Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sold 997.2 c2 thinking gts

adi7

Hi folks,
Anyone gone 3.6 c2 to gts ? Enjoyed the c2 for 2 years.. great car except the sowing machine engine noise and dare i say it in general a wee bit hum-drum... was thinking gt3 but love pdk... so gts could be the ticket. Will i notice the extra 40 hp.. do they offer a greater sense of occasion (lower stance... centre locks.. alcantara.. paddle shift) or will i be disappointed with the +£20k premium.
Many Thanks.

adi7 said:
Will i notice the extra 40 hp..

do they offer a greater sense of occasion (lower stance... centre locks.. alcantara.. paddle shift)

or will i be disappointed with the +£20k premium.

Yes, Yes and :dont know:

It's a big premium to pay for a car that on the face of it is quite similar but I know of several people that have done it. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

These threads have a familiar theme. Those that paid the premium say the car is worth the extra. Those of us that never felt it was and didn't stump up the extra continue to voice that view.

I think the problem is that it's a great car that is probably worth an extra £10k, say, but trades at plus £20k. If you have the extra in your pocket, you can't go wrong. It'll come back later when you sell it. For me, the price gap widened over the 6 years and I never made the jump.

I agree with Magic. Objectively, the GTS probably isn't worth a £20k premium over the Carrera, but if the market maintains that gap, and you have the cash available, then go for it.
Unless you dislike alcantara, like I do. Much prefer leather, but most GTS's have all this furry stuff everywhere. Ruins it for me, but I think I'm in a minority on that one.

997.1 Turbo gets my vote, plenty of oomph and no fury nonsense.

Or what about a 991.1 as starting to overlap in price with a 997.2 GTS :?:

Isn't it more like a 60bhp difference between a C2 (345bhp) and a GTS (405bhp?).

You'll definitely notice it. I also think the GTS will feel much nicer as an ownership proposition.

Am just not convinced about the 20k premium.

A GT3 would be markedly different but depending on your intended use might not be the best. Also more money again (by quite a chunk).

A normal 'S' gives you 40bhp more. Would be available with PDK and if you were careful about the options you look for etc could easily feel different enough to give that special feeling again. And is unlikely to run you a 20k difference.

Really depends what you're after.

My perspective on this is sort of in reverse. I got the GTS because in the past I always went for the bare spec, best value for money choice, so this time and it being my first Porsche, I wanted to treat myself.

Every single time I see a similar 4S I think I should have saved a lot of cash and gone for something that looks and feels very similar. More importantly, I would personally (and this is really a matter of personal opinion) feel that the 4S was as special every time I looked at it.

The GTS is very nice don't get me wrong, I love it to bits. But I think I would have loved a 4S and two honeymoons just as much!

This thread has made me glad I'm not the only one. I've seen so many GTS threads where everybody seems to see the value and I'm left scratching my head. Clearly those people are out there (and on here) because the market maintains the gap but I'm glad I'm not in a complete minority of one :)

PS - nothing against the GTS, it's the top of that range and it's great, just the price delta

icekay said:
My perspective on this is sort of in reverse. I got the GTS because in the past I always went for the bare spec, best value for money choice, so this time and it being my first Porsche, I wanted to treat myself.

Every single time I see a similar 4S I think I should have saved a lot of cash and gone for something that looks and feels very similar. More importantly, I would personally (and this is really a matter of personal opinion) feel that the 4S was as special every time I looked at it.

The GTS is very nice don't get me wrong, I love it to bits. But I think I would have loved a 4S and two honeymoons just as much!

Then why not trade down now, can't have lost anything, just locked up in your illiquid asset, no?

Sadly bought at the height of the market so not financially wise to trade down now!

I get the appeal of a GTS and underhand the hype. Not sure on the 20k premium but, as with Porsche, value is so often now dictated by scarcity.

My personal view is that it doesn't get purer than a manual C2 narrowbody. I just enjoy the simplicity of the concept and the fact that there's quite a lot to work with (in terms of the 3.6 litres available, standard suspension set-up and overall build quality/ components etc) whilst still providing all the enjoyment a 911 has to offer.

Sorry, a bit off topic there. Go get a GTS if funds dictate as you obviously sold the C2 for a reason.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts... 20k premium on paper is just part of the crazy porsche / semi scare model world. (2.7rs worth £1m etc). No rush... but if anyone knows of one for sale privately (after 4off 911s getting tired of the dealer premium) i would be very interested.

DRZ911 said:
Or what about a 991.1 as starting to overlap in price with a 997.2 GTS :?:

I went from a 991.1 4s to a 997 GTS.
The GTS is definitely more driver focused car than the 991 in my opinion.
991 is a great car but they just don't feel as nimble or raw as the 997s.
Out of the few 911s I've owned the GTS is going to be long term keeper for sure.

icekay said:
Sadly bought at the height of the market so not financially wise to trade down now!

Has the GTS market specifically moved down then? The C2 I bought 4 years ago looks to sit at the same price now (possibly more now if the mileage had stayed the same) and the Turbo I bought two years ago is also flat/up a bit.

Sales prices not sold prices but I'm comparing the list price then to list price now so apples-apples and all that.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back