Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brembo brake discs & pads vs OEM

Just be aware that when you take the rear discs off, you may find that the handbrake shoes, (which operate against the inside of the disc hub), may need to be replaced.
Not a difficult job, but getting the shoe retaining springs to seat correctly onto the hub and reassembling it all can be fiddly and time consuming, so allow plenty of time.

SRDavis said:
Just be aware that when you take the rear discs off, you may find that the handbrake shoes, (which operate against the inside of the disc hub), may need to be replaced.
Not a difficult job, but getting the shoe retaining springs to seat correctly onto the hub and reassembling it all can be fiddly and time consuming, so allow plenty of time.

Yes, I have heard that the hand brake shoes are a little fiddly, but planning to replace them anyway, they are quite cheap anyway!

DucatiRob said:
Yes, I have heard that the hand brake shoes are a little fiddly, but planning to replace them anyway, they are quite cheap anyway!

Have a heavy duty screwdriver handy to lever the shoes back into position with the springs connected then prepare yourself for skinned knuckles and a lot of swearing! :wall:

I didn't find them all that hard when I did mine. I wouldn't worry about it.

MC

Luck of the draw sometimes, some jobs you think are going to be easy turn into a nightmare! Removing silencers for example, still bear the scars from two years ago :bonk:

On the strength of this have just ordered Brembo discs all-round.
Excellent value on autodoc at the mo.

jonno_ said:
On the strength of this have just ordered Brembo discs all-round.
Excellent value on autodoc at the mo.

Jonno, which ones did you go for? Haven't pushed the button yet! Better price than eBay?

Hi Rob
C.£250 for the 4 inc. the Insurance.

The website seemed to produce just 1 Brembo option I've car details put in
Didn't bother with eBay tbh. Too many Muppets these days!
Hth

Don't forget as well as pads and discs there are also the (anti)vibration plates and wear sensors.
Did you order Rob?

No, haven't ordered yet, just recovering from a serious case of overspendingonsuspesionitis :eek: :D but will do in the next week or two, would like to get them sorted before the Dinslaken trip!

Have looked into the various types, the ones on eBay are an older version, the latest ones are a slightly different desig but the same material, however the older version discs are 200g lighter each which is a fair bit of unsprung mass!

Interesting. I'd not realised that.
For the same dimensions, that's a big weight difference...
GL getting sorted.

Sorry to resurrect the thread....

Could someone help to clarify here. I'm looking at discs and pads for the rear, leaning towards brembo based on a bit of reading around.

What's the difference between these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...404337&hash=item34060120c0:g:0JMAAOSwY8NcgT7n

and

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod...996---997--OE-No-99635240502-and-99635240602/
with
https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod133609/Brake-Pads-Front---Rear-Porsche-997---Cayman-R/

Design911 don't list the brembo part numbers only the OE part number. There seems to be a 1mm difference between the ebay ones and the design911?

After discounts ebay works out ~186gbp vs design911 ~239gbp

Will the ebay ones be right or should I pay the extra for design911?

I have a 2005 997 c2s.

Hi Wattso, I haven't actually got around to doing my discs and pads yet, recovering form swapping out alternator, pulley wheels, water pump and starter cable!

Have a look at the Brembo website, when I was looking I checked out the part numbers from their fitment guide and used that to search/check on eBay etc.

Hertsdriver said:
the ones youve linked on ebay dont fit the 3.8 (according to the link)

why Brembo? have you tried euro car parts or carparts4less?

It does have my year C2S listed as compatible I think.

I think it comes down to what it calls 'heavy duty suspension' vs non heavy duty suspension which I think affects the part number.

@DucatiRob Cheers for that, I think the parts I need are:
Pads P 65 018
Discs 09.C878.11

Available on 'best parts store' ( which looks to be yet another ECP / car parts 4 less spin off? for 192.89gbp

Total cost of brembo rear discs & pads 192.89
Total cost of SEBRO + Texar 201

In answer to the question "why brembo" I'm thinking even if performance is identical ( although from the accounts I can find it seems to suggest marginally better than SEBRO ) then the coating preventing a rust look is a good positive for the same price.

Ultimately though if SEBRO or Pagid are going to perform better / last longer I'd love to hear some accounts of that?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back