Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS Indecision - What do I do for the best

OPCs will not touch ims bearings.

That clip makes me wanna hurl. If he thinks (6:30) belting that bearing into an unsupported shaft inside the engine so hard it rocks on the engine mounts is an 'upgrade' , then the guy's a f***ing pleb!!! As for punching a hole in your oil filter housing and totally altering the flow of oil, well that just adds to his stupidity.

Hi Robert,

You can probably tell by now that there are a lot of inconsistent views, opinions and a bit of fact when it comes to IMS bearings. It is probably the most talked about failure item in the 996 engine!!

It is impossible to give cast iron direction that will give you a guaranteed outcome. It is only something you can make your own mind on.

There is little, if anything that can indicate the condition of the IMSB without getting access to inspect it, so it is down to luck / risk.

Direct oil feed is a solution to a problem that some will say doesn't exist, but is a guaranteed way of providing an oil supply to the bearing. If the bearing has survived to date, then there is some indication it is getting a reasonable supply of lubrication.

For me, I would keep the £2k you are potentially considering to spend and the next time a job appears that allows access to the bearing, get it checked and then decide on the course of action. As is sensible advice from the indy, carry out all the work you need to do while the gearbox is out like engine parts, transmission parts, brake pipes, mounts etc. and if you want, a direct oil feed. This is what I am doing. Even though I have preventative maintenance instincts, I wouldn't carry out significant work simply to check the bearing.

Of course, as some members have on here and others who post on other websites have experienced, unexpected catastrophic failure can happen and could happen to you or me tomorrow!!

The direct oil feed pipe runs underside of the engine and risks getting ruptured. If it did it'd be game over for the engine. How's that any use?

A shortened hose version can be shielded and is less vulnerable than the oil filter.

The filter is on the underside of the engine and risks getting ruptured. If it did it'd be game over for the engine. How's that any use?

PS I'm not really advocating DOF should be used. The OP has had it offered to him and a lot of people get reassurance that the IMSB is receiving a good oil feed!!

:thumb:

If the oil filter housing got damaged I'd expect the pressure to fall through the floor, oil light instantly come on and gauge to drop to 0, which would instantly trigger the driver to stop the engine. A hole in that pipe may only trickle oil out over a distance and not show any emergency signs on the dash. By the time it did, the damage would've been done.

Either way, having an extra exposed oil pipe running under the car is higher risk than not having one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back