clean slate for the next one.

Well done to Vettel for saying it wasn't Hamilton's fault, no point boing him.

MC

MisterCorn said:
kurlykris said:

I disagree, what happens in a race, stays in the race. Clean slate for the next one.

Well done to Vettel for saying it wasn't Hamilton's fault, no point boing him.

MC

I agree 100%, but the F1 management and FIA insist on a penalty, so there is no right or wrong way to deal with it, either a penalty in the race, or a penalty at the next race :sad:

The rules spoil the racing IMHO, penalty for a gearbox change for instance :?:
Edit : one good lateral impact on a rear wheel from a numpty and nothing to do with you and your gearbox is FUBAR, 5 position grid penalty at the next race and it was someone elses mistake :dont know:

easternjets said:

His membership at 'Ferrari International Assistance' has lapsed :)

Which doc is this sorry?

Vettel could have come off the throttle but he didn't, so I do not buy his "there was nothing I could do" argument.

I think the issue is the rules and lack of consistency, they needed to penalise Vettel because that is what the rules state and they did penalise Max for doing the same thing to Kimi.

But they let this go unpunished in 2016. https://twitter.com/ajicurlyhair/status/1137803007742042112/video/1

No way on earth should Vettel have been penalised for that, utterly ridiculous decision

They were both racing as hard as possible. Vettel makes an error which would have been enough to let Hamilton through, but used a squeeze and block to prevent the overtake. Vettel gained an advantage and should have given up the position. He seemed to have the straight line speed to get it back under DRS.

It would have been even more interesting if Hamilton had not backed out and they had collided and taken one or both out..

Johnd52 said:
They were both racing as hard as possible. Vettel makes an error which would have been enough to let Hamilton through, but used a squeeze and block to prevent the overtake. Vettel gained an advantage and should have given up the position. He seemed to have the straight line speed to get it back under DRS.

It would have been even more interesting if Hamilton had not backed out and they had collided and taken one or both out..

Vettel didn't gain an advantage though, IMO

He was in front and an error meant he ran off track, he managed to get back on and maintain his position, but Hamilton was much closer and could have passed him, but failed to do so

In my eyes no different than half the grid running 30 yards wide at La Source on lap one at Spa because there's no where else to go

As shown above its exactly what Hamilton did to Ricciardo at Monaco, no penalty. given

Plenty of valid points raised on both sides of the argument.

It is a tough one and at first I was sitting on the fence.

But having given it some thought......if where Vettel had gone off was tarmac, he would have continued without losing time (possibly gaining) and LH would not have needed to brake.

But I am sure that everyone would agree, he would then had to give the position up to LH.

The stewards have probably looked at which rule to use and came up with the "rejoining"rule.

As all 4 wheels have left the track it is difficult to not side with this argument.
As a true racer, Seb's "instinct" is to not lose his position, so I would not blame him for his reaction on the track.

As with any rule....interpretation (and "consistent" interpretation) is a major factor and I can see why Ferrari have appealed.

This is being a bit harsh on Seb, but at the end of the day, if he had not made a mistake in the first instance, it would not have occurred. So he should be looking at himself and not blaming stewards.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back