Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speed limitors on new cars - should we be worried?

Basalt911

Trainee
clearly, a lot in the news about this

whilst it wont directly impact our own cars in the immediate term, surely this will have knock on effects in time...how long, for example before we're forced to retro-fit some kind of device and/or taxed out of our lethal machines with access to unrestricted speed

are you concerned?

My speed restrictor will never work....honest govnor, it broke down today !

No concerns what so ever

really encouraged to hear the unreserved lack of concern...

i'll sleep easier I guess...

Worried... hmm..? The short answer is NO.

Not being known for short answers I tend to try to avoid adopting a blinkered outlook.

On a slightly wider context, the declaration of a climate change emergency in much of the UK and abroad may also have ramifications that could come into play before concerns of speed limiting software becoming part of every new car, before filtering down to be a legal requirement for vehicles to be adapted to match the then current legislation...?

Could be a tad more difficult for some to comply with any such legislation evolution...thinking of the fine old vehicle a pic of which was posted yesterday, I think under a heading "spotted in Tesco car park" or something similar... But then if you have a Porsche or any other vehicle in your household that is digitally controlled then I suspect it may be simpler for government to "convince" you to comply... ?

Of course folk who may consider themselves to be more fortunate to own older vehicles may find legislation puts limitations on usage such as have already been put in place in some capitals of the world in a bid to cut down on pollution, part of which we have seen evolve in recent years, from date of first registration or selective and alternate daily access dependant on the registration details displayed on the numberplate... Also if your car has no cats fitted there are cities where you may not drive your car.

As for the wonderful old vintage Bentley in the car park...hmm..? I suspect it may be a case where mechanical limitations create a situation, or claimed justification whereby considerable restrictions on use may be applied..?

OK, OK...worry, or worry not about any of this stuff. Up till this point I have not even begun to think of the economic consequences for the country, let alone the current values of the vehicles themselves..which may or may not play a part of some investment stratedgy, imagined or otherwise.. :?:

Things like this come out , it always takes time and is never retrofitted .. people like me find a way around them so either way it's not something i would worry about .

I do agree there can be many and varied methods of finding a way around legislation. I do I admit to my natural frustration with technological advance, however trying to ignore the possibilities/ probabilities relative to is`s use/misuse..?

I guess the question was relative to the evolution of monitoring and control of motor vehicles, and for some it would seem a simple matter to adopt a measure of thinking along Orwellian lines, however if you take time to consider the technology that is currently in use relative to monitoring and control of youngsters in search of cheaper Insurance who agree to accept a level of "black box" monitoring, whereby if they are found to be contravening driving standards agreed with their Insurance company... their Insurance cover is AUTOMATICALLY withdrawn... Quite how quickly that might be processed via the DVLA and automated fixed and mobile NPR systems is anybody`s guess,...?

I suspect these days there is no need for a "black box" as we all carry one ourselves, all it takes in to download an APP and your phone will do the rest, perhaps also providing automated warnings of infringement in order to avoid the youngsters being in a situation of suddenly finding themselves driving without Insurance while speeding on the motor way, with all of the "inconvenience" thus associated...?

No need to visit a garage to have any thing fitted or disconnected.... and all this long before 5 G takes control :?:

Go on... say it can never happen folks, politicians could never be that stupid.. :floor: :floor:

Luddite, you are correct, however I now know more and more people who refuse to have a mobile 'phone. It is kind of an inverse reaction to technology I think, similar to all the people who go to retro events re-living the 40's and 50's.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back