Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C2.1 high level brake light bulb type

911Tip

Hi,

Just wondering what type of bulbs go into the high level rear brake light unit please? C2.1 996.

Are these regular bulbs, or can LEDs be used?

Thanks!

Just a word of caution if your changing the bulbs in the retractable spoiler brake light, over time the heat from the engine can make these quite brittle, when I opened mine up to replace a bulb a few of the bulb holder securing tabs came off, rather than £100+ for a new light unit I fixed my old one by soldering the bulb holders to the power supply rails :thumb:

Depends on your view of originality, I bought an aftermarket LED replacement off the internet, LED and it was £56.

Thanks for all the tips!

Had forgotten the brake lights in the spoiler itself.

I decided to order some basic halogen capsule Osram W3W and a "trim tool" to try to avoid breaking the tabs...

I usually use the Osram or PHILIPS warm white LEDs, but think these might be a bit bright.

Guessing the designers uses 3W x7 bulbs = 21W to balance with the two 21W brake filaments on each side?

Just be as careful as you can not to disturb the connections when changing the bulbs :thumb:

maldren said:
Depends on your view of originality, I bought an aftermarket LED replacement off the internet, LED and it was £56.

Mike,

Did the LED one come with a gasket / seal?

Ian

Hi Ian,
yes, it has a soft rubber seal 'stuck' in place around the plastic rim.

Mike

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back