Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Loose Gearstick ------------------

-- 997 --

Barcelona
Hi all, what would cause the gearstick to be floppy left-right and also what adjustments are there to eliminate to get a tighter feel? Is there also adjustments to that its easier to shift into gear?

I was told that i could fit a GT3 shift cables, is there any different in fitting a GT3 shift cable over the standard C2/C4, i.e. thicker? More reliable? Easy shifting etc?? Or maybe any other aftermarket stuff?

Cheers

J

Before replacing the cables I would check the cable run/fixings and the shifter itself. It sounds like the bushes in the shifter may be shot in which case replacing the shifter or installing a Short Shift Kit May solve the problem.

systech1 said:
Before replacing the cables I would check the cable run/fixings and the shifter itself. It sounds like the bushes in the shifter may be shot in which case replacing the shifter or installing a Short Shift Kit May solve the problem.

I have a shoet shift kit that was fitted 1600 miles ago, guess it was always like that but am sure aome adjustments can be done to gwt it tighter etc....

Regards to cables am thinking of future proof, maybe fit cables that arw better and more reliable !!

There is a small bushing, solid plastic which works with the left and right motion on a standard shifter. When I upgraded to a B&M and a replica B&M, both didn't have any sort of bushing and this has added some left and right play in the shifter on my 997 and boxster. Prior to the shifter, the knobs were solid with minimal - no left and right wobble. The pros outweight the con with the short shift but it does make it feel crap.. I'm sure a GT3 shifter would be the answer.

I fitted a Function First Shift Right kit to my 996... removed all the looseness by replacing the plastic bushes and yoke with billet alu ones. Great mod and easy to fit whilst maintaining the standard throw.

Alex of these pages could sort you out with a modded short shift with proper bushes.

This function first kit, where could i purchase it from? Maybe an original GT3 shifter can be tge solution!!!

J

Alex modded a 997 shift for my 996, it's a really rifle bolt like lever now.

Where do you live, I'll be at the Fairmile meet tomorrow.

Alex modded a 997 shift for my 996, it's a really rifle bolt like lever now.

Where do you live, I'll be at the Fairmile meet tomorrow.

Mike

Robertb said:
I fitted a Function First Shift Right kit to my 996... removed all the looseness by replacing the plastic bushes and yoke with billet alu ones. Great mod and easy to fit whilst maintaining the standard throw.

Alex of these pages could sort you out with a modded short shift with proper bushes.

As above. Alex will provide you with a sorted solution for quite a bit less than the Function First option. It has worked superbly on my C4S.

pm sent. Sorry guys, was off line yesterday at a family funeral.

My 997 also has a bit of movement left/right on the gear stick. Upon investigation I found it was the white block part which the gear stick engages with, rather than any movement within the actual gear stick itself. The white block is plastic and I guess over the course of 100,000 miles its just worn. Its on my list to replace at some point.

Hi, ok ive added pictures of my short shifter, when moving left to right it has play in it as mentioned, the side bolts are tight. On the left hand side thes a white block piece whith a part of the shifter that sits in, it seems like thats where the play is, would that be the culprit due to wear and tear or is suppose to be like it?

Cheers

J

Attachments

• 20190522_155319_170.jpg
    20190522_155319_170.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,402
  • 20190522_155336_157.jpg
    20190522_155336_157.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,402

Forum statistics

Threads
Members