Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 PDK Sport Design Steering Wheel Advice

Good to hear it went smoothly. Post a pic up so we can see how it looks in the car!

Where did you buy the wheel from in the end?

Martin.

Hi guys,

Congratulations on the new car Appleton ! Looks superb ! I also have a few questions regarding the sports steering wheel as my OPC has fitted a new one on the GTS I have just purchased.

They have advised that because it is a 991 sports wheel the lights will not function? Is there different variants with and without the PASM lights ? Also is the size different to the original sports steering wheel for the 997 as it feels larger, unless I'm mistaken. Any help is appreciated Thanks

Where did you buy the wheel from in the end?

I got it from Design 911, it took about a week to arrive from (I believe) Germany. This is the exact one I ordered and I picked option 3 "For vehicles with PDK with Launch Control".

They have advised that because it is a 991 sports wheel the lights will not function? Is there different variants with and without the PASM lights ?

Did your original steering wheel have the lights on it? That was the case for me, which is why it was an easy swap. If you didn't have them originally then I think you can get option 2 from that same URL.

Also is the size different to the original sports steering wheel for the 997 as it feels larger, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm not sure about the 991 vs 997 size difference but I think this new sports wheel is a little smaller than the regular wheel I've replaced. I've attached a photo of both the old and the new.

Attachments

• img_0437_126.jpeg
    img_0437_126.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5,911
  • media_386.jpg
    media_386.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 5,911
Did your original steering wheel have the lights on it? That was the case for me, which is why it was an easy swap. If you didn't have them originally then I think you can get option 2 from that same URL.

Yes the original steering wheel was the sports design wheel and had the lights on and was working completely fine. The opc had to replace it as the Alcantara was worn out. I have had to kick up a fuss about this unfortunately as initially the OPC had said they can't do anything about it and the lights simply won't work on the new wheel. So the solution thus far has been to let me keep the old steering wheel and the new one.

Now i'm wondering if the newer wheel they've given me can actually have the lights activated or not as it seems there is 3 diff options as shown on Design911.

:?:

I'm not sure about the 991 vs 997 size difference but I think this new sports wheel is a little smaller than the regular wheel I've replaced. I've attached a photo of both the old and the new.

The new one looks so much nicer, exactly the same as what's been fitted on mine. I'll know if there is a size diff once I receive the old steering wheel back.

I ve fitted a lot of Sport design Wheels over the last few years

the question of when the lights work I believe is vin specific to the cars age

the Sport design Wheel was introduced as a option in mid 2010
when you fit the wheel the Workshop manual does tell you to change settings with a PIWIS, but when you read them it seems to be about telling the car it doesn't have a heated steering wheel

on a 2011 chassis year car the lights work, but on most 2008/9 & 10, it doesn't seem to, unless it was factory fit.

the workshop manual says you can only fit it to post 2010 cars, but it definitely works ( minus sport lights) on earlier cars

mark pearce said:
I ve fitted a lot of Sport design Wheels over the last few years

the question of when the lights work I believe is vin specific to the cars age

the Sport design Wheel was introduced as a option in mid 2010
when you fit the wheel the Workshop manual does tell you to change settings with a PIWIS, but when you read them it seems to be about telling the car it doesn't have a heated steering wheel

on a 2011 chassis year car the lights work, but on most 2008/9 & 10, it doesn't seem to, unless it was factory fit.

the workshop manual says you can only fit it to post 2010 cars, but it definitely works ( minus sport lights) on earlier cars

thanks for the info Mark. My car is a late 2011 and the lights were working on the original wheel. I will report this info back to the OPC and see what they say in terms of reprogramming.

mark pearce said:

Does anyone know why that is?

I actually got this done by dealer - couldn't find a brown one...

The actually make 4 different sports design wheels:

2x with paddles
2x without

they did a paddle version with lights and a paddle version without lights - for cars before 2010...
same for non paddle.

the OPC ordered the one with lights but then had to order to other one when it didn't work...

mkoenigsheim said:
The actually make 4 different sports design wheels:

2x with paddles
2x without

they did a paddle version with lights and a paddle version without lights - for cars before 2010...

Didn't know that.

Can you provide the part number for the wheel with paddles and lights designed to work with cars built before 2010?

Hi could do with some help just fitted the new wheel to my 2009 c4s and the horn is not working and will only down shift not up shift. got from ebay do you think its a dud

I think I have replied to your facebook Porsche group question . and hopefully you will see that it needs A/ the multi function option turned on even if it has no MF and B/ a bit of reprogramming with a PIWIS at the OPC make sure its a PIWIS as a durametric from an indy won't be able to do whats needed. I had a similar issue the horn or the gear rocker would work but not both lol , but its a quite easy fix and unless its something I haven't seen before its not a major issue to sort out.

thanks phil 997 not been on facebook but thanks for the reply on there. how much should it cost at the opc I have one up the road from me. my indi said he could do it and needs to run a new wire for the horn to work?

love154 said:
thanks phil 997 not been on facebook but thanks for the reply on there. how much should it cost at the opc I have one up the road from me. my indi said he could do it and needs to run a new wire for the horn to work?

The OPC should be about an hours labour maybe 90mins max. dont take it to the Indi thats not the right solution , its a cheat fix but you really shouldn't need to do that . :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back