Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 replacement Clutch

hopeydaze

I've just had my car into a respected Indy to replace the clutch. We installed a genuine Porsche clutch.

The consensus was that the new clutch is heavy throughout the whole of the pedal's travel. This contrasts with the Porsche clutch in the past where travel was in two stages, light and then firm.

Porsche say they have changed their clutch so that it is heavier than before. Does anyone have experience of this and whether Porsche have indeed changed their clutch, or am I being told porkies.

At present I'm in the middle of a stand-off between top 993 mechanic and the Porsche parts empire

Porsche don't make their own clutch kits so more than likely that you fitted a Sachs clutch kit, I think they're OEM.

Assuming it has been installed correctly, lubed at the correct points then your new clutch should be lighter and smoother than the one it replaces, if your clutch is too heavy then you need to replace the slave cylinder which sits on the bell housing, these do get tired and don't work effectively.

If you install an aftermarket version such as an MPL you will have a much lighter clutch action, many on this forum (inc myself) have fitted the MPL to great effect. Also bleed your system with fresh fluid.

Trev

When I had my 964 C4 manualTarga back in 1995 in Kuwait I had the clutch changed by OPC Kuwait.The new clutch was so light compared with the original. I loaned the car to my brother in law when he visited me and he came back to my villa limping. He said the clutch was so heavy, and driving in heavy traffic was hard work. That was before the change though.

Don't believe your new clutch should be heavy.

ATB :)

The clutch helper spring gives the feel of light then heavy if the helper spring is incorrectly adjusted. It should be pretty even resistance and yes the MPL is a great mod. Other causes of a heavy clutch are a knackered release lever bearing but that should have been noticed a the clutch install. Currently running LWF and RS clutch it isn't heavy. But previously with std clutch and slave it was.I've driven a 964 in which the clutch was ridiculous, slave and release lever bearing were both knackerd, the owner was obviously ingorant of what it should fell like and has recently had a hip replacement (not surprised).

Thanks for the useful replies. It's clear that a new clutch isn't supposed to be heavy. I have a temporary clutch in at present while this gets resolved- and I must say it's very good- far better than what I had before.

I'll report back when this gets resolved.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back