Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 76
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 7
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 4
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

stasis
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried the same thing a couple of weeks ago, I gave up for two reasons, firstly its hard to work on a garage floor tightening the eccentrics without moving them out of adjustment as there is not enough room, to get both arms in. Second as proved by my local who ended up doing it, without rotating plates under the wheels and more importantly sliding plates that allow the wheels to properly move whilst adjusting the camber, the drag of the floor with the weight of car make it pretty impossible to adjust it. I ended up adjusting, moving the car back and fowards to allow it to settle, , repeat, repeat, in the end I was chasing my tail thought I had it spot on, only for the actual measurement on an optiflex was to show it was miles off.

Chris_in_the_UK
Estoril

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok folks - interesting process indeed.

Everything went quite smoothly in the end.

Following the principles used in setting up the Cup cars, the stages that the Cup manual suggests is rear camber first, followed by rear toe, followed by front camber then front toe. This is the sequence I followed.

Firstly a recap on the finer details of the setup - here is a close up of the home made swivel plates made from 2 pieces of perspex number plates on top of each other - very slippery and very necessary, without this you have little chance of making any meaningful adjustments TBH.

First off - check and set the camber. I used a digital angle gauge to make life a little easier.

Couple of considerations...... the reason that I ended up doing the whole alignment thing was a result of me shaping all 4 lower arms, shocks and lowered springs. The lowering of the suspension itself would have been reason enough but the arms I sourced were Meyle items and there have been hints that these can cause problems with geometry set ups.

Rear camber is adjusted by an eccentric bolt/washer combo on the inner lower suspension arm mounting. The arrangement on the rear means that the toe and camber need quite a bit of juggling since one affects the other. The Meyle arms clearly are slightly different to TRW (OEM) ones and the rear camber could not be set less than 1.4 degrees negative. Bit more than I set out for but it's not extreme and if it becomes an issue I'll swap the inner bush for an eccentric one. The toe setting could not be set to zero due to this so I am contemplating putting some adjustable toe arms together to get to zero rear toe as opposed to the 0.5 degree toe in it's currently maxed at.

Front camber is relatively easy to change using the elongated top mount holes.

As a starting point I set the front camber to 1.4 degrees of negative camber.

It's important the set the steering and fix it at the straight ahead position before front toe is attempted. I used a wooden block to facilitate this.

Quite an involved process doing the toe adjustments and small adjustments is the way to go measuring the distance form the wheel rim front and rear to the cords on each wheel. End result - 0.03 degrees of toe in on each front wheel
thumbsup .

All data entered in here - really helps with the process!.

https://www.robrobinette.com/DIYAlignmentCalculator.htm

So - for now this is pretty much as good as it gets for now.

Just looking at some bits to make up some rose jointed adjustable rear to arms to take the rear toe out to zero (be less than £100 for both sides).

Hugely satisfying if not a little intense.

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbsup from me , id not even herd of this before untill you posted and im actually impressed ... and that dont happen very often.

Chris_in_the_UK
Estoril

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE - All done after a recheck just to make sure everything is settled.

Home-brew adjustable rear toe arms in place.

Results - I had another week after this screen shot and the front settings are now identical.

Was it worth it? - For me it was a good learning exercise and I understand suspension geometry much better than I did before.

Time for a cold beer........

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris_in_the_UK wrote:

Was it worth it? - For me it was a good learning exercise and I understand suspension geometry much better than I did before.

Excellent job , you did it along with sorting out problems along the way , you should be working in a garage .. wasted talent doing any other job Smile

ultegra
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same method on my BMWs.

The only tip I would offer is to use a product called SHOCK LEADER rather than paracord. It's a sort of semi-elastic fishing line that stays really taught.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARBIRD-SHOCK-LEADER-50lb-YELLOW-LINE-BEACHCASTER-MULTIPLIER-REELS-AND-RIGS-/161907932104?hash=item25b276fbc8:g:H6IAAOSwAKxWYZHq

Chris_in_the_UK
Estoril

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultegra wrote:
I use the same method on my BMWs.

The only tip I would offer is to use a product called SHOCK LEADER rather than paracord. It's a sort of semi-elastic fishing line that stays really taught.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARBIRD-SHOCK-LEADER-50lb-YELLOW-LINE-BEACHCASTER-MULTIPLIER-REELS-AND-RIGS-/161907932104?hash=item25b276fbc8:g:H6IAAOSwAKxWYZHq

thumbsup

Just ordered some - thanks for the heads up!.

MNC911
Österreich

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, I like people who think outside the box and have a good engineering mind & put to use their abilities.

You should pit your ability by then putting it onto a Hunter afterwards. If it transpires you can get it near bob on, you could be onto a business idea for DIY enthusiasts Thumb
'02 Boxster

BHZ661
Barcelona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent , fantastic work, thumbsup

MNC911
Österreich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris_in_the_UK wrote:

Home-brew adjustable rear toe arms in place.

Results - I had another week after this screen shot and the front settings are now identical.

That looks like a Hereford & Worcester tan colour fire jacket hanging up in the garage Chris. See us ex-fireman spot these things.
'02 Boxster

Kbald
Monza

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the old thread reserction but have been trying to get my set up right after replacing my inner track rods so I can test what else if anything needs replacing on the suspension before I shell out for a full geo.

Having read through this thread it seems a lot more accurate than my simple axle stand and string method as I don't know if the rears are toed in or not. I also then set it up using a Gunson trakrite too but the steering wheel is a few degrees off despite getting in spec readings on the tool.

So my question is how did you ensure the poles were square and set up correctly to make the measurements to start with? I assume you measure and match the centre of the pole off a centre point on the car, if so were there specific points? Also was the cord then the same length to ensure it was all square or is there more too it than this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Kbald
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked things through myself with a bit of Google research. Got some heavy duty 25 mm off conduit and some of the shock leader plus my axle stands and got to work. Measure the back to be the same exactly from the centre of the rear wheels and the same from the front wheels to get a perfect rectangle round the car. Then measured up and put them all in the website and now I have a straight tracking car. I couldn't for the life of me get the rear camber or toe adjustment bolts undone so that's a job for another day.

I've attached a screen shot of my results so far. Front is within spec rear needs a small tweak on the nearside I think unless anyone can advise otherwise? Thanks

Screenshot_20190601-174245.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  259.34 KB
 Viewed:  1141 Time(s)

Screenshot_20190601-174245.png

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: