Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

This ever happen to anyone before.....exploding side window!

infrasilver

Just wondered if this was something anyone had come across, I had never heard of it happening before until it actually did.

I was M1 Southbound in the 50 limit road works last Friday night, lane one with nothing to my right when there was an almighty explosion and the whole glass pane fell in on me and landed everywhere, down my back, on my lap and all inside the seat creases, it was also raining heavily which made things worse. I'm not really sure what happened exactly but I can only assume a stone from the Northbound carriageway due to the angle it would need to be to do that damage. Luckily I got nothing in my eye or have any cuts anywhere.

I couldn't stop as there was no hard shoulder and carried on about 5 miles to the next services, Newport Pagnell to assess the damage and shake the glass from my clothes.

3V1P7UV.jpg

vDatSpS.jpg

I got out and I couldn't believe the mess, there was glass everywhere inside the car, I called my Insurance's glass company and they didn't stock the glass and could only do a plastic (cellophane) type repair and it took them 2 hours to get to us. £75 excess and 20 minutes into the journey later the plastic was already removing itself and I was having to hold it on with my right hand while driving. Luckily the missus had asked them what if it comes off and they gave us the rest of the cellophane roll to take with us, after all we were driving all the way to Paris the next morning, luckily my hotel in Paris had secure parking, a rare thing usually.

I was going to work that night so I spent my time repairing the temp job they did with a better fix which also included duct tape to stop the wind from getting underneath the clear.

Their repair which I had re-done a little already.
UayMjkQ.jpg

My repair.
e8M3tXq.jpg

My repair did last the full journey there and back, some 770 miles luckily but we both needed to wear ear plugs for most of the journey due to the wind noise at high speed.
I also had to crawl out the passenger door each time i needed to get out which became a PITA.

Eurotunnel
sepNo7j.jpg

Touring Paris' sights
DlN3NaI.jpg

On the return leg when passing the same sort of area on the M1 but northbound I got a stone flung from a lorry (I saw it coming at me) and hit my windscreen to crack that too, so that also needed an new one.

I had my new door glass fitted Wednesday and a new windscreen fitted today, I told them that both incidents had happened at the same time and luckily this washed with them and I only had to pay the single excess charge of £75 for both glasses, one glimmer of light in all this I suppose? Although when removing the temp repair it has lifted some of the wrap on the door and that will need redoing. :roll:

Jasus Chris what a pain in the butt but luckily you were not cut and no glass went in your eye ...... bet it gave you a shock though.

Happened to my car in previous ownership. Story I was told it had been out in the sun for several hours then put away in the garage - following morning drivers window was found in a zillion pieces. If its sunny and parked on the drive I tend to leave the sunroof open at the rear edge to prevent heat build up inside and leave open when I garage it, so temps equalise in the cool garage.

On a similar theme there was a watchdog type program highlighting an issue with glass topped patio tables sufferring a similar fate. Investigations found 'inclusions' in the glass, like mini faults, which when super heated caused the glass to shatter.

Wow, glad you're ok, seen it happen on a F458 and glass is glass so I suppose it can happen on any car. Car looks great by the way.. colour doesn't look that dissimilar to mine.

Darren.

It was a bit of a shock at the moment it happened but luckily I kept calm and collected, it happened very similar as in the video posted, I see that lorry passing the Fez the moment it happens and why I assume mine was sent from the opposite carriageway, it's quite a distance but if the stone is travelling at speed I guess the velocity is still there to do the damage.

Darren, I confirmed my suspicion that a Nogaro ish shade would suit the 996 when I saw your car at Goodwood a few years ago, it just took a while to get around to wrapping it. I am considering a full colour change to a similar colour, it totally has changed the car and people's perception to it.

infrasilver said:
It was a bit of a shock at the moment it happened but luckily I kept calm and collected, it happened very similar as in the video posted, I see that lorry passing the Fez the moment it happens and why I assume mine was sent from the opposite carriageway, it's quite a distance but if the stone is travelling at speed I guess the velocity is still there to do the damage.

Darren, I confirmed my suspicion that a Nogaro ish shade would suit the 996 when I saw your car at Goodwood a few years ago, it just took a while to get around to wrapping it. I am considering a full colour change to a similar colour, it totally has changed the car and people's perception to it.

It does look really good. The yellow callipers stand out fantastically too. Mine has the same impression the first words from anyone is 'wow love the colour"

If you've settled on the colour then the next obvious route would be to make it permanent.

Hard colour to photograph though, the sunlight seems to change the colour a lot...

All the best.

Darren.

Attachments

• 521cf93a_9fa7_4a62_a79d_e51014764263_689.jpeg
    521cf93a_9fa7_4a62_a79d_e51014764263_689.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 2,687
  • 767b4ed5_0262_4999_a0a2_d8b55c705b33_548.jpeg
    767b4ed5_0262_4999_a0a2_d8b55c705b33_548.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 2,687
I'd appeal it and explain you were broken down awaiting assistance.

That exact outfit have cancelled tickets at least twice for me. It's a simple online process. Spending money on the premises might help (you can attach proof).

Gutted for you.

Could've been worse though, glass is easier to repair than rear quarter panel for example.

The wrap does look 8)

I'm not sure this helps but the side window just went 'pop' on my father's BMW in the mid 80s. It was just parked in the drive, no extreme conditions, no cricket balls involved. Millions of tiny pieces of glass everywhere.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back