Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying a Porsche Cayenne Diesel 958.2

azzyy

Hi Everyone,

So my everyday car got stolen on Thursday night (VW Tiguan R Line) and looks like Police will not find it and i am in process of getting Insurance payout.

I already have Porsche 997.2 Turbo S as weekend car.

For my everyday car I want to go for Porsche Cayenne Diesel 958.2 but what should I be looking out for? what spec should I go for?

I am looking 2016 above which has Euro 6 engine (ad blue) and Upgraded PCM as well.

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

I would recommend the 4.2 V8 as its a monstrous beast and as you are already fond of a bit of power and torque, 997.2 turbo S is a veritable rocket ...
I would say the 4.2 diesel S would compliment the stable nicely .... I find it has stopped me looking at anything else ....what a sound , no way would you think its a diesel ...

Go for one with all the Tech equipment kit ( its basically a GTS bodywork pack)
Air suspension is a must IMHO but be aware in Sport setting .... it has an appetite for front rubber.... Geo setup is a must ......ensure you get it done somewhere reputable .... I had OPC tech working on mine until it was ' almost perfect ....

The only real issue I have had is with the gearbox transfer case, the issue presents as a feeling of driveline shunt at low speeds and a crabbing feeling when moving off. There will be varying degrees of this but its the biggest issue and will eventually fail. Root cause is a design error IMHO due to incorrect breather pipe location which is part of the eventual fix... this allows moisture / water into the unit.
quite good linkee here for issue detail......

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...1-porsche-cayenne-s-transfer-case-issues.html

Warranty , I feel is the safest way to cover for this as mine presented and deteriorated quite rapidly... I had a warranty claim to cover it ( but that's another story ) This appears to be a common issue but Porsche don't publicise or recall to fix but I feel would contribute to fix when pushed .... IF I hadn't had a warranty I would have had it fixed but then disputed the bill.

TBH I would also consider the GTS as its a similar beast but with the nowadays more popular future proof petrol engine .... but....

I cannot fault the Cayenne V8 ....... it can really move and surprises many a roadhog when it sprints away into the distance and they are left with a diminishing view of the quad exhaust pipes...

Keep us posted here ...

T

8)

I would love to go for V8 diesel but I do around 10-15K miles a year and need fuel efficient Cayenne. So the best engine would be for me is V6 diesel.

The 4.2 S Diesel can be relatively economical when driven carefully, giving me upto 35mpg on a long run with cruise control activated. As mentioned, get the spec right (air suspension is a must)!

The transfer case issues seem to arise from the ingress of moisture contaminating the transfer fluid. Draining and replacing the fluid with Ravenol TF-0870 (a simple diy job if you have air suspension) cured the problem in my case and is something I shall now do every 20k miles.

Agree with the above including transfer case, I'm now on my second box done under warranty. I'd go for the pan roof as well its a nice feature.

Pops yours must fly with the Celtic remap is the power delivery smooth still, how does it feel through the transmission? I quite fancy it but don't want to stress the transfer case anymore, or is that not really a concern?

Porkaholic said:
Agree with the above including transfer case, I'm now on my second box done under warranty. I'd go for the pan roof as well its a nice feature.

Pops yours must fly with the Celtic remap is the power delivery smooth still, how does it feel through the transmission? I quite fancy it but don't want to stress the transfer case anymore, or is that not really a concern?

Yes, the Celtic Tuning performance remap has been a revelation. Power delivery is smooth, so are the gear changes, but the acceleration is now incredible! No problems with the transfer box, which I feel is well up to the job, providing the transfer fluid is changed regularly (at least every 20k miles). If you go for it make sure your insurer is remap friendly. I am with LV and they were fine.

Pops said:
The 4.2 S Diesel can be relatively economical when driven carefully, giving me upto 35mpg on a long run with cruise control activated. As mentioned, get the spec right (air suspension is a must)!

The transfer case issues seem to arise from the ingress of moisture contaminating the transfer fluid. Draining and replacing the fluid with Ravenol TF-0870 (a simple diy job if you have air suspension) cured the problem in my case and is something I shall now do every 20k miles.

Guys, V8 diesel will cost me to much and I prefer to stick to V6 engine.

Does V6 engine have issues with Transfer as well? I thought the problem was sorted in the 958 face lift models?

azzyy said:

Does V6 engine have issues with Transfer as well? I thought the problem was sorted in the 958 face lift models?

Agree although the 4.2 V8 sounds good, the extra cost and running costs means it's a nice to have.

As I do know a few things about buying the 958.2

Air Suspension is a must but only 1 in 20 cars have this, but cars that do have this typically have a better spec. It also helps soften the ride with the bigger wheels but as nice as the 21" wheels are, with 35 profile tyres the ride is harder, so stick to 20" which have the best balance of looks and ride. The 18"'s look tiny.

Panoramic Sunroof seems to be on most cars.
Dynamic Lights are a good option.
Memory and Heated Seats should be on most cars.

Land departure warning and 4 zone air con are great options but very very rare.

azzyy said:
Pops said:

Mine is a 958 facelifted 4.2 and had the T/C issue.... read up on the US sites as some of these guys have had recurring (3x) issues on their cars ..

The V6 will have the same issues as its the same drive and running gear...
personally , I think the delta in running costs V8/V6 is insignificant and certainly the V8 sound is worth it ..

I agree on the panoramic roof ...and Roof rails also give the appearance an edge....

There is a Platinum model of the V6 which was a nicely option motor and had a decent look about it too..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back