Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aero kit - OEM vs glass fibre side skirts

ViciousViper

Silverstone
First post, so I might as well go all in...

I have fallen completely in love with the 996.1 aero kit, so I'm trying to source a decent quality, still affordable set for my own 996.1 C4. I've stumbled across two kits from porscheshop.co.uk where one of them contains OEM side skirts and the other has glass fibre replicas. Both kits have the OEM front bumper and glass fibre replica "taco" wing. The one with the OEM skirts is nearly 1000 GBP more than the glass fibre version. First; does anyone have any experience with these kits and the quality of the parts? Second; is the OEM side skirts worth the extra cash over the glass fibre ones? (I'm not thinking about resale value, only how good the fitment is and the durability of the part itself). I can definitely live with having "not genuine" parts on my car if it looks the business and the quality is decent.

I know it is possible to find used, genuine GT3/aero parts on ebay, but from what I've seen it'll probably cost me way more in the end to have it prepped and repainted to match my car...

Cheers,
Marius
Norway

I looked at this recently and the OEM stuff is quite rare to find 2nd hand and as you say commands quite a premium. If fitment was the same between the two Id go fibreglass again if your not bothered about originality.

There is a place in the UK called clubautosport that do replica parts at reasonable prices.

Looks like a £900 price gap. The oem parts will need less prep from body shop so overall cost gap will be even less. The oem parts will look better to a potential buyer in future too, although many will still not like the fact it wasn't oem when new. Quite a close call overall which way to go, best option would have prob been to have bought aero kit car to start with as only a small premium compared to adding it later.

I've just gone through this and ended up using oem parts. My reason was a little to do with ocd. But mostly the body shop I use refuse to use aftermarket body parts after trying to fit 3rd party stuff and it not being quite right. It takes them a lot more time to sort and sometimes can't be corrected to match oem and can reflect badly on them.

coullstar said:
I looked at this recently and the OEM stuff is quite rare to find 2nd hand and as you say commands quite a premium. If fitment was the same between the two Id go fibreglass again if your not bothered about originality.

There is a place in the UK called clubautosport that do replica parts at reasonable prices.
Porscheshop claim their parts have good quality, fit and finish. The most critical part (for me) is the front bumper, which is OEM if I end up going with their kit. I am very tempted to go for the fibreglass side sills because of the 900 GBP gap. They can't be THAT bad (or can they? famous last words...). As Mikey mentioned, if I'm going full OEM, parts will most likely fit like a glove without any requirement for adjustment. On the other hand, I'm having a hard time justifying to spend 1500-5000GBP for the rear wing alone :roll:
I can't imagine replica parts having so poor fit and finish that they require modifications in that price range. The clubautosport stuff looks nice (and cheap), although I'm unable to find their Mk1 side sills and rear wing.

All I'd add is before my parts where fitted a chap had a 986 boxster in the bodyshop. He was wanting a GT3 front bumper fitting, bought 2 different third party items (not sure where from), neither fitted correctly. He finally bought a genuine part.

You might be lucky, but it could be an expensive risk.

I bought the side skirts from Carnewal - only place I could find OEM 996.1 items that where less than from OPC. Annoying as the 996.1 skirts are double the cost of 996.2.

Also don't forget buying the correct clips and screws. These don't come with the panels.

sackerley said:
All I'd add is before my parts where fitted a chap had a 986 boxster in the bodyshop. He was wanting a GT3 front bumper fitting, bought 2 different third party items (not sure where from), neither fitted correctly. He finally bought a genuine part.

You might be lucky, but it could be an expensive risk.

I bought the side skirts from Carnewal - only place I could find OEM 996.1 items that where less than from OPC. Annoying as the 996.1 skirts are double the cost of 996.2.

Also don't forget buying the correct clips and screws. These don't come with the panels.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Yes, it's a gamble. One could get lucky, but I've heard a fair bit of horror stories.

Also ViciousViper, please bear in mind that porscheshop co uk have a poor reputation on this forum, they like to take your money and then sometimes actually ship you the parts eventually :nooo:

kurlykris said:
Also ViciousViper, please bear in mind that porscheshop co uk have a poor reputation on this forum, they like to take your money and then sometimes actually ship you the parts eventually :nooo:
I was completely unaware, thank you for warning me. I guess I'll keep an eye on ebay for now...

kurlykris said:

They also like to sell genuine parts from Porsche with a huge mark-up (recent example was the power steering rebuild kit for my 944 which was £25 from Porscheshop and £8 from Porsche, yes I sent it back after I'd checked the part number on PET2).

Not just me then - Id ordered parts from them, they took the money. Then no delivery or contact for a month, a few emails where sent to them, no reply. Finally after 8 weeks I was refunded the money, out of the blue. A very odd way to run a business. I wouldn't use them again.

Horrible! How can they even pretend to be a serious shop when going on like that? I'm definitely staying away from them :x

By the way, I've decided to go the OEM route with the aero kit. I've found an original deck lid/wing for sale in the UK via ebay, and if the seller is willing to ship to Norway, I'll make him an offer. It will probably take some time to collect all the pieces and have them painted, but so be it. I'll probably be better off getting it right the first time, knowing the fit and finish will be right.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back